Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Older men being attracted to teenage girls has been around for a long time. I am not saying in anyway that I condone it, but it makes sense biologically, as teenage girls look young and are generally very healthy.

I think that men leaving their wife for teenage girls would be a bit more believable in 2018 rather than 1950s, just due to the natural progression of society. Divorce was taboo back then, and people seemed to care more about following (or at least having the appearance of following) societies guidelines.

However, I do think there were plenty of extramarital affairs between older men and teenage girls, just as there were, and still are, affairs between older women and teenage boys.
Mkpo ikana
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Mkpo ikana »

I think extra marital affairs are far more now than before. it's very common everywhere.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Historically, this kind of age difference has been fairly normalised in many places. Obviously it's a lot more taboo nowadays, and we tend to hear more about it when it happens because of that taboo.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

The longer ago it was, the easier it is to believe for me. Middle-aged men used to marry teenage girls on a regular basis. The idea of an affair doesn't seem so far off in a 1950's time setting when that was a lot closer to the regular forced marriage of children than now is.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

NL Hartje wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:38 With recent news headings highlighting teens running away with teachers/neighbors etc, do you think Natalie's relationship with Mr. Glover is more believable in 2018 than in the 1950's scene of this book? Or was it just as prominent then? Has it always been a theme with young girls?
I think that Natalie's relationship with Mr. Gover would be more believable in 2018 because people are more tolerant now. Depending on a young girl's situation, something like this could happen, especially if they are seeking a positive relationship with an older man.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Offcourse they are happening and its so sad that they are. How i wish teenagers would learn the enormous responsibility that comes with being a parent
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

stalliongirlke wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 06:44 Offcourse they are happening and its so sad that they are. How i wish teenagers would learn the enormous responsibility that comes with being a parent
A lot of them do end up learning that the hard way. Although, I don't think anyone is ever really ready for that responsibility until they're holding the child, and even then many people aren't.
kerricellis
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerricellis.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by kerricellis »

It's really hard to say one way or the other, isn't it? In some ways, it seems like society is less tolerant of these sort of relationships, because we've recognized that they're abusive, and it at least SEEMS like we're prosecuting more often. And we're at least TALKING about the minimum age that a girl can marry in each state. Are we hearing more about it because we're hearing more about EVERYTHING now?? Or are people reporting it more often because they see a problem with it? And girls are becoming sexually active at an earlier age, at least, so maybe affairs that wouldn't have progressed to sex 50 years ago, are progressing to sex now.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I expect that extramarital affairs between the older adult and younger teenager have been happening throughout time, though it seems to be more prevalent in more recent times. Obviously we hear about it more often due to current technology and social norms have changed considerably. I think there was and in many cases still is a tendency to keep things closer to home, but there also seemed to have been more emphasis on family values that would tend to have an effect on the child's decisions, if they had the ability or power to handle the situation.
Sayed2345
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sayed2345 »

Yes, It is happening everywhere, in any society and all over the world, somewhere it is kept secret and somewhere openly. It depends upon the social bindings, somewhere it is totally restricted and under that circumstances it is happening secretly and in other society reversed.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Of course its happening. From the beginning of time and probably not going to end anytime soon.
kimanisam4001
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by kimanisam4001 »

young girls especially in my country are getting abused by being used by old men who call themselves "sponsors".These rich guys seem to use especially girls from colleges and universities believed to be from a humble background.
Taisa123

Post by Taisa123 »

Yes I agree. The world changes every second in a day tremendously... something's cannot be justified in life.
Nastty_e

Post by Nastty_e »

Yes ma'am it actually is, as a matter of fact am a witness
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Sayed2345 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 21:17 Yes, It is happening everywhere, in any society and all over the world, somewhere it is kept secret and somewhere openly. It depends upon the social bindings, somewhere it is totally restricted and under that circumstances it is happening secretly and in other society reversed.
Exactly. Think of it happening in a big city or in a small town only miles from it. That already gives an unbelievably different social environment.
Berry :wine:

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”