Young Adult Genre Discussion

For April 2018 we will be reading Young Adult books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Young Adult Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think we all have an idea of what the young adult genre entails. Just in case, though, young adult is the genre that is geared toward young readers. Some say this is for the age group, 12-18 years-old, while others say the age range is from 15 years old to early twenties.

Out of curiosity, how do you define young adult?

Let's touch on the following as we discuss this broad genre:
- What did you read?
- What makes this book unique to the young adult genre?
- Was this just young adult or were there other genres woven in? If so, what other genres did you notice?
- Would you recommend this book? Why or why not?

Feel free to share more information of the book(s) you read this month! As always, let's have fun! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Yay! One of my favorite genres. I think I'd go with the 12 to 18 year old range personally.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 08:18 Yay! One of my favorite genres. I think I'd go with the 12 to 18 year old range personally.
I also love this genre! I think the issue I have with that age range is that content for a 12- or 13-year-old, I feel, could be significantly different than for a 17- or 18-year-old. I don't know if I'm just overthinking it, though. :eusa-think:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

hsimone wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 05:11
kandscreeley wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 08:18 Yay! One of my favorite genres. I think I'd go with the 12 to 18 year old range personally.
I also love this genre! I think the issue I have with that age range is that content for a 12- or 13-year-old, I feel, could be significantly different than for a 17- or 18-year-old. I don't know if I'm just overthinking it, though. :eusa-think:
I get that, so maybe I could go for more of a 14 to 18 range. I just have an issue with including the over 18 crowd. What's appropriate for those that are over 18 is definitely not appropriate for 14 year olds. They do have something called New Adult that I've seen lately. I think that's more geared towards the 18 to 23 or so crowd.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gdevaney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gdevaney »

I think, like with any genre, there are definitely subparts. I think 12-20 is a good age range, but I would break it down into more/less mature parts. For example, with Tamora Pierce's books, the Circle of Magic books are for 12-14 or so, but some of the themes of Battle Magic and Circle Opens are best suited for more mature (which often correlates with older) teens.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 07:57
hsimone wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 05:11
I get that, so maybe I could go for more of a 14 to 18 range. I just have an issue with including the over 18 crowd. What's appropriate for those that are over 18 is definitely not appropriate for 14 year olds. They do have something called New Adult that I've seen lately. I think that's more geared towards the 18 to 23 or so crowd.
That's a good point. I've seen the New Adult genre, as well, and I agree what's appropriate for 18 to 23 or so would most likely not be appropriate for a young and impressionable teenager. Hm...so maybe 14 to 18 range might be a good basis for this genre. Of course, there are probably exceptions, just like in any genre, lol.
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gdevaney wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 10:12 I think, like with any genre, there are definitely subparts. I think 12-20 is a good age range, but I would break it down into more/less mature parts. For example, with Tamora Pierce's books, the Circle of Magic books are for 12-14 or so, but some of the themes of Battle Magic and Circle Opens are best suited for more mature (which often correlates with older) teens.
Yes, I can definitely see that. So, young adult could be this somewhat wide range, but depending on the content, it could be for the more or the less mature of the group.
Heidi

daiguerra
Currently Reading: The China Dogs
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daiguerra.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

Post by daiguerra »

This is one of my favorite genres because it can put so many other genres into it. I think that young adult is a lot more relatable for me than other books. I would say that young adult books are for ages 15-18, yet I think that it is the topics that the books are about that make it more geared for that audience. I'm currently reading Being jazz: My life as a transgender teen, which is the young adult version of that book, and it is written in a language that is easier for younger readers to understand, so sometimes I think young adult can encompass ages 12-14 as well.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

daiguerra wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 22:30 This is one of my favorite genres because it can put so many other genres into it. I think that young adult is a lot more relatable for me than other books. I would say that young adult books are for ages 15-18, yet I think that it is the topics that the books are about that make it more geared for that audience. I'm currently reading Being jazz: My life as a transgender teen, which is the young adult version of that book, and it is written in a language that is easier for younger readers to understand, so sometimes I think young adult can encompass ages 12-14 as well.
Yes, perhaps the distinction is how mature the content is in order to recommend the book(s) to a particular child within that age range. Thank you for your thoughts. :)

I haven't heard of Being jazz: My life as a transgender teen. How is it so far?
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

As a rule of thumb, I would probably agree with 14 to 18, changing to na after that.

Out of curiosity, how do you define young adult?
That is an interesting question, and one I don't really have a good answer for.
I suppose the main thing I expect from a ya book is that the main characters will be somewhere in their teens, and that it will be teen friendly in its subject matter.
Anything else is pretty much up for grabs.

-What did you read?
At the Edge of the Universe by Shaun David Hutchinson

- What makes this book unique to the young adult genre?
The main character, as well as most of the supporting characters, are teens.

- Was this just young adult or were there other genres woven in? If so, what other genres did you notice?
Sci-fi/fantasy, and it also deals with mental illness. Pseudo-Apocalyptic..... And LGBTQ (which I want to suggest for one of the genre options!), including an ace character, which is hard to find.

- Would you recommend this book? Why or why not?
Highly!
The way that the author handles family drama is awesome. His sense of humor is amazing and sooo snarky. And the end, well...I can't really say anything about the end, but...yeah.

I'm hoping to read his latest book, The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

daiguerra wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 22:30 This is one of my favorite genres because it can put so many other genres into it. I think that young adult is a lot more relatable for me than other books. I would say that young adult books are for ages 15-18, yet I think that it is the topics that the books are about that make it more geared for that audience. I'm currently reading Being jazz: My life as a transgender teen, which is the young adult version of that book, and it is written in a language that is easier for younger readers to understand, so sometimes I think young adult can encompass ages 12-14 as well.
I have this book waiting for me.

I believe this is the full book, as the author herself is a teen, but if it isn't, do you know what the title to the full book is?

She also wrote a children's book called I am Jazz a few years ago, to help children understand and accept their trans peers. In other words, she's awesome. :D

daiguerra

Post by daiguerra »

hsimone wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 13:35
Yes, perhaps the distinction is how mature the content is in order to recommend the book(s) to a particular child within that age range. Thank you for your thoughts. :)

I haven't heard of Being jazz: My life as a transgender teen. How is it so far?
I think it is great so far, she really makes a point not just to tell her story but make the reader understand what being transgender means for her. She tries to educate others while giving her story which I think is a great way to educate people.
daiguerra

Post by daiguerra »

Gravy wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:03

I believe this is the full book, as the author herself is a teen, but if it isn't, do you know what the title to the full book is?

She also wrote a children's book called I am Jazz a few years ago, to help children understand and accept their trans peers. In other words, she's awesome. :D
It might be the full book, I might have confused it with the fact that they do have a children's version. She really is awesome, I've seen some episodes of her show and that show is really good as well and continues the story you get from the book.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I thin the definition of a young adult will vary greatly depending on the nation one lives in. Even within the nation, it will vary within some communities and also within families. For me, I think a young adult will fit the age bracket of 18 to early twenties.
One of the genre that may fit here is poetry and drama.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

daiguerra wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 10:43
Gravy wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:03

It might be the full book, I might have confused it with the fact that they do have a children's version. She really is awesome, I've seen some episodes of her show and that show is really good as well and continues the story you get from the book.
I watch, too!

I may just have to bump this up on my list. :D

Return to “April 2018 Genre Discussion”