What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Kibetious wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 15:52 Nice seeing and knowing how different people deal with these traumatic experiences. I am sure we all indeed have our getaways that help us forget and handle some unpleasant situations or circumstances.
For me, it was quite a wonderful surprise to see so many people react to the topic. It means that Jennie Linnane did a great job in raising people's awareness and writing a highly emotional novel.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Samuel John wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 18:03 The best way to deal with a trauma is. To visit a cycologist, that will assist by trying to vanish the scenario that you have ever experienced.
Honestly, I do not believe that such an experience can ever be completely wiped off, but no doubt a psychologist can help you deal with your mixed feelings about it.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Stormy76 wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 19:44 As a victim of verbal and physical abuse you always find ways of coping with the trauma. Most of the time I wrapped myself up in the kids and their activities and there was also work. I never sought counseling I sought a way out. I have always had a love for reading but did not have much time for it during my trying times, but I have picked it back up now that I am out of that situation! I never lost faith in humanity for the actions of one person. And I never lost my trust in people.
I am glad reading is your getaway. I know many people find a lot of comfort in books. I am also happy that you somehow managed not to lose your trust in people. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

tevinamunga wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 01:36 first of all give yourself time and partial activity's to engage your mind in a more optimistic way
I don't think the passage of time is helpful per se. It's all the other things you do that help you deal with the traumatic experience.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Anthony Jude wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 03:47 Well for me I would say the mother is too be blamed for everything, because it is clear today that mothers always protect their children.leaving her child to protect herself from her father is not good at all.there are a lot of novels you can read to help you with situations like this,try and read them it will help you.
Natty is comforting her mum although her body is all swollen and bruised. This is the point where logic ceases to work for me and I start getting angry. This is one of those situations which I find difficult to accept even if I know they are as real as it can get.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

anibros20 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 03:51 We all react in different ways to trauma,
experiencing a wide range of physical
and emotional reactions. .... Cognitive-
behavioral therapy helps you process
and evaluate your thoughts and feelings
about a trauma .
Thank you. I will check some books on cognitive-behavioral therapy.
0741-785-960
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 0741-785-960 »

The best way to overcome abuse is to avoid isolation. Don't suffer alone. Share your situation with people you trust and they can help you at some point. However don't share you situation with just anyone because some people might be waiting for a topic about you to discuss it publicly. But as they say a problem shared is half solved. So avoiding isolation is the best way to overcome abuse.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Irishmom wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:45 I suffered emotional abuse by my father, and he physically abused my mom and brother. I grew up scared of men, afraid of loss, and thinking I was fat and dumb. I got incredibly lucky and met a kind man in college who was willing to stick with me through my growing pains as I got over it. I also had two great therapists. I am so happy now. It is possible to overcome it.
I am very sorry for what you had to pass through. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I think it can serve as an example that trauma can be overcome and I also consider that you managed to help yourself mostly even if you had outer help as well.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Lgs1089 wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 10:27 The only way to overcome abuse is to acknowledge it happened, process it, and do the best you can to remove yourself from the situation. I wrote a confessional fiction novella. Up until I wrote that piece, I was desensitized to the brevity of the trauma I endured as a child. After completing the novella, it was critiqued by my academic board and peers. Seeing and hearing their responses to the subject matter, caused everything I'd repressed to surface and I had a mental breakdown. I think my favorite editorial mark I received from several students was "This scene where this happened when you were 12, it lacks believability." It was at that point that I revealed that the scene in question occurred word-for-word as I'd written it. I'd never witnessed so many expressions of horror. It was like I'd just told an inappropriate joke and no one laughed. They all stared at me in pity. It triggered PTSD I was not aware I had and resulted in a two-night stint in the coo-coo nest. I'd say it's extremely difficult to write about abuse.
I understand you perfectly. I am sorry for what you had to pass through. I think 2 things happen when you decide to write about your own traumatic experience. Firstly, it is difficult because you have to relive everything that happened and you might feel naked in putting your feelings on paper. Secondly, there is the impact of your writing on the people reading about your experience. You had to pass through another trauma of seeing people indifferent or dismissive of something that was crucially important to you. What I can tell you and it may be helpful is that life taught me to trust myself more and to stop depending on other people's reactions to my own behavior. I am not telling you not to care what other people think at all, I am simply saying not to make their opinion the standard for your own happiness.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Raya raymond wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 07:41 I think the mother was just as responsible as the alcoholic dad for not being strong enough to defend her daughter and to treat her better. I'd say, from experience that the best way to deal with abuse as a child is to see a therapist, and to focus on what you want and love to do for example reading or singing or whatever it is that makes you smile and find peace. I also recommend a cognitive behavioral diary it really helps me. I think the issue of whether or not it's easy to write about abuse as an author depends on how much experience you have with the topic. I think it would be easier for a writer who has witnessed abuse first hand or gone through it and overcome it, or interacted a lot and connected with people who've gone through abuse, to write about it than an author who just read about it.
Thank you for your idea about the cognitive behavioral diary. I think it could turn out to be a great way of dealing with your emotions and feelings.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Zainabmk13 wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 14:42 First of all try to figure out what happened? Why it happened? Was it really a thing to be so worried about? Or that incident is worth wasting your time on? Is it worth your present and future? Is it worth to destroy your health upon it? Was it really an abuse? Should you waste your life into the feeling of the past traumatic or abusive incidents?
After all these questions try to move on and forget about the past move into the future, by making your present better!
1. Talk to the people who love you, share your feelings with your loved ones they'll definitely help you out.
2. Take care of your physical and mental health. EXERCISE & YOGA.
3. Last option would be consulting a therapist to guide you!
I love your positivism. You remind me of my father. Thank you for sharing your ideas!
steh254
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by steh254 »

one can overcome trauma and abuse by speaking about it u can do this by talking to a close person to you for instance a friend or a doctor one trusts.Speaking about the occasion relieves one the pain.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

cristinaro wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:44
Raya raymond wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 07:41 I think the mother was just as responsible as the alcoholic dad for not being strong enough to defend her daughter and to treat her better. I'd say, from experience that the best way to deal with abuse as a child is to see a therapist, and to focus on what you want and love to do for example reading or singing or whatever it is that makes you smile and find peace. I also recommend a cognitive behavioral diary it really helps me. I think the issue of whether or not it's easy to write about abuse as an author depends on how much experience you have with the topic. I think it would be easier for a writer who has witnessed abuse first hand or gone through it and overcome it, or interacted a lot and connected with people who've gone through abuse, to write about it than an author who just read about it.
Thank you for your idea about the cognitive behavioral diary. I think it could turn out to be a great way of dealing with your emotions and feelings.
:) :) :) Yeah I hope it helps someone on this platform
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

steh254 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 07:29 one can overcome trauma and abuse by speaking about it u can do this by talking to a close person to you for instance a friend or a doctor one trusts.Speaking about the occasion relieves one the pain.
I can relate, very true. Talking helps a lot. However make sure you talk to someone who can really help you.
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

cristinaro wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:46
Zainabmk13 wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 14:42 First of all try to figure out what happened? Why it happened? Was it really a thing to be so worried about? Or that incident is worth wasting your time on? Is it worth your present and future? Is it worth to destroy your health upon it? Was it really an abuse? Should you waste your life into the feeling of the past traumatic or abusive incidents?
After all these questions try to move on and forget about the past move into the future, by making your present better!
1. Talk to the people who love you, share your feelings with your loved ones they'll definitely help you out.
2. Take care of your physical and mental health. EXERCISE & YOGA.
3. Last option would be consulting a therapist to guide you!
I love your positivism. You remind me of my father. Thank you for sharing your ideas!
That's some nice advice

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”