The Role of Age in Today's Society

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Jillpillbooknerd
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Requiem Of The Rose King
Bookshelf Size: 1858
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: The Role of Age in Today's Society

Post by Jillpillbooknerd » 26 Jun 2018, 13:11

Unfortunately, I feel like the views of the elderly in the book were accurate. As my parents get older, especially my mom, I see how she is treated by people. It makes me angry and saddened to think that people get treated differently because of their age. Our elders (I hate to use that term) have so much wisdom and knowledge that we can learn from them if we would only slow down and hang out with them more.

Storm+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Storm+ » 27 Jun 2018, 16:02

I think that Fleisher's depiction of the current treatment of the elderly is fairly accurate. Much of America's older population has to face aggression and neglect on a daily basis. However, we cannot confuse our society's views of the elderly with the world's views of the elderly. In some cultures, treating the elderly with respect and taking care of them is a priority, whereas in American culture, it is not. If the demographic had changed from (mostly) white elders to, say, Chinese elders, the whole narrative might have shifted. The same problems might have arose in regards to guns, but with very different motivations.

Julie Green
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Treason by Fiorentino Ferri

Post by Julie Green » 10 Aug 2018, 15:02

I wish more books explored the point of view of the elderly, though I suppose only elderly authors can truly experience - and perhaps therefore accurately describe - what it actually feels like ..

mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by mac83 » 17 Aug 2018, 08:49

I just started reading this book the other day. Unfortunately, people do target elderly individuals as easy targets. We hear all the time about the phone scams or older people being taken advantage of. I don't necessary think it's to the degree as listed in the book, but I do believe our senior citizens get targeted for being used in numerous ways because of their age.
Mac :techie-reference:

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”