Young Adult Book Suggestions

For April 2018 we will be reading Young Adult books.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Re: Young Adult Book Suggestions

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

DesireeRose wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 15:44 The Lunar Chronicles is a young adult book series by Marissa Meyer. There are six books in the series, and they are fractured fairy tales. They are all very well-written, and I highly recommend them.
I loved these and recently suggested them to my best friend. She doesn't have time to read much and was recently looking for something to hold her interest. I immediately thought of these!
britburkett87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by britburkett87 »

Oh any book by Sarah Dessen would just engulf me but my favorite was "Just Listen"

Also "Tuck everlasting" . my mom would hide it just so I would do my chores.
Chanti Stargirl
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanti-stargirl.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Chanti Stargirl »

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is one of the best books I've ever read. I would highly recommend it for everyone.

Power of Three by Dianne Wynne Jones also had a big impact on me when I was younger. It had the right mix of fantasy, adventure and the mixed emotions that we so often feel during that stage of our lives.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

You can also try 'Unwind' by Neal Shusterman. It's a dystopian YA with a lot of interesting characters. Unwind is the first in a series of four books.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I recommend anything by Ellen Hopkins. They're wonderfully written, powerful stories about things teens go through. Be aware that Hopkins uses some pretty uncomfortable topics. I have not read all of these, but I have read a majority.

I believe any of them can stand alone even though they belong to a set or series.

Crank Novels
Crank
Glass
Fallout

Burned Novels
Burned
Smoke

Impulse Novels
Impulse
Perfect

Triangles Novels
Triangles: this one is actually an adult novel. It's from the perspective of the parents of the children featured in Tilt and covers the same events.
Tilt

Tricks Novels
Tricks
Traffick

Identical
Collateral
Rumble
The You I've Never Known
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Lgs1089 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 15:09 I enjoyed Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld if anyone is looking for a good YA novel that recaptures the essence of being a teenager. The older we get, the more we forget what it's like to be a teenager, and this novel really nails the entire thought processes of a teenage girl, without coming off as silly.
I just looked up the blurb for this on Amazon. It sounds goods and reminds me a little of Gossip Girl with the outsider entering a "snooty" upper class school.

P.S. I'm also from Mobile! Small world.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I very much enjoyed Christopher Pike's older books, such as the Thirst series and his short novellas such as The Immortal and Last Act. I found them engaging, full of suspense and thrills. Especially the Thirst series, the first few books had great plot lines, a fast pace and interesting villains due to the unique outlook on life by the protagonist, a 5000 year old female vampire who finds herself being hunted after being an apex predator for most of her life.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Darren Shan's Cirque du Freak series are also worth a read, as the story tells of a young male teenager's foray into adulthood, and it also details his emotional and psychological growth, with a good dose of scary and eccentric vampires, blood and action.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

Jennifer L. Armentrout is the only YA author I've known and loved. Though I remember a series titled 'The Mysterious Benedict Society' which I also like but I'm not sure if it's considered as YA or Children's book/series.
WarBabyMoon
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by WarBabyMoon »

There's always the obvious Harry Potter books, and definitely agree, however I recommend "DragonSpell" by Donita K. Paul. Basically about a 'slave' girl who has this really cool ability of finding dragon eggs and hatching them. Originally, she was supposed to go to the Hall to go into servitude with Paladin, however, that was changed when a couple of his servants rescued her and took her in another direction to help find the Meech egg from the evil wizard Risto. I've been enjoying the series, unfortunately I haven't been able to get farther because of school. Sigh.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I absolutely love the Skulduggery Pleasant series. So funny, with a bad-ass female protagonist, loads of fun modern fantasy stuff going on and a fantastic plot. Plus the author is Irish which always attracts me to a book! Honestly I love everything about this series. In fact, I think I might reread it this summer now that I'm remembering how much I enjoy it.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

jvez wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 11:47 You can also try 'Unwind' by Neal Shusterman. It's a dystopian YA with a lot of interesting characters. Unwind is the first in a series of four books.
I LOVED this series. I read it quite a few years back and it's really one that stuck with me.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 May 2018, 04:19
jvez wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 11:47 You can also try 'Unwind' by Neal Shusterman. It's a dystopian YA with a lot of interesting characters. Unwind is the first in a series of four books.
I LOVED this series. I read it quite a few years back and it's really one that stuck with me.
Yes this series was good. There was a talk about a movie before, but I guess the film was probably cancelled?
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

jvez wrote: 01 May 2018, 09:29
Yes this series was good. There was a talk about a movie before, but I guess the film was probably cancelled?
I see the movie is listed as ‘in development’. That would be awesome 😊
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 May 2018, 10:48
jvez wrote: 01 May 2018, 09:29

I see the movie is listed as ‘in development’. That would be awesome 😊
I wish it does push through. I think it's been two years since I've last heard they were already casting roles. And yes, it would be fun watching this in theaters :)

Return to “April 2018 Genre Discussion”