strong character of a woman

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Re: strong character of a woman

Post by Erick Bixen »

n-dai che wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 17:09 The daughter's maturity to protect her mother makes her strong.
Indeed Natalie shows maturity since she thrives to care for her mother at a very tender age.
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

No, it doesn't! The strong character of a woman does not only lay in her ability to endure emotional scourging,but also the ability to stand up against abuse of her children:

The strength of a character of a woman can either be assessed by looking at reaction when you abuse her children,or when you ill-treat her.

In the case of Irma, Natalie's mother,she demonstrated her weakness which is also common in other women.

However, her daughter,Natalie she is a strong girl.
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

Zilelabelle wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:11 That depends, are you referring to the mother or the daughter? Because I think the daughter showed more fortitude and strength of character in protecting her mother.
Natalie is indeed caring to her mother.
Erick Bixen

Post by Erick Bixen »

Erick Bixen wrote: 07 May 2018, 14:59
Zilelabelle wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:11 That depends, are you referring to the mother or the daughter? Because I think the daughter showed more fortitude and strength of character in protecting her mother.
Natalie is indeed caring to her mother.
This situation is real since there are school going children who care for their parents today.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Character is one thing,strength is another.To have both clearly makes you a force to reckon with.To me, this is exactly what Natalie portrayed in her trying moments and my opinion of her does not change. We all have flaws,that doesn't make us any less of who we are.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I think Natalie's mother definitely lacked the strength to fight back in the Prologue of Ironbark Hill. This is an unfortunate reality for many abused women who are too frightened to respond or stand up for themselves against intimidating and violent men. By contrast, Natalie herself showed definite strength in standing up to Alex as he struck her mother. A brief defiance, but impressive nonetheless.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I'd say so! The unhappy home, as you put it, is what drives Natalie to be strong--to protect her mother and to be resilient in the face of, you know, abuse. Readers immediately understand that Natalie is arguably the strongest character they will see (or at least the one they're supposed to be focusing on) and root for her accordingly. :)
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

It doesn't have to. But, I find that it takes great faith to endure hardship. Therefore, yes even in an unhappy home, the prologue convey a strong character of a woman. It takes strength to bear it.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

The strength of the character depends on who they are as a person, regardless of their upbringing or circumstances. In this case, it would depend on the character's resilience and determination to find a better life for themselves.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

Natalie portrays a strong female character and I think it is her unhappy home that has made her resilient and strong.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I think it does, because Natalie is what I would consider a strong female character, even with the unhappy home that she lives in because of her abusive stepfather.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

I think that the unhappy home has shaped Natalie into a strong female character. Since she has survived and persisted through such horrible occurrences, I would definitely classify her as a strong female character. Anyone who has to cope or deal with something like that could no way be considered weak, especially in this case because Natalie tried her very best to do what she could against the abuse.
VirgoRules2018
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virgorules2018.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by VirgoRules2018 »

Strength of character is a key ingredient in surviving an unhappy home. Each day that you remain in some reasonable state of living in that circumstance..is a victory that a weak person may not be able to deal with. It is not until we are faced with struggles that the true nature of who we are ...comes out and shows itself.
Some people give up on the first day and some continue on...until they cannot...anymore.
Until your resolve is tested..you will never be able to assess the durability of your 'skin'. Do not judge a book by its cover and do not judge someone by their circumstance...their story may not be over yet.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

Yes, the prologue convey a strong character of a women. At an early age, she portrayed an admirable adult lady. Helping her mother to take care of the family. In reality, those who came from the bottom and strive hard to live are the one consider strong. You cannot be strong if you are unable to stand through hardship
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I think yes, the strength of her character is quite evident in the prologue. I'm generally more fond of books where women hold onto their strength instead of breaking apart in hard times, because strength generally stands as a marker to deal with situations more maturely and rationally.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”