Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by stacie k »

Jkhorner wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 12:53 I think it is wise to take our cue from King Solomon's words: "there is nothing new under the sun." As to the prevalence of teenage affairs, I can't begin to know the answer, but I agree with many of the other commenters that nowadays the affair is far more likely to be aired publicly, and therefore it appears to happen more often. In the 1950s, Americans were still in the habit of hushing up sexuality of any sort -- especially if the activities proved to be unsavory. An affair might look different today, but fundamentally I believe the issue has been around since the beginning of time.
I agree with you! I'm sad to say that in the two local high schools in my area, there have been cases of inappropriate relationships of teachers/coaches and students.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
carneysm50
Favorite Book: Freedom Is For The Birds
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carneysm50 »

Thursday,April12,2018

Yes, it is less accepted today than in the past, but seems because of our mass media that we hear more of it than in the pass.
slori0488
Currently Reading: The Practice House
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slori0488.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by slori0488 »

NL Hartje wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:38 With recent news headings highlighting teens running away with teachers/neighbors etc, do you think Natalie's relationship with Mr. Glover is more believable in 2018 than in the 1950's scene of this book? Or was it just as prominent then? Has it always been a theme with young girls?
I think the teenager-older adult relationship is just as prominent now as it was in 1950. We hear about it more now because of the plethora of media sources, but I don't think it happened any less sixty years ago. I also believe it happens with both boys and girls. We hear about it more with girls because society has always found it necessary to devalue girls by slut-shaming any chance they get. When the relationship is brought to light, so much focus is put on the girl and her role and not the man's role. He's often painted as the loving family man, upstanding community member or high-ranking executive. The man can do no wrong. The girl is made to look like a money hungry tramp that is sexually active at a young age. No one mentions she was abused. It's sad. When it's an older woman and teenage boy, the woman is again slaughtered in the media. As the adult she is definitely wrong, but her character is always under attack no matter which side she is on.
kabuga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabuga.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by kabuga »

These are the most popular affairs in the world.And the fact that i come from Africa most of the marriages are breaking up because of this and its both sided both women and men do it.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

KatePanlilio wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 01:11 I think this is because teenagers have far more choices than before and they have many ways to do it.
Your comment about them having more choices is very on point. They do have more at their fingertips in regards to people to choose from and places to go.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

carneysm50 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 18:00 4-11-2018
They have become a product that is waiting on a shelf until someone happens to remember that this person, as a celebrity, does not need the attention they are receiving.
Yes, it seems like scandal, of any type, has become a bit of a "product" hasn't it? It often seems like the non-celebrity teens who act out are wanting to be sold into that "celebrity type" status.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

slori0488 wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 21:50 We hear about it more with girls because society has always found it necessary to devalue girls by slut-shaming any chance they get. When the relationship is brought to light, so much focus is put on the girl and her role and not the man's role. He's often painted as the loving family man, upstanding community member or high-ranking executive. The man can do no wrong. The girl is made to look like a money hungry tramp that is sexually active at a young age. No one mentions she was abused.
I love the commentary started by your opinion here and I would love to hear the opinions of others on what you've said. I wonder is this truly the overarching opinion though? I mean, I for one, certainly don't blame or slut shame the teenage girl who's sleeping with her teacher. The adult is always at fault in my mind, be it a male or female adult. :snooty:
-Dr. Seuss
carneysm50
Favorite Book: Freedom Is For The Birds
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by carneysm50 »

Friday, April 13, 2018

Our whole society has determined this is accepted and it is the Victim' fault. Even in courts it seems juries have already made up their minds and this is just another assault on rape victims and their families.

I was thinking of the past and the part rape played in warfare, oh, even in today's warfare rape is the best way to strike a psychological blow for your forces, so it carries over into every day life as abuse and angry.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

I think that in general, the world is slowly becoming a more dangerous place. The digital world is even more prominent and movies, internet, facebook, and more is full of sexualized places and there is just so much out there. So I think extramarital affairs are much more common now then they were back then.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

With the news being all over the place, the affairs then must be happening. Although, to me, it would be more of them being early marriages than extramarital affairs as most happen between the unmarried. But they are happening.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

NL Hartje wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 13:56
BDTheresa wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 03:01 I believe teenage extramarital affairs is more prominent now than then (1950's scene of the book). I recently read about a young boy who married an old billionaire woman.
Well, that seems quite the opposite of the stereotype. :eusa-think:

Considering finances, I certainly feel like the pull to money and material lifestyles are more targeted at youth today than in the past. Maybe this is adding to the appeal of the older lover?
I agree. Today, the youths are seeking a lifestyle of the rich and famous. Money, glamour and the latest technology is what youths toady are striving for, regardless of how they get it. What used to be taboo is now the coolest thing to do or have.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

stacie k wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 14:53
Jkhorner wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 12:53 I think it is wise to take our cue from King Solomon's words: "there is nothing new under the sun." As to the prevalence of teenage affairs, I can't begin to know the answer, but I agree with many of the other commenters that nowadays the affair is far more likely to be aired publicly, and therefore it appears to happen more often. In the 1950s, Americans were still in the habit of hushing up sexuality of any sort -- especially if the activities proved to be unsavory. An affair might look different today, but fundamentally I believe the issue has been around since the beginning of time.
I agree with you! I'm sad to say that in the two local high schools in my area, there have been cases of inappropriate relationships of teachers/coaches and students.
So true. "What's done in the dark, will eventually come to light." Things that were never talked about in the past, is a thing of the past. Think about all the accusations that have surfaced regarding sexual abuse with Catholic priests. Although it did happened years ago, society is just now willing to talk about the situation. It was sad then, and even more so now.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

NL Hartje wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 14:15
slori0488 wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 21:50 We hear about it more with girls because society has always found it necessary to devalue girls by slut-shaming any chance they get. When the relationship is brought to light, so much focus is put on the girl and her role and not the man's role. He's often painted as the loving family man, upstanding community member or high-ranking executive. The man can do no wrong. The girl is made to look like a money hungry tramp that is sexually active at a young age. No one mentions she was abused.
I love the commentary started by your opinion here and I would love to hear the opinions of others on what you've said. I wonder is this truly the overarching opinion though? I mean, I for one, certainly don't blame or slut shame the teenage girl who's sleeping with her teacher. The adult is always at fault in my mind, be it a male or female adult. :snooty:
I am with you 100% on laying blame with the adult. What society fails to realize is, the only person responsible for misconduct, abuse or any other sexual assault, is the perpetrator - the adult. There is a code of ethics that must be followed and once the boundaries have been crossed by the adult, blame rests on the adult, every time. For instance, any if either a girl/boy initiates inappropriate behavior toward a teacher, once that teacher submit to the proposal, the fault rest on the adult.
6912dirtyfeet
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by 6912dirtyfeet »

When a teenager tries to pursue or get involved with a married individual, quickly blame starts being placed on the adult because they are suppose to know better and be a role model. Some of these teenagers today wear clothes that are revealing and enticing to others. It is the idea of how popular they feel they might become if involved in forbidden love triangles, no matter who is being hurt in the process. It is more common today with all the technology we have allowing access to communicating with another person and no one is none the wiser .
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I think they happen more now. In the 1950s, things like this were scandalous. Now, everyone wants to pursue their own happiness and most everyone is applauded for following their bliss. For instance, a confidant of Natalie's in the 1950s might have told her she was shameful, while one of 2018 might try to understand from her point-of-view and sympathise. For this reason, I think people considered the consequences of their actions a bit more then than now.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”