Is gun really the answer?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Angel265
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is gun really the answer?

Post by Angel265 »

I honestly think that people in a bad neighborhood do have a right to own a gun to protect them self’s and their family. The gun then should be handled properly and not be used for idiotic acts of violence.
T-marie
Favorite Book: Game of Thrones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by T-marie »

Yes I think a gun is safe if you keep it locked up and out of kid's hands. I think if you have no other option but the gun then okay but if there is another way then do that way.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I think that a gun should be the last available option. I don't think it should be the first thing we turn to for defense, but I think there are times when it can become necessary.
ravek

Post by ravek »

Most people that are anti-gun will never want one.
Until they need one.
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

Misael wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 07:18 I don't believe there should be a gun inside one's house because if it falls under the wrong hands, it could be lethal.
Unfortunately, too often this is true. There are too many tragic examples of young children getting a hold of a loaded gun and either taking it to school, or else shooting a sibling. Many guns are also used for committing suicide, because they are available when a person is depressed.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
anna1999
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by anna1999 »

I'm at a point of life I do not believe that attacking the right or want to carry guns is the answer, but rather our morals and standards. There is something to be said about the lower rates of gun violence ages ago. It could have something to do with the time we put into making sure we, as well as our children were "ok" people.
mariapino798
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by mariapino798 »

I believe that a gun should be the last thought on people mind. But if there is no other way. You have to defend yourself.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

What doesn't make sense to me about all to me about the reluctance to put more restriction on gun use is that if you really wanted a gun to protect yourself and your family then you'd be willing to take the time to fill in the extra paperwork and go through all the channels to get the gun. Especially if it means that the people who might want to hurt you would have to go through the same process as well. There are so many countries with minimal gun violence because of these precautions.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

beck0823 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 12:28
Camille Turner wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:16 I don't know if a gun is ever the answer. I've been an expat for the last few years living in countries where guns are banned and I don't ever feel unsafe. On the contrary, I feel safer because I never hear stories of accidental shootings, school shootings, etc. (except when my news alert seems to go off every day with a story of one back home in the States). If other countries can protect themselves without guns, Americans can too. The one difficulty that lies in this is perhaps that as guns are already allowed in the States, people question whether they need a gun to defend themselves from someone else with a gun. That's a tough one.
I completely agree with you! Guns are so accessible which seems to one of the main problems - when there is very little regulation, guns end up with the wrong people. Australia had a massive buy-back option in order to lower the amount of guns that were available and make it much more difficult to obtain one, and it successfully lowered their gun violence. I don't see that happening here anytime soon unfortunately.
That is a great example! I agree that I doubt that will happen anytime soon but how wonderful it would be if the States copied Australia and initiated a similar program. Maybe one day...we can hope!
katnkids1

Post by katnkids1 »

I feel sometimes a gun is the answer bc some people are not strong enough to fight off an intruder
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

Gun has been protecting us for ages, but gun has been abused, to the question, yes gun is the answer
mercylynne
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylynne.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by mercylynne »

Guns should not be allowed into households because in most occasions they cause more harm than good. There people in our society who will not use them for protection but rather to hurt others.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

anneloretrujillo wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 11:50 I think that a gun should be the last available option. I don't think it should be the first thing we turn to for defense, but I think there are times when it can become necessary.
This is true.
If it is taken as spoon, gun will be worse than you think. Gun have to be taken as kings property and protected like gold.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I don't believe in it. If there are no guns kept in your house, then there's no possibility of it getting into the wrong hands or being misused.
In books it would depend on the situation whether it was the only answer or not.
Nimrah Asad Khan
Favorite Book: Hunger Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Nimrah Asad Khan »

It shouldn't be easy to get access to weapon. To be honest, it depends upon the person, whether they use it to defend themselves and their loved ones or to hurt innocent people, and only people with twisted mind would go for the latter. But if access to weapons is hard there would be less chances, in my opinion. But in today's world people are so corrupted that they'd do anything for the sake of money and as much as it saddens us, seeing people losing their lives like that, it's going to increase because of how evil-minded, self-centered and selfish we've become. Killing people only because of their race, religion, caste, gender etc should be considered wrong but many people consider it right. I mean, look around the world, genociding innocent lives for the sake of land or oil or whatsoever, killing innocent people is now considered normal, people would go so far to defend genociding and this is when you know there's something wrong with their minds.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”