Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Annette Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Post by Annette Smith »

I've enjoyed reading Ironbark Hill, and it probably wouldn't have been on my radar except for it being book of the month.
I loved the writers ability to create strong characters, which helped you to care what happened to them in the story. Although in saying that the ending of the story is probably the part that I liked the least (without giving away spoilers).
I'd definitely recommend the book to others now that I've read it, it was quite enjoyable on a miserable day.
RR Wildstone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rr-wildstone.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by RR Wildstone »

I like how the Author successfully creates an intriguing character named Natalie. The character is really likable and I think most of us can relate with the story as well. The story feels real and probably some people felt the same way as the Natalie. This is a good piece of work and definitely worthy of your time.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

After reading the book i hope i will be a good mother. Natalie is true definition of inner beauty. She cares for her mother and her siblings so much. She took the responsibility of her family despite the presence of her mother as a parent in their lives. I still wonder why her mother could not return the favour for being there for her as well. I recommend the book to adults especially parents.
Ana_Saints
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading: How to Dance with the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-saints.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Ana_Saints »

This book has an inspiring story. Natalie who is the protagonist in Jennie Linnane's Ironbark Hill has a very rough and painful childhood. Living in a home with a harsh father and a battered mother was never easy, but despite of all hurtful challenges she have encountered she stood with a strong strong willing to protect her mother and siblings. Such a good story. I would recommend this this book to anyone especially to the struggling woman who seek to have hope. God Bless this book.
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Bookwormgirl1 »

I have yet to read the book, but after reading these posts and seeing how much most of you enjoyed the book, I am definitely excited to read it myself. It sounds like a good book focusing on a strong young woman and I believe that I will enjoy it.
enojojoseph
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enojojoseph.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by enojojoseph »

Yes, that's true.Nathalie is a personification of a very strong character in the story ,but she later breaks down to her environmental.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

The book is really interesting and decent
enough to be a book of the month. I liked
the character of Natalie.
Xancode
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

Natalie is my favorite character, I symphathise with her. She has to take care of her mum. It's inspiration girls are always there in desperate times.
I'd recommend this book to both the young and old alike.
It's worth being in the market
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I think this book is really interesting. It's a great story. I will definitely recommend this book to both teens and young adults because it relates to their life.
Xancode
Adaedwards
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adaedwards »

Ironbark Hill is a story about Natalie, a 16-year old girl that suffers violence and hardship at the hands of her stepfather. In this book, the author described the characteristic flaws and positive points of each individual extensively. I took a dislike to Alex instantly because he was a bully and very domineering over his family, which Natalie described. She describes a man who not only enjoyed inflicting pain, but who lacked the capability to control his emotions and lacked the ability to understand his actions. The author described the other characters as more calm and compliant, except for Natalie whose patience and tolerance for Alex’s bullying gradually faded the older she got.
One of the things I liked about the book is the fact that Natalie never quit learning, and even with her having just an intermediate certificate, she still had the zeal for further learning.
However, I detested the affair between Natalie and Bruce, because not only was she sixteen and he was in his thirties, the author focused on the situation instead of focusing on the hatred within Shirley. I also disliked that fact that after everything, Alex was still able to manipulate her at the end to do his bidding.
The author was able to keep the reader’s attention with her perspective even with the few punctuation errors and one misspelled word in the book. Using very basic explanations, the author captured the essence of each individual. She was also able to bring wit into a very emotional story, a story of a young woman who was determined to own her life, despite her abusive family. At the end, she did own her life.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

I personally thought the book was amazing. I loved the way the author wove so many different personalities and circumstances into the story. Abuse is heartbreaking at any time, but it is something that many of us have endured or witnessed personally. Adultery is sad, but it too is a fact of life.
Great book and I would say it is a good pick for BOTM.
SEG
bookwormmegan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bookwormmegan »

The book seems interesting, I would probably read it from the review given. It sounds like a book that could cater for a lot a lot of people. I would definately reccomend it.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I loved this book. What I loved the most is the characterization in it.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

I just finished the book yesterday and thought it was amazing. I loved the way the author interwove the segregation of rich, poor; young, old; good, evil. The realistic way that abuse, bullying, adultery, love, and hate was honestly portrayed as a part of life----good or bad----made the book very readable and possibly relatable by a variety of audiences. I would recommend the book to young adults and adults. Great read.
SEG
Gsamour
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsamour.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gsamour »

Overall, I liked the book! I thought the author did a great job showing the dynamics of the relationship between Natalie and her mother. Although the story is heartbreaking with the amount of abuse that goes on, I do think it is a relatable story in multiple different ways.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”