Is gun really the answer?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Re: Is gun really the answer?

Post by KLafser »

starshipsaga wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 14:10 I personally have no love for guns. But as much as I want to believe guns are never the answer, just to play devil's advocate, if you are in a situation (like a break-in, or an attack) where you are faced with a gun-toting maniac threatening to kill you and your loved ones, you would have little chance of survival even if you were trained in self-defense or have less lethal forms of weaponry at your disposal. In a society where guns are everywhere, this is the disheartening reality and it's why I believe many feel they need to arm themselves even if they have never considered it before, because it's the only chance at self defense when the bad guys will always have the guns.
I'm with you but... I think if you decide that gun ownership is for you for self defense purposes (I am not including hunting or other such pursuits on purpose), I think you also have to commit to a regular training/practice regime. The idea that one would have a gun in the house to defend themselves, take one class, and put the gun in a safe seems ineffective to me. IF you're going to have one, and IF you're going to used in a crisis situation, the reaction needs to be practiced and automatic to respond in a way that actually protects you.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

KLafser wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 13:07
starshipsaga wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 14:10 I personally have no love for guns. But as much as I want to believe guns are never the answer, just to play devil's advocate, if you are in a situation (like a break-in, or an attack) where you are faced with a gun-toting maniac threatening to kill you and your loved ones, you would have little chance of survival even if you were trained in self-defense or have less lethal forms of weaponry at your disposal. In a society where guns are everywhere, this is the disheartening reality and it's why I believe many feel they need to arm themselves even if they have never considered it before, because it's the only chance at self defense when the bad guys will always have the guns.
I'm with you but... I think if you decide that gun ownership is for you for self defense purposes (I am not including hunting or other such pursuits on purpose), I think you also have to commit to a regular training/practice regime. The idea that one would have a gun in the house to defend themselves, take one class, and put the gun in a safe seems ineffective to me. IF you're going to have one, and IF you're going to used in a crisis situation, the reaction needs to be practiced and automatic to respond in a way that actually protects you.
Oh yes, I'm with you there. A gun, like any intricate piece of machinery, requires the proper knowlege to use safely and responsibly. It doesn't make sense to me either why anyone would bring one into their home and not know how to use it (and I take that view with more than just guns). Personally, I know a lot of law-abiding gun owners who would agree 100% and that's why the gun ranges around my area are always packed with people taking classes and keeping up with their knowledge, reaction times, and skills. It's unfortunate that more people don't do this, it would probably cut down the number of tragedies like accidental shootings.

Ironically, the NRA gets a lot of flak from the gun control groups, but they are actually one of the biggest advocates of gun safety and instruction. I once had to sit through one of their handgun courses for research, and I was impressed by how comprehensive it was and how informed their instructors are. They REALLY don't mess around when it comes to safe storage and handling of firearms.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

onixpam wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 09:33 I think that a gun will be my last option. I do not be able to hurt anyone!. But under some conditions, I will defend my family with all that I have.
This is how I feel, I think. I don't believe I'd be able to hurt anyone either. But then, I've never been put in a life or death situation (and I hope I never will be) so it's easy to say I'll never be able to shoot anyone. In a situation where my kids' lives were threatened though? I would also defend my family with all I have.
krithikagowri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krithikagowri.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by krithikagowri »

I don't believe gun is an answer if you have a choice to not use it.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Is gun really the answer? Just think of it. If everyone packs a gun for protection, then the scenario will have a similacrum to life in the Wild, Wild West of long ago. There are good points, and there are bad ones. It all boils down to the particular situation at hand, on a particular location, on what we should say, a case-to-case basis.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
kegoffeney
Currently Reading: Elastic Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kegoffeney.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by kegoffeney »

Somebody in one of the above posts mentioned martial arts, and how martial arts training comes with other skills, such as training on control, emotional awareness, etc. As a lifelong practitioner of martial arts, I can confirm that this is so.

Which brings up an interesting point when it comes to guns. There's very little training (not any) that goes into having a gun. At no point upon purchasing a gun is someone sat down and it's made clear to them that the item they just purchased could end someone's life and what that really means.

When you learn martial arts, especially if you started as a kid, as I did, you have it drilled into you that the things you're learning could be used to hurt someone. And that, above all things, the goal of knowing martial arts is so that you'll never have to use it, never have to hurt anyone. Conflict resolution and diffusion are stressed first and foremost.

There's none of that when someone purchases a gun, and guns are by far more deadly than even the most ruthless of martial arts (looking at you, Krav Maga!)

Something to think about
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

I don't agree that guns are the answer. Too many persons are killed when a gun gets into the wrong person's hands. Also many persons use them to commit suicide when they are depressed, which they would not if a gun were not at hand. I will not have any in my home.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I believe as a last call one could be the answer given the right situation. Anyone who is put in the right situation and has a gun will most likely use it when it comes to survival of your family, friends and even yourself.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

Ehhh. I haven't ever been in the situation (thankfully) where I've had to defend myself, so I have a hard time taking a firm stance against one. I could see myself wishing I had one in a few select circumstances. That being said, I think we should definitely limit high-capacity guns/rifles so that school shootings are not the norm.
RachelP1998
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelp1998.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by RachelP1998 »

Violence is what keeps driving the world into chaos, and many people go through problems never using a weapon. So I really don't think a gun should really be the answer.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I think that guns are not the problem but who is using it and why. Guns can and have saved lives. I personally don't like having a gun in my house, but I know people who have been robbed and threaten, and I can't blame them for wanting to feel safe and protect those that they love.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Julehart1 wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 05:40 Guns shouldn't ever be an answer but unfortunately they are. A person has a right to protect themselves and if a gun helps them feel safe, then that's their choice. I'm all for gun control though as these school shootings especially are getting ridiculously out of hand. But as long as people are allowed to bear arms, people will want guns for protection from others.
Your idea is good. Everybody has rights to protect themselves. Hoping for that gun will be in the right hands always. :tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I don't think guns should ever be the answer. I understand how people believe that a gun is a form of protection, but from what? Other guns? Vicious circle.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Keller-relyks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Keller-relyks »

I personally am against everyone having the right to own guns I believe a mental health background and criminal background should be ran. That is my personal perspective.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Makena Mugendi »

It's a matter of personal responsiblity. We misuse what we have most of the time. Once we have something, if we can be good stewards of it, then sure, keep it. Sadly, that is not the case in our society.

But banning guns is not the answer either. Just make it much more difficult to obtain one. It reduces the probability of it falling into the wrong hands.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”