Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: Historical Fiction Suggestions

Post by DennisK »

During the biblical period, Lynn Austin is one of my favorite authors. She is a prolific writer, historian and a great story teller. For this period, I have also enjoyed Jerry Jenkins' I SAUL, and JOHN'S STORY. I can also recommend James Michener's THE SOURCE. His books are rather large, so for those of us who value the journey more than its destination, Michener's historical novels are great reads.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 09:55 I am now reading "The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead, which belongs to the genre.
That sounds interesting! I'm currently reading (and hoping to finish between today and tomorrow) The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I'm liking it so far, but I am curious how the author will end the book. I feel like the book could end at the point I'm reading now and it would be a fine ending, but I guess we'll see!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

DennisK wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:50 During the biblical period, Lynn Austin is one of my favorite authors. She is a prolific writer, historian and a great story teller. For this period, I have also enjoyed Jerry Jenkins' I SAUL, and JOHN'S STORY. I can also recommend James Michener's THE SOURCE. His books are rather large, so for those of us who value the journey more than its destination, Michener's historical novels are great reads.
That's good to know about Lynn Austin, but I'm not sure about James Michener's The Source. That one does seem rather long and I'm not sure of the content for me, but it's great to know that you've enjoyed the book! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 10:09
gali wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 09:55 I am now reading "The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead, which belongs to the genre.
That sounds interesting! I'm currently reading (and hoping to finish between today and tomorrow) The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I'm liking it so far, but I am curious how the author will end the book. I feel like the book could end at the point I'm reading now and it would be a fine ending, but I guess we'll see!
it was. I finished it and will write about it tomorrow.

The Poisonwood Bible is on my reading list.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 13:59
hsimone wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 10:09
it was. I finished it and will write about it tomorrow.

The Poisonwood Bible is on my reading list.
Nice! I'll be curious to hear what you thought.

I'll hopefully write about The Poisonwood Bible tomorrow, too. :)
Heidi

bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

hsimone wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 04:45
Samy Lax wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 12:05
hsimone wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 11:44

I definitely like magic and witches! I'll have to check this trilogy out. I would assume this wouldn't be historical fiction and just a general recommendation? :)
Yes, it's just a general recommendation. But, it gave me those warm fuzzies :romance-heartsthree:
Aw...that sounds like a good book. Thank you! :D
I own all three books in this series, but I haven't gotten around to reading them :oops2:
I'll have to get them read--you've peaked my interest again!

Return to “March 2018 Genre Discussion”