Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Riverlutz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Post by Riverlutz »

Ironbark review...

The story was great, my only issue was at times they get into too many details for things that really didn't mean much for the actual storyline, but overall a good read.

Times were hard back then and the story shows of how the struggle is real.

I would not rate it book of the month , but would definitely recommend to friends to read...
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

cpru68 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 11:13 I have just begun to read this one, and I must say, I am finding myself so drawn in by the realistic way that the author has portrayed the characters. The theme of poverty and anger are well written and are detailed so clearly that I feel like this family exists. This is one of those books that when you are not reading it, you catch yourself thinking about the situation as if it is your neighbor or your co-worker. Like I said, I am just into the first seven chapters of it, but so far, she has done a wonderful job of setting a tense scene and is building to something that has got me turning the pages. I will post more once I have completed the entire book. Highly encourage people to get this one on the bookshelf.
It definitely says something about the book and how it was written when the story and characters truly resonate with you. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Kate42 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 12:12 I felt the book had a Jane Austin type feel. I liked Natalie's view and was able to tell her feelings. I didn't like the superfluous overuse of descriptive words. It made reading it more difficult. I also felt the ending was dull.
It's too bad about the ending! I'm glad you could find something you liked in Natalie's view.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

jwalker73 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 22:08 I enjoyed the book. I thought it gave a very real portrayal of the discrimination faced by Australian Aboriginals. This made the story transferable to today's society as, unfortunately, this discrimination still persists today. I was not too sure about the ending. I though it felt a bit rushed, particularly as it raised some quite controversial issues at the finish. I was left a bit uncomfortable about how Natty chose to live her life in regards to her relationship. Overall I gave it 3 stars.
It's too bad about the rushed ending. I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall, though.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Samy Lax wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 22:46 The book is a decent read. But, is it better than most books we have seen to be book of the month before? I don't think so.

Natalie's character is commendable. However, I didn't like the ending of the story much. This could have been handled better by the author.

Considering all this, I don't think I'll be recommending this book to anyone at the moment.
I've not yet reached the ending, but you aren't the first to mention it. It's too bad you wouldn't recommend it, but we all can't enjoy the same books. I'm glad there was something you could like in the main character.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Jmteachmom wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 09:58 I just finished reading this one! I absolutely loved this book. My favorite part was when Natty hides heifer prize heifer Libby. As a farm girl myself, I could relate to her so well at that moment. She would do anything to save her animal's life as would I. My least favorite part was when the stepfather was whipping her over the heifer incident. I felt so much anger at that moment because I could not understand why Irma did not so more to save her from that pain.

I would reccomend this to anyone wanting to read a story about life, struggles, emotions, and how you come through those times.
I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and that you could relate to part of it. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

heidifinger wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 14:38 Reading the reviews and comments of the book I am excited to get reading. I just downloaded it and will read it this week.
I hope you are enjoying the book! I still have to make my way through it as well. It seems well received, outside of the ending.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Kibetious wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 09:03 I would recommend it to others definitely. The whole theme is practical even in the current time. This is because unlike some other genres that may appeal to a specific group of people, this one can be read by all.
I haven't had the chance to read this book yet, but definitely plan to soon. It's good to hear the reader base is pretty universal.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

read2u wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 18:12 I am actually doing my second review on this book. I totally like it and all the characters are interesting to me. Highly recommended.
It's great when you enjoy a book enough to review it twice :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

cpru68 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 22:36 I could hardly put this book down. Once I got started reading it, I wanted to keep on going because the author kept laying down a slight cliffhanger at the end of each chapter. There was an overall dark shadow and the tension level was high in this one. I never felt like Natalie was going to move on. She changes what she can inside of her living conditions which are extremely limited, but she also has such a protective nature in regard to her mother and siblings that it makes it difficult for her to move on with her own life. I appreciated that the author wrote in a way that the reader could put two and two together..such as the sexual affair..she kept it simple. Also, the abuse scenes were brutal as described so much so that I found myself so ANGRY with Natalie's mom for not defending her from the stepfather. I would recommend this book to older teens on up.
It sounds like the book sparked a lot of emotion from you, which is a characteristic I can appreciate when reading.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

AlexisMersino wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 17:13 I just finished reading Ironbark Hill and I enjoyed the story! It was very different for me and the genres that I usually choose, but I'm now happy that I stepped out of my comfort zone. Honestly, in the beginning it was a bit sluggish for me and I was worried that I wasn't going to like the book. I stuck it out though and it ended up paying off. It was a rewarding read and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

I think my favorite aspect was our main character. Natalie is fierce and relateable. Having a strong, female, main character is one of my favorite attributes to a book and Natalie definitely was that. I liked the diverse characters with very different personalities and how Natalie reacted to each of them. She was so loving towards her mother and siblings but absolutely hated Alex (understandably). I thought it was admirable that she was kind to Shirely even though the younger girl irritated me at times and could be very cruel. I think this really showed Natalie's maturity and made me admire her even more.
It's good to step out of your comfort zone every once in a while. I'm glad you stuck through the beginning to really enjoy the story.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy

Post by melissy370 »

This is not my typical book to read but the author's writing style drew me in. I sympathized with Natalie since I grew up in a similar household, but I did not agree with her choices. The grandfather was my favorite character with his wit and quiet strength. His presence kept the family from exploding. My rating for the book is 3 out 4 stars because adultery seemed to be glorified, especially at the end.
6912dirtyfeet
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 6912dirtyfeet »

In our world today we hear of abuse around the world, this book has captured that subject everyone dances around. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars because I can relate to Natalie and know the feelings she is dealing with. I liked "Ironbark Hill" because of the issue it placed inside this family and just how one can move forward with living their life. It sends the message to anyone being abused to stay strong and fight back.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The book is great, so I found it. I would recommend it to others, since it is very inspirational and has events that can occur in real life. Anyone can benefit from reading this book.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Thank you so much for all these comments. I almost feel like I have read the book. It sounds like a very inspiration, moving book. And I always love books with strong female leads!

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”