This book and kids

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Re: This book and kids

Post by Riszell »

Adults are very careful at keeping pointed objects and dangerous weapons away from kids. I think the same goes for the topic this book covers. I believe they should be taught at proper age, when they are old enough and ready. Let kids be kids and have fun.
shidawn
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shidawn.html
Latest Review: Jonny the boy from the road by J.n.stephenson

Post by shidawn »

I don't think this would be an appropriate book for a young child, but I think a teen could handle it well. While there is a lot of violence, it doesn't go into graphic detail. Plus, I know a lot of teens are reading books with more graphic violence than this and watching television/movies with more graphic detail. I think that a teen could benefit from reading this book. It could lead to a great discussion on the teen's feelings about guns.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I am afraid when we allow our kids to read this story. Because children always want to try whatever they witness adults do. So, they can grab a gun to run a test trial on their colleagues.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I think ultimately it depends on the child's level of maturity, but I think teenagers could handle this book. They are at an age where relevant topics like this need to be introduced and discussed rather than shielded from them.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I also do not recommend the children to read this book. It may make them think of the elderly in an unbalanced manner which is not what we would wish for our senior citizens.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 »

When it comes to guns, this book depicts the unfortunate reality. I don't think children should be shielded from such reality, especially if they are old enough to understand. I think this will reduce their probability of yielding to negative peer influence.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I think a more mature child would enjoy this book because they would have the ability to read between the lines and have a mature discussion about it. Especially as it deals with school shootings and that is, sadly, very relevant in today's society.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I feel like the would be a great book for teenagers but not for younger children. There is violence but it's not anything more graphic than what they are seeing on the news these days. It would also spark a great discussion about guns and gun control.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Kids shouldn't read this but teenagers can.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

My son is younger so he won't be reading the book, but I did take him with me when I learned how to shoot. He was excited for me to learn, but at the same time he understands guns are not toys. He understands the concept of using a gun to protect oneself, but not to go out and hurt others willingly or out of retribution.
Mac :techie-reference:
Rain18
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

nobunkum wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 17:02 I would find a better book for a child to read that was more balanced. This book is meant to be a social commentary but it is very limited in the scope of discussion regarding the topic. I would want my child to read something (on any issue) that did a better job of explaining why the issue is as complex and it is.
I agree that a more balanced book would be more appropriate for young adults. I specifically say young adults because I don't look at it from the perspective that a 16 year old is not old enough to handle a conversation about guns. I've got a 16-year old son at home and I can tell you that any topic that I, or my husband, do not speak with him about, his peers are prompt to educate him on. You can't shield your children, but you can ensure that they get accurate information and that they use the information responsibly. Between peers and video games, kids nowadays are more knowledgeable about guns than a lot of adults. This book deals with many other issues that I don't believe would be "educational" for young adults, and I don't believe that was the author's intention. So, no I would not recommend this book for young adults.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

If we're talking about teenagers, I don't see an issue. When you say "kids," I tend to think of 10 and under, and I would say this book is not for them.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I don't think gender is an issue with reading this book. It's making sure that one gets to the end and then reasons on the way things turned out. And to remember that this is, after all, fiction and not real life. Reading the same books in the family is great for discussions. My husband and I enjoy different points of view much of the time.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think this book would be ok for high school aged kids. I Don’t think I would recommend it for younger than that just because of the adult themes with guns and violence
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I believe a young adult should be taught how to safely use a firearm for proper use such as hunting. I don't think it is appropriate to fill a child's mind with thoughts and ideas pertaining to the material found in this book. There are so many positive things to fill a young mind with. Killing others with guns is not one of them.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”