What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Sitowise
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sitowise.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by Sitowise »

In my own opinion, the best way to overcome abuse is to seek the help of higher authority. Most times the victims of abuse don't have any choice, they rather remain in the house they are abused because they don't have anywhere to seek refuge..Trauma is the effect of Abuse. I will advice a traumatised person to see a psychologist. He/she should stay away from the abuser.
isreala
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by isreala »

To get away from trauma ,you ought to consider your happiness and make it a priority. people's opinion should not mater much to you.Again ,stop trying to satisfy people, because humanity always want more they by placing more to you than themselves. Also set your perception aright.
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

NL Hartje wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 23:42 As an introvert and someone who was emotionally abused for years, I found solace in quiet time: running, yoga, reading. :reading-3:
This is so true for me as well. I started doing yoga and reading too and it made a huge difference for me. I don't do yoga as much anymore, but it definitely helped me get through some hard stuff in my life. Thanks for sharing.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I think the mother was just as responsible as the alcoholic dad for not being strong enough to defend her daughter and to treat her better. I'd say, from experience that the best way to deal with abuse as a child is to see a therapist, and to focus on what you want and love to do for example reading or singing or whatever it is that makes you smile and find peace. I also recommend a cognitive behavioral diary it really helps me. I think the issue of whether or not it's easy to write about abuse as an author depends on how much experience you have with the topic. I think it would be easier for a writer who has witnessed abuse first hand or gone through it and overcome it, or interacted a lot and connected with people who've gone through abuse, to write about it than an author who just read about it.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

Natalie found her recluse in her art. Working on your passion is one way to forget about traumatic incidenrs that has and is happening in your life. I recently read a true account of a man who was badly abused by his dad in childhood. In reality, it is a lot difficult to forget and forgive the abuse. It takes a toll on the mental stability of the person.
As for the author, I do think it might not be easy for an author to write about physical or mental harassment. To make the reader feel the emotions, a writer has to feel them while writing it. :)
Zainabmk13

Post by Zainabmk13 »

First of all try to figure out what happened? Why it happened? Was it really a thing to be so worried about? Or that incident is worth wasting your time on? Is it worth your present and future? Is it worth to destroy your health upon it? Was it really an abuse? Should you waste your life into the feeling of the past traumatic or abusive incidents?
After all these questions try to move on and forget about the past move into the future, by making your present better!
1. Talk to the people who love you, share your feelings with your loved ones they'll definitely help you out.
2. Take care of your physical and mental health. EXERCISE & YOGA.
3. Last option would be consulting a therapist to guide you!
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I think everybody has its own way to overcome abuse, some people repeat the cycle and other become exactly the opposite. Natalie did a great job confronting her issues and fighting against it.
It is not easy to describe abuse, each case is different.
Blacky1998

Post by Blacky1998 »

Actually natalie you did a good job its not easy to get past or forget ones previous trauma but still you confronted the issue and fought against it
No_one91
Favorite Book: It's Ok to Tell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-no-one91.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by No_one91 »

Abused issues is not a strange thing happen in our life. Not only we read it from book but also through news on tv. However, we can't let this happen but we do not know, which method could be approach for this matter. For this book, alcoholic step father is not the only one who should take a blame. Mother of this character should do something about this matter. How could she did not see what happen in their house and do anything to prevent it? Yeah, I called it house instead of home because home is place where we belong and feel comfortable, not the place we felt scare and got abuse.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

It depends on the person. Music, art, reading, writing, yoga, sports, meditation, therapy, anything can be a way for someone to heal from trauma and abuse. I read, write fiction, play video games, and write in a journal to heal myself.

In the case of children, it's imperative adults step in. Children don't necessarily have the means to change their situation, and they certainly can't begin healing until they've been removed from the abuse.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong way to overcome abuse or trauma. The best way to do that will depend on the person and the situation. Personally, I have found that overcoming trauma has been easier when I surround myself with people who love/support me. I have made me friends and my sisters an outlet for expressing pain and finding comfort. For my best friend, music is the only thing that helps him when his depression is bad. Everybody has their things that work for them. I think the most important thing for everybody is to never blame themselves. Victims of abuse or trauma tend to think they did something to deserve it, and I don't think that is ever true. I think knowing that they deserve to overcome it is the first and most important step to actually do so.
AlyLiv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyliv.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by AlyLiv »

I think in terms of your question about responding to abuse, it's different for every person. But the first and most important thing to do is try and get out of the situation. While I understand it probably couldn't be done in the book, in real life, calling the cops, CYS, or even going to someone you trust is always a good first step. Taking refuge in things and taking yourself out of your mind like Natalie did with her art is probably a good step to take, so long as you don't take it too far to where you completely lose sight of reality.
Kenetiah Stephen

Post by Kenetiah Stephen »

I think fighting back and reporting the situations in which she is passing through to human right abuse people will be the best way
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

This is a very difficult situation children are forced to go through by their perceived care-givers. A mother or other relative who stands by oblivious of their relative's ordeal in a rape or other abusive relationship is equally a culprit. Any act which exposes the abusive situation is a good thing, including using the government or other authority's whistleblowing procedure. A writer may not be in a good position to highlight the problem because of their vested interests. They may expose or hide the situation depending on the potential effect it may have on the future sales of their book.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I think the best way to overcome abuse and trauma is to get away from anything contributing to it then once out, get into a support group. But if one cannot get out easily, fighting back is the only option. Waiting and hoping for things to change can be unrealistic and dangerous unless God intervenes.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”