strong character of a woman

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: strong character of a woman

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Natalie did convey strong character of a woman even in an unhappy home. The strength of a character is built when faced with hardships. In reality, everybody goes through trials in life, and how you overcome these trials in the process is what makes you stronger.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

The daughter's strength in protecting the mum shows the real strength of a woman.
MA
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

True. The strongest woman in this context should be Natalie. She handles all the abuse directed by their father to them in a very mature way.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 21:51 Natalie did convey strong character of a woman even in an unhappy home. The strength of a character is built when faced with hardships. In reality, everybody goes through trials in life, and how you overcome these trials in the process is what makes you stronger.
I feel you. I can relate.
Renu kahar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Renu kahar »

THE Daughter is always very grateful to her mother because she not only showers love and affection but also make her be very confident,always do a great job,be a great entrepreneur in your life no one can betrtay u.
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 09:04 I think the prologue does convey strength of character even in an unhappy home.

Consider a few things for me: does circumstance define the strength of a character? If it doesn't, what does? If it does, doesn't being resilient in the face of hardships qualify as strength?

Also, even if she wasn't a strong character in the prologue, does that really matter? One of the most compelling things for me when I read a new book is character development. The process of finding that strength and resilience will probably be a better story than her being an unchanging source of strength throughout the entire novel.

Just food for thought. :)
I totally agree with you on this, in my opinion how you react in the face of adversity determines how much courage and strength you have deep inside.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Definitely shows a strong women.
The daughter and mother both, maybe the daughter more so for protecting her mother though.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

circumstances bring out the strength in us. that's what happened to natalie.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
kennedibmth
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedibmth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by kennedibmth »

Both female characters are strong women.Especially the daughter, through protecting her mother.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It does because the harder the environment, the stronger the character gets. And I find women to be the most influenced by this.
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

Aisha I wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 02:48 Alas! the strong character of a woman lies in an unhappy home, when a home does lack love, care and affection she gets inspired and become more determined than ever....in this she finds strength in its full force. therefore, the weak character of a woman lies only in a happy and pampered home.
I feel like the strong character of a woman can develop in any situation. Even a pampered wife with perfect children, can have a strong character. One is born with some character, and then as one ages, and learns from their parents, one's character becomes stronger and stronger, depending upon the upbringing. I do believe that events in one's life can build a character into something it was not before.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

In this story, the prologue definitely portrays the strength of character within a chaotic setting. This is shown by Natalie's protective stance towards her mother and siblings, against her abusive step-father.
KatePanlilio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katepanlilio.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by KatePanlilio »

As a woman with the same character, I would agree that an unhappy home builds a strong woman. This experiences brought first hand at home can be considered as a learning for all instead of viewing it as a weakness. These experiences bring a kind of vulnerability but independence at the same time. Kudos to these women! :) :)
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I really agree with a lot of what others have said about this question: the circumstance one finds them self in does not define their strength of character. Whether they are in the circumstance due to decisions in their control or not, it is how they act within those circumstance that defines their character. In this case, I do think she portrays a strong character. She shows bravery but also emotion, something we humans cannot live without.
Elzaavdolli1
Favorite Book: Keini and Abeli
Currently Reading: Something About Ann
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elzaavdolli1 »

Natalie is a strong lady that support her family especially her mother. in an unhappy family results that the children take care of other members of family even that they are very younger. I think that Natalie is an admirable young lady

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”