What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Litzy reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litzy-reader.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by Litzy reader »

Mjgarrison wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 23:20 I feel like the best way to overcome abuse is to get away from and learn the signs so you can stay away from it. I was badly abused by my ex-husband and I didn't start to heal until I took myself and my kids far away from the situation. It still took about 10 years to forgive my abuser and start to really trust people in my life again.
I am glad you managed to get away from such an abusive relationship. It's true that people deal with different situations differently but I believe that the most important step is to go away as far away from the source of Abuse as possible.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

I think the best way to overcome abuse and trauma is through psychological counselling.A safe place to work through all the emotions and get guidance on how to handle every day situations .
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Mishi21

Post by Mishi21 »

I would say that to overcome abuse and trauma. First of all Abuse so we have to join good companies of friends and keep ourself away from valgur movies or vedios. Also its how a mother or a father train their children's because children learn from their parents.
Second trauma so one meaning is physical stress and the other meaning is injury. To prevent trauma simply we dont need to poke our nose in other matters or otherwise we have to face the problems. Also we should share every problem with elders this makes us feel relax. If we want to stay away from trauma we should all the time keep ourselves busy in doing something like reading, writing, exercise etc.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

The only way to overcome abuse is to acknowledge it happened, process it, and do the best you can to remove yourself from the situation. I wrote a confessional fiction novella. Up until I wrote that piece, I was desensitized to the brevity of the trauma I endured as a child. After completing the novella, it was critiqued by my academic board and peers. Seeing and hearing their responses to the subject matter, caused everything I'd repressed to surface and I had a mental breakdown. I think my favorite editorial mark I received from several students was "This scene where this happened when you were 12, it lacks believability." It was at that point that I revealed that the scene in question occurred word-for-word as I'd written it. I'd never witnessed so many expressions of horror. It was like I'd just told an inappropriate joke and no one laughed. They all stared at me in pity. It triggered PTSD I was not aware I had and resulted in a two-night stint in the coo-coo nest. I'd say it's extremely difficult to write about abuse.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I guess it's hard for a writer to describe his or her abusive situations because it's like reliving the experience. One can overcome abuse and a traumatic experience by counseling and establishing a relationship with a Higher Power, God.
eunice m

Post by eunice m »

seeking advice from counsellors
Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas
Currently Reading: Not Dead Yet
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinwale-taiwo-ilyas.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas »

I also agree that the best way to deal with abuse is to get away from the source. It is the best way to prevent emotional wariness
"The reading of all good books📚 is like a conversation with the finest men of past centuries" - Rene Decartes (1596 - 1681)
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
lmvartanian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmvartanian.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by lmvartanian »

I think this depends purely on the person and the other members in their support network (or lack thereof). In some cases, abuse can make people resilient and create masterpieces. However, in other situations, it can cause them to turn to self harm and substance abuse. I work with a population that has dealt with significant abuse in their history and I have seen both of these responses (great artwork and substance abuse) coincide. Regardless of coping mechanism, I don't believe anyone can overcome abuse on their own, whether that help comes professionally or through other friends and family depends on the person on the receiving end of the abuse.
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

Depends on the person, some people need full redemption/confrontation to feel stronger, and therefore free from its former weaker past and self.
Some other people just need to run away.

In both cases is necessary to move on and try to occupy your mind with different things.
The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before, that's the deal. - C.S Lewis
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

First of all seeking professional help. Keeping the mind busy with things of interest.
Anamchara1317
Currently Reading: Killers of the Flower Moon
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anamchara1317 »

This is such a terrific topic and I'm reading a lot of thoughtful answers. I agree that there are going to be a myriad of ways to heal from abuse/trauma, but the biggest first step is to find a way out of that toxic environment. This is important for the long-term, but can't always happen right away - especially for kids.

Also, I think it's super important to seek counseling, help and support because it can make the difference between healing, or repression (which has a way of coming back in other negative ways later on). But at the same time, like with any serious injury, healing is a process and there can be setbacks and you will always carry the remnants of that experience - like a scar.

As for writing about it: my opinion is that you don't need to have personal experience, but empathy and the ability to listen and learn about it in order to write effectively. :)
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Different people have different ways to cope. But I believe one of the first steps for everyone would be finding an outlet of the pain, whether someone to talk to or finding activities to focus on like music or writing. Though I think it is quite difficult to consult others immediately, as I have noticed with some people I knew who were in similar sad situations. Some victims refuse to talk, but in these situations, others should be the ones to reach out to them first. The problem with some is that even if they knew someone being abused or experienced abuse, they just pretend they don't know.
SkyeDragon
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyedragon.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by SkyeDragon »

The best way to overcome abuse is to first get away from the abuse so you can be safe. Then you really need to be able to talk to someone about it who is supportive and can help you recover. It will take time and a lot of effort so you need to be patient while you recover from everything that happened. Everyone is different so it will depend on the situation.
Inspiration23
Currently Reading:

Post by Inspiration23 »

My opinion to this is that making oneself happy is the best solution. Not letting situation get over you.
Noble James

Post by Noble James »

I think the best way to overcome trauma is seeing a psychologist for counselling.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”