Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was easy for me to read, and the story is realistic. I feel sorry for Natalie. She is such a brave, young girl. I recommend this book for anyone since it's intriguing and highlights the experiences some kids go through living with stepparents.
kourtnie
Currently Reading: The Happiness Animal
Bookshelf Size: 321

Post by kourtnie »

I have mixed feelings about Linnane's Ironbark Hill. On the one hand, I agree with many reviewers that the characters are easy to relate to; and this is such a strong element to this story. On the other hand, though, I had a difficult time navigating the text because the word choice felt distancing to the reader. Here we're in the first person, up close and personal—I love first person so much!—yet for example, at the end of Chapter 2, the narrator confides in us, "But the first hours of my Memorial Day engendered no such sensation."

She's talking about her birthday. So why couldn't it be, "But the first hours of my birthday brought about no such feelings," just to make the text more accessible?

I also struggled with her wanting to kill her stepfather (Yes, he's an awful person, but is death warranted?), the description of the slaughter in Chapter 3... All-in-all, the book wasn't for me, and I put it down after Chapter 4, which is my break-up point for any book that I'm not emotionally invested in. However, I wouldn't tell someone else to not read it, because again, the characters themselves are easy to relate to—if you can get beyond some of the inaccessible language—and while I'm all about clarity, minimalism, and truth in simplicity, many other readers are all about the character, the bursts of lists of emotions.

So I can see a different reader enjoying this book, and why steer them from that? Give it four chapters. Give everything worth discussing at least four chapters, and we're proving on this forum that Ironbark Hill is worth discussing.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I have just begun to read this one, and I must say, I am finding myself so drawn in by the realistic way that the author has portrayed the characters. The theme of poverty and anger are well written and are detailed so clearly that I feel like this family exists. This is one of those books that when you are not reading it, you catch yourself thinking about the situation as if it is your neighbor or your co-worker. Like I said, I am just into the first seven chapters of it, but so far, she has done a wonderful job of setting a tense scene and is building to something that has got me turning the pages. I will post more once I have completed the entire book. Highly encourage people to get this one on the bookshelf.
Everything happens for a reason...
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Christina Rose wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 00:43
maggiechap wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 19:47 I haven't finished it and I'm about half way through but I love the language of the book and how the author describes everything. I found the word flow and narrative style both beautifully creative and at times distracting. The way the author crafted the story was unique and brilliant. I definitely plan on giving the boo a 4 star review and adding it to my recommended reading list on my blog.
This makes me look forward to diving into this book over the weekend. Thanks!
It's really well worth the read and is my second most favorite book I've had the pleasure of reviewing yet. the language is just incredible.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

I think teenagers will relate more with Natalie,the main character. Some of them are faced with such challenges too.
Books are lovely.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Ironbark Hill is a beautiful book that throws light on social life of middle class people. Here, we see the strong committed to face all odds bravely to her mother siblings. This book is a beautiful read. I would surely recommend it to others.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Christina Rose wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 00:42
anix67 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 17:08
zilizopita1998 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 14:24 I have just voted for this book as the April book of the month. I really liked the role that Natalie played in the story. She is indeed such a strong character.
I agree! I love that this book had such a strong female lead. That is so hard to find.
Strong female leads are an important aspect for me, as well. It's good to hear this book has that covered :)
Yeah and honestly if a book has an incredibly weak female character(s), then I tend to stop reading and move onto a new book.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Aisha I wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 17:42 The book is an inspirational story for the young and old, I love and care so much for Natalie whose struggles and hardworking skills were just to take care of her beloved mother. that's the beauty of the heart of a female child to the parents. all the settings and plotting is perfectly put in place here.
what I dislike so much here is where her mother wasn't there for her as well. I think she would have done better in this book by transferring her care to her daughter as well no matter the circumstances.
I strongly recommend this book to everyone out there, there's always a lesson to be learnt from this inspirational piece
I agree that there is always a lesson to be learned from any inspirational piece. While it is sad that her mother was not there for her as well, I feel like this is commonplace in today's society. When there is someone who has given up everything to be there for you, people tend to take that for granted and do not share that back. They are not thankful in the least that you are there for them. It is something that we can all learn from and hope to be able to pass onto others.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

A very great book. A very good concept. Appropriate for all ages mostly teens. Highly recommendable. Awesome
MA
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I loved this book! 4 out of 4 from me - I thought the story was one of a defiant young woman making her way during tough circumstances. It portrayed the naive decision-making of a 16-year-old facing adult situations amidst adults who were inconsistent in their own behaviors. The one thing I didn't care for was that Natalie seemed to be the only one who could take a stand. I recognize that this is the point of view of a woman looking back over her life and examining her 16th year. When people look back over time, they do remember their side and their experiences, but I'd like to think that with age comes some level of objectivity and fairness in recall.
Kate42
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate42.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Kate42 »

I felt the book had a Jane Austin type feel. I liked Natalie's view and was able to tell her feelings. I didn't like the superfluous overuse of descriptive words. It made reading it more difficult. I also felt the ending was dull.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love the fact that young Natalie is so protective towards her mother and brother. She is a hero at such a young age. Her character will inspire others to fight back when faced with abuse.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I enjoyed the book. I thought it gave a very real portrayal of the discrimination faced by Australian Aboriginals. This made the story transferable to today's society as, unfortunately, this discrimination still persists today. I was not too sure about the ending. I though it felt a bit rushed, particularly as it raised some quite controversial issues at the finish. I was left a bit uncomfortable about how Natty chose to live her life in regards to her relationship. Overall I gave it 3 stars.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The book is a decent read. But, is it better than most books we have seen to be book of the month before? I don't think so.

Natalie's character is commendable. However, I didn't like the ending of the story much. This could have been handled better by the author.

Considering all this, I don't think I'll be recommending this book to anyone at the moment.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I just finished reading this one! I absolutely loved this book. My favorite part was when Natty hides heifer prize heifer Libby. As a farm girl myself, I could relate to her so well at that moment. She would do anything to save her animal's life as would I. My least favorite part was when the stepfather was whipping her over the heifer incident. I felt so much anger at that moment because I could not understand why Irma did not so more to save her from that pain.

I would reccomend this to anyone wanting to read a story about life, struggles, emotions, and how you come through those times.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”