What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
luchiann
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Anthills of the Savannah
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchiann.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by luchiann »

There is no single way of dealing with abuse in a home, especially for a child who is reared in such a home. Often times the child may grow up with the idea that such abuse is normal. Friends and the arts are always a good way to get out of the toxic situation; where even that much at least is available.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 16:23 Which are the best means of responding to abuse and other traumatic experiences?
This is a tough question because it varies by person, depth of abuse, and their response to the abuse. I've read accounts of people who were severely abused, physically and psychologically, who turned out to be amazing, functioning adults as well about those on the opposite end of the spectrum who are crippled by their past, or worse, repeat the behavior. The thing I find to be common to the success stories is some sort of intervention, either during or after the abuse, that allows the abused person to build self-esteem and confidence. That could manifest as simply as a place to go that lifts them up and keeps them away from the abuser (after-school program, library with a supportive/engaging staff, etc) or as something more complex like an abusee-rehab kind of place (does that even exist?).

If your someone who is trying to help the abused person, that's even trickier. You respond by being supportive, offer a path out, but ultimately, you have to let them make the decision to leave the situation. Of course, that changes when a child is involved and can not make that decision. My only point here is, you can't help if the individual doesn't want help or won't leave the situation.

That's a lot writing that doesn't really answer the question, but is there one clear answer?
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 16:23 Do you think it is difficult for a writer to describe abusive situations?
I can't even imagine. In order to do it well, it has to come from a place of experience - whether that is real or imagined, it has to take its toll. I think this particular author does a fantastic job; she is very descriptive so far throughout the book whether it's describing the landscape or the situation. To me, the abuse scenes would be mental torture.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

The best way to cope with abuse is to get out of the situation as fast as you can. Call the authorities and turn him in and have your younger siblings come with you. There's therapy so that you can vent about what you're feeling and it helps to channel your feelings in a positive way instead of substance abuse and self-harm. Creative ways like painting, writing songs, journaling, poems, etc should help. No matter what, do not keep your feelings inside.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 16:23 The protagonist in Ironbark Hill is sixteen-year-old Natalie Chapman. She has to cope with verbal, physical and psychological abuse from an alcoholic stepfather. Her answer is fighting back mistreatment and finding a refuge in art.

What is your view on the matter? Is the alcoholic father the only responsible in the family equation? Which are the best means of responding to abuse and other traumatic experiences? Do you think it is difficult for a writer to describe abusive situations?
I think that art is a natural response to anything that causes pain. We want to pour out our hurt and that comes out as painting, or writing poetry/ songs for some of us.
I also think that writing about abusive situations is both easy and difficult - it may come easily to the pen but the mind may not tolerate expressing a certain level of abuse - that's my 2 cents on the matter.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

KLafser wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 12:25
cristinaro wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 16:23 Which are the best means of responding to abuse and other traumatic experiences?
This is a tough question because it varies by person, depth of abuse, and their response to the abuse. I've read accounts of people who were severely abused, physically and psychologically, who turned out to be amazing, functioning adults as well about those on the opposite end of the spectrum who are crippled by their past, or worse, repeat the behavior. The thing I find to be common to the success stories is some sort of intervention, either during or after the abuse, that allows the abused person to build self-esteem and confidence. That could manifest as simply as a place to go that lifts them up and keeps them away from the abuser (after-school program, library with a supportive/engaging staff, etc) or as something more complex like an abusee-rehab kind of place (does that even exist?).

If your someone who is trying to help the abused person, that's even trickier. You respond by being supportive, offer a path out, but ultimately, you have to let them make the decision to leave the situation. Of course, that changes when a child is involved and can not make that decision. My only point here is, you can't help if the individual doesn't want help or won't leave the situation.

That's a lot writing that doesn't really answer the question, but is there one clear answer?

A very good analysis of the question right here. Totally agree with this. The intervention point is so true. I think a lot of these interventions leading to success are divinely appointed.
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

This is such a sensitive and tough issue to portray, so yes in answer to the final part of your question yeah it's definitely a difficult one for a writer to describe. However, at the same time I'm glad the author has tackled it because more representation means more raising of general awareness, which hopefully leads to more victims getting the help or advice they need. Even sparking off discussions like this one is a good thing and I'm loving some of the responses above!
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

cristinaro wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 02:22
lesler wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 14:26 Natalie does a good job overcoming her own abuse, by fighting back. I don't think there's any specific best way to overcome abuse, as everyone is different. Talking things out, and learning is an excellent way, though.
I have just started reading the novel, but I know that Natalie becomes emotionally involved with her employer's husband. I was thinking that she passes from one abuser to another in this way. You are right about talking things out. In her case, it would have been great if her mother had supported her or if at least she had confided in other persons of her own age.
I think that's such an accurate view of what happened. Natalie moved from a known abuser to someone who abuses his power over her. I don't think she would've known what to do with herself in a relationship that was healthy for her and supported her at that point. She's never had a model for that behavior or kind of relationship.

For most people overcoming abuse and abusive situations takes time and help. Abused people have developed and been conditioned into a different worldview than others, and it's a difficult view to overcome. It's also a difficult view for authors to find the words to describe unless they've been through that kind of situation.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Personally, I think that you can tell which authors have experienced abuse themselves from people who have read about it and try to portray it. I think that abuse is so rampant in our society that it is a prominent topic, however, it needs to be given due respect. It can be very hard to depict the effects of abuse as everyone responds to these differently.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

Everyone deals with abuse differently and I don't know if there is one right way. I think the best way is to try to get out of the situation and call the authorities, but I have never been in that situation so maybe it's easy for me to say. Some people stay with their abusers for years and some end up paying with their lives. It's obviously horrible. I think writing about abuse can be hard, especially if the author has been abused themselves. Escaping abuse through art makes sense, as people use their creative side and their imagination to get away from the terrible reality of their situation.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I think Natalie shows strength of character and does a good job overcoming her own abuse. She is a fighter, and I respect that.

Irrespective of what has been done to you, it’s up to you to decide what to do with it. Pain can have a strong transformative power and way of leading people in the right directions. I know it’s easier said than done, but speaking up is the first step someone can take in such a situation.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I must say, I had trouble reading through the abusive sections in the book. I am lucky enough to say that I have never, nor have I ever known anyone that has struggled with any form of abuse. I think it must be a very difficult subject to write about, and for sufferers to read about.
I also don't think there is any right or wrong way to deal with it. Everyone is different, but asking for help is always a good start :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

I have never been abused but I was traumatized due to my illness awhile back. It took me a lot of encouragement from my parents and family members to overcome it but most of all something that helped me was my faith in myself. So it depends on us to how to handle these feelings and in the end it feels nice to get past them.
-R
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

cristinaro wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 02:31
DesireeRose wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 17:44 I think the best way to overcome abuse is to go to therapy and get out of the clutches of the trauma. Both things are really difficult to do, and Natalie did a pretty good job overcoming it by moving against her stepfather.
I have recently talked to somebody who went to therapy and she felt worse. However, I still believe that talking to a good therapist may help a person face his/her demons and gradually learn to live with them or overcome them altogether. In Natalie's case, I am afraid such an option was out of question considering her situation and the times.
Yes, good therapists are very hard to find, and a lot of them do not deserve their jobs.

Nevertheless, I was trying to answer the question in general, and not specifically to Natalie’s case, because therapy was obviously out of the question for her.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

The abusive father is just one person in the equation. The people who are just observing this father abuses his daughter are also responsible. Overcoming trauma and abuse is difficult and I can relate to the story. I wasn't much physically abused but was verbally and mentally abused by my parents, especially my dad. I had to take refuge in art too to help me go trhough it. I am still going through it though. Some days you thought you've overcome it but there would be days where it comes right back up in your mind and in your dreams. Being a writer myself too, writing abusive scenes works both ways: it is difficult if you've been through it because you have to reopen the wounds and it's like you're reliving it. Second, i realized writing and talking about it helps you in accepting and facing what happened.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”