Is gun really the answer?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
phatgirl123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is gun really the answer?

Post by phatgirl123 »

no guns is not but to some people it is.Law makers made it easy for the wrong people to get guns back in the day now its like a diease its spread .Guns should be used to protect your self and your family but some people used them to hurt other people just cause they can.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I believe that guns are never the answer. Look at all the anguish and heartache that guns are causing in your country. I am Australian and guns have not been an issue for years. It is peaceful and safe by comparison. Don’t all people want that for their countries?
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Part of the biggest problems in this world is having many guns in wrong hands. In our part of the continent, one writer said that majority of those licensed firearm holders have the following traits: They have fat wallets, fat egos, and empty heads.
That tells you where my stand on gun possession lies.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

I think that our society is heading in a direction where guns are commonplace enough that everyone needs them. We aren’t there yet though. I believe cooler heads and better diplomacy still have a chance to allow us to ratchet down a few notches so we can be like our other first-world cousins who have better gun control and less gun violence.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Makena Mugendi wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 16:10 It's a matter of personal responsiblity. We misuse what we have most of the time. Once we have something, if we can be good stewards of it, then sure, keep it. Sadly, that is not the case in our society.

But banning guns is not the answer either. Just make it much more difficult to obtain one. It reduces the probability of it falling into the wrong hands.
You have the point, though. Owning a gun comes with a great responsibility. It has both positive and negative side. Hoping for guns will be in the right person.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I personally would not have a gun in the house. I do believe that everyone has a right to protect themselves but I am seeing more and more each day having a gun in the house for protection has caused the opposite reaction. Day-after-day I hear the stories of children shooting themselves or others because of the access to one inside the home. I know that there are many with the "kill or be killed" mentality but I don't know if I could shoot someone if put in that situation.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Guns is really not the answer, however, if it's the only way out then you have to use it.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Sharon2056 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 06:49 Guns is really not the answer, however, if it's the only way out then you have to use it.
You have a point. Hoping that all guns will be in the right hands. When somebody has a gun, it means that they are not afraid to kill .:(
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I find this question puzzling. On one hand, no, definitely not. A gun is the last line of defense that should ever be used. Considering the saturation of guns in American society and the fact that the foundation of America was built on guns killing people... and has continued to grow as a world power by using guns to kill people. I can see how so many could reach for a gun first. Many are conditioned to be this way. America has been glorifying guns since the beginning... and now we are seeing the damage they do.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
VictoriaMcMillen

bootsie0126+ wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 04:22 I personally would not have a gun in the house. I do believe that everyone has a right to protect themselves but I am seeing more and more each day having a gun in the house for protection has caused the opposite reaction. Day-after-day I hear the stories of children shooting themselves or others because of the access to one inside the home. I know that there are many with the "kill or be killed" mentality but I don't know if I could shoot someone if put in that situation.
I cannot imagine really having to kill someone either. I would not want a gun, solely for protection, laying around my house either. I teach my kids about guns and their use to get us food and furs, not for harming people. They understand they can't ever take a bullet back, or what that bullet does. Gun safety and respect are key.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

VictoriaMcMillen wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 18:59 I find this question puzzling. On one hand, no, definitely not. A gun is the last line of defense that should ever be used. Considering the saturation of guns in American society and the fact that the foundation of Am
erica was built on guns killing people... and has continued to grow as a world power by using guns to kill people. I can see how so many could reach for a gun first. Many are conditioned to be this way. America has been glorifying guns since the beginning... and now we are seeing the damage they do.
You're right! Your comment also gives clarification of the good side of guns. However, when guns used for negative intentions sound sad. :(
VictoriaMcMillen

phatgirl123 wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 08:14 no guns is not but to some people it is.Law makers made it easy for the wrong people to get guns back in the day now its like a diease its spread .Guns should be used to protect your self and your family but some people used them to hurt other people just cause they can.
A very true perspective. Guns, I believe, should be for getting food! The whole idea of killing each other needs to stop being an option! Wars need to stop and actual problem solving be taught to all. If our countries are going to keep using guns to kill each other, if our society's people are okay with that, we will always have these problems, instead of real peace.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

Yes, a gun is the answer if it is your only option. Any other option should be used before this violent last resort, though.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

lesler wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 22:55 Yes, a gun is the answer if it is your only option. Any other option should be used before this violent last resort, though.
Yeah, if it badly needed for self defense. Too sad for the dead.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I believe that any kind of weapons of protection can be safe, if in the hands of the right persons. To determine who is the right person is the big question. Because not only guns but any other instrument can prove to be fatal in the hands of the wrong person.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”