What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I think you should seek counceling and also rely on the support of friends and family.
mheldionisio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mheldionisio »

No not only the alcoholic father is responsible if the girl has a mother she can bring her to art school to grow her talent in art and meet new friends. So that through that she forgot all the bad things happen to her.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-waragu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

I think that it is simple for writers to describe abusive scenes if they are able to connect with their own writing. In cases where the author has to imagine a scene, it may be somehow challenging especially if the author and the character in writing are of different gender.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I believe the best way is to talk about it, to a psychologist, a friend, a kind listening ear. Just speak up and don't keep it bottled up because that would cause more damage!
Kusse jattani kusse

Post by Kusse jattani kusse »

Have been abused for so many things but what a mature person should have to do is to just take his nor her time and just concentrate on how to overcome those allegations to prove them wrong
Marlaya

Post by Marlaya »

I feel like the child is very mature for standing up for herself for her father mistreating her. Most people don't stand up for themselves because they don't want their treatment worse but the people that standing up to their father is very brave indeed to stand up to an acholic of a father. How I would personally due with the abuse is seek counseling because a therapist could help you find a way to a recovery. But I agree the nother is definitely at fault too because she had allowed it to get this far to where the husband turns abusive but on the other hand it never no one fault to where someone that you're related to could do such a thing to just a child and the mother.
LisaGreen

Post by LisaGreen »

Patience and meditation is the best way to overcome abuse or trauma. Depression and eyes sights loss are some effects with mediation you can overcome through the facts.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

elivia05 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 19:42
Mr Benji wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 17:26 One way to one overcome trauma is to speak with your pastor. And you must forgive the abuser so you can move on. Though the pain hurts, one must move on.
I totally agree. There is no correct way to overcome abuse. Everyone is different and people handle trauma differently.

Sadly, not everyone is able to overcome

their traumatic experiences because of the

memories such events that still lingers on.
Books are lovely.
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

Physical and emotional abuse is so multi-faceted. There is never just one side to hold accountable. Natalies story is no different. The grandfather, mother, Alex and even other folks in the town who knew the situation, are all partially to blame. It was great the Natalie had art as a way to cope.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I don't believe there is a way to get over trauma. Trauma and abuse will change a person forever- you can only learn to get away from what is hurting to and to find peace so that you can live the rest of your life as happily as you can.

I hope that people can stop feeling so ashamed of their past as well. My trauma made me who I am and I am content with that person! (Therapy helps too)
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

Therapy helps a lot to overcome denial and to stop blaming yourself for what happened, it's also very important to build your own confidence and take self-defence classes so you are not constantly afraid and you know that you can protect yourself.
"Growth is the essence of life."
Jessy Ben
Currently Reading:

Post by Jessy Ben »

Therapy helps a lot
And opening up to someone will also help
Self defence is good too
Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Unfortunately it's rarely ever just one parent who is responsible. Based off of my personal experience, my dad was the abuser, but my mom was the enabler (e.g. did nothing to stop the abuse). Natalie's situation felt similar.
And similar to what @cristinaro said, the only time I found some peace was in private, quiet activities (running, reading, and hiking). I'd say the best way to deal with abuse would be to get professional help, no matter the situation. I waited much longer than I should to get help, and the aftereffects of the abuse were affecting my entire life in ways I didn't even realize.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Personally I think avoidance is the best way to handle abuse. In some cases though, avoidance may just not work, so Natalie's approach of fighting back is also fair.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”