Emotional effects of abuse on children

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Re: Emotional effects of abuse on children

Post by katiesquilts »

Vickie Noel wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 05:57 Children are individual personalities and each person's genetic makeup is different. Thus, they are all prone to handling things in different manners. The world isn't just all cupcakes and rainbows and a situation that is capable of destroying one person can be the reason another pushes through. I think the author did a good job in highlighting that fact.
I absolutely agree! It's like you were reading my mind when you were writing this post. :lol2:
I think the age when the abuse starts is also important. If they have a foundation made of love and then the abuse starts, they're more likely to be able to pull through and carry on. However, if the abuse is the only thing they've ever known, they never get the chance to build a foundation to stand on.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I think the author did well in portraying different emotional effects of child abuse. Children suffering from abuse react differently, but one thing is certain, it is a traumatic experience that will test the strength of your character.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Makena Mugendi wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 05:39 Yes. The effects of abuse in children are many and varied, and they may last until adulthood. I was recently in a Childhood Trauma seminar and it was very informative. People are never the same after abuse. It just hits differently. But you are definitely right on that.
I am fortunate not to have experience abuse, but for those who have, I pray that one day you will overcome this traumatic experience and be totally freed and healed from this.

The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Psalms 34:18
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalms 147:3
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

katiesquilts wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 18:53
Vickie Noel wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 05:57 Children are individual personalities and each person's genetic makeup is different. Thus, they are all prone to handling things in different manners. The world isn't just all cupcakes and rainbows and a situation that is capable of destroying one person can be the reason another pushes through. I think the author did a good job in highlighting that fact.
I absolutely agree! It's like you were reading my mind when you were writing this post. :lol2:
I think the age when the abuse starts is also important. If they have a foundation made of love and then the abuse starts, they're more likely to be able to pull through and carry on. However, if the abuse is the only thing they've ever known, they never get the chance to build a foundation to stand on.
You're totally right as well! That foundation or the lack of it most times is the difference between who survives and who doesn't. Great comment!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Yes. Very much. The author portrayed in real terms how far reaching emotional abuse is in children. All children are different which also means that effects and outcomes of abuse are unique but bottom line is therere far reaching consequences.
MA
Shweta Shukla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shweta Shukla »

I agree. I appreciated that she showed it through individual characters. And she didn’t hold back. The sheer coldness of Shirley’s treatment of Robyn, both about wetting the bed and killing the steer, was shocking in its boldness, especially considering her age. A lot of authors would have portrayed the family as sticking together no matter what. But I don’t think that’s the reality. Also to have a female react this way instead of the stereotypical son.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

Yeah the author does well in explaining thoroughly how the children are affected emotionally by the abuse that they are being subjected to by their 'father'.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

Considering there are many different forms of abuse and just as many responses to them, I believe Linnane did her best to cover the affects on the children. What happened to them is, sadly, common, but they each perceived how to overcome it differently. Like Vickie Noel said earlier, "a situation that is capable of destroying one person can be the reason another pushes through."
MMJ 47
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MMJ 47 »

The author did very good job portrays all different emotional abuse.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

This author very much gives an honest description of the effects of abuse on children. I have read about this in newspapers and biographies and as part of a social work class.I have also been around children who have been abused and worked with foster kids who come from volatile situations. It is a very accurate description and extremely sad.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

lesler wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 14:21 The author does give an accurate portrayal of the effects of child abuse to the child. There is no specific way it affects each individual person, so there's no right or wrong way.
Interesting comment. It's true that everyone, even children, react to situations (like abuse) differently. The author for a good job of portraying the characters affected.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I've not grown up in an environment like that. So, I might not be the best judge of this. I did feel that the children grew up just fine considering the circumstances though.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Darront24
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darront24.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darront24 »

Nanig83006 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 13:03 Considering there are many different forms of abuse and just as many responses to them, I believe Linnane did her best to cover the affects on the children. What happened to them is, sadly, common, but they each perceived how to overcome it differently. Like Vickie Noel said earlier, "a situation that is capable of destroying one person can be the reason another pushes through."
I agree that the author did a good job covering how different children react since we all have different starting (and breaking) points.
I like how this book gives insights on how it can play out and hopefully get us a step as a society in the right direction.
Turtlelady4
Currently Reading: The Book of Mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-turtlelady4.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Turtlelady4 »

I agree with how the children were portrayed. Abuse affects people differently and I could appreciate that it was a topic the author did not shy away from. Having worked with children in these situations, I find that there isn't a predictor to who will overcome the trauma or how the trauma will manifest itself later.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

The effects of abuse on children may be myriad and varied. It would depend on whether it is emotional, physical, the environment in which the child is brought up! The author does portray some of the effects realistically and heart wrenchingly, but I share the same opinion as a previous author who says that it is just the tip of the iceberg.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”