The Role of Age in Today's Society

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Post Reply
User avatar
DaEminent
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Sep 2017, 01:59
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: The Role of Age in Today's Society

Post by DaEminent » 01 Apr 2018, 15:43

This generation of ours, we are so smart to the extent of doing what our elderly ones have not even lay their hands in.

User avatar
Misael
Posts: 289
Joined: 16 Jan 2018, 17:12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael.html
Latest Review: Evenfall by Imonlega Ebehi

Post by Misael » 02 Apr 2018, 03:16

The young ones will eventually become the old ones. With this in mind, they would realize the importance of placing great value to not only the elderly, but everyone. Every age bracket contribute to the society, regardless how small or big it might be.

Acwoolet
Posts: 490
Joined: 07 May 2014, 21:57
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading: Crown of souls
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet » 02 Apr 2018, 08:14

I think that it is unfortunately very relevant to today’s society. It shows us how we need to change to take care of our elderly.

User avatar
danjumma
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 Apr 2018, 21:40
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by danjumma » 03 Apr 2018, 11:02

i truly appreciate your point my brother. The real truth is that we are where we are today not because of our efforts alone but the contribution and advice given to us by our elders... We should therefore place a great value on them because we will one day get to the stage...

anix67
Posts: 195
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 01:09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anix67.html
Latest Review: Prairie Patriarch by Rosemary J. Erickson, Ph.D.

Post by anix67 » 05 Apr 2018, 17:15

This is a good question and honestly, I would have to say I think the answer is yes. Which is unfortunate

User avatar
Faithmwangi
Posts: 179
Joined: 03 Aug 2017, 13:40
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Location: kilifi

Post by Faithmwangi » 06 Apr 2018, 03:34

The elderly have done so much in our society, especially in bringing us up.The bare truth is that we all get old some day and we should regard the elderly with the same respect and affection we would also like to be accorded with once we grow old. No one wishes to be weak and vulnerable but sadly those are some of the downsides of getting old.

User avatar
dtb
Posts: 250
Joined: 08 Feb 2018, 15:33
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: The Wizard of Tut Tut Bun by John McCarrick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb » 06 Apr 2018, 09:16

It seems like what we define as elderly is changing in that people are living longer and with better health. I do think society is more focused on helping people stay at home and being independent longer, but maybe it's because I think about that more as my parents get older and I get older so I'm paying closer attention to the options.

I think the book had a good range of older folks living different types of lives.

User avatar
qsusan
Posts: 182
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 02:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan » 07 Apr 2018, 05:37

Yes, it does in some places, particularly in the United States. I feel the result might be the same depending on the group chosen. Resentment at their treatment is the main cause of the tragedies of Final Notice. Hence any demographic that harbors intense resentment will likely produce similar results when placed in the novel setting.

User avatar
jenniferty
Posts: 2
Joined: 05 Apr 2018, 06:58
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jenniferty » 08 Apr 2018, 15:15

Many of my older-adult patients wanted to make a difference in the world but, finding no role for themselves, were treated as socially useless. Having created a new stage of life,

User avatar
crediblereading2
Posts: 780
Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 13:32
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: Boyhood Dream by John Scully

Post by crediblereading2 » 08 Apr 2018, 17:18

I find that in today's world, older persons are sometimes underrated and discriminated against. Younger folks should always remember that older folks are sometimes better equipped with experience, knowledge, and intelligence than they are.

User avatar
Darront24
Posts: 9
Joined: 20 Mar 2018, 21:40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darront24.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darront24 » 08 Apr 2018, 18:00

crediblereading2 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 17:18
I find that in today's world, older persons are sometimes underrated and discriminated against. Younger folks should always remember that older folks are sometimes better equipped with experience, knowledge, and intelligence than they are.
Depending on the context I agree with you. This is a very back and forth situation largely because of the societal and technological changes in the last couple decades.

Perspective and heritage are two aspects older generations have that I tend to value pretty highly (with grains of salt as needed when you're from the South like myself). Other things like how we communicate with each other are so vastly different that there's a gap even between the Millennials and Gen-X'ers.

User avatar
ostercl
Posts: 49
Joined: 08 Feb 2018, 20:55
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl » 09 Apr 2018, 12:12

britt13 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 19:15
I thought about this quite frequently. I felt some things felt a bit stuffy to me and I realized that may be because this book would speak better to someone older. I talked to my husband about the chapter where the Pitbull attacks Vince and his sweet little Corgi, and he (my husband) pointed out that the older generation have a lot of bias against Pitbulls. That is just one example of many that I noticed.
This is a great point! I think that a good portion of this book was catered towards an older generation (for good reason) - I did not originally pickup on the analogy of the pitbull being something that the elderly have a bias against, but I think you are correct.

User avatar
ostercl
Posts: 49
Joined: 08 Feb 2018, 20:55
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl » 09 Apr 2018, 12:13

Britteney wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 19:01
Our elders has taught us many thing from how to take care of our selves to all about Life... They have been our greatest role models and passed down knowledge that cant be taught in a classroom. We should honor our elders and show them the same curtesy that they have shown us...
I do agree! Different generations should be more open to older, AND newer generations because we all have something to learn from each other.

User avatar
ostercl
Posts: 49
Joined: 08 Feb 2018, 20:55
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl » 09 Apr 2018, 12:16

Miriam Molina wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 18:43
Unfortunately, the book is realistic in it's depiction of how the elderly are treated. I admit I am guilty myself of impatience in dealing with the feeble old. A sobering thought is that one day soon, I will be at the receiving end.
I too had this same thought while reading this book - we all need to show a little more compassion and patience, because we will all be on the other side eventually.

User avatar
ostercl
Posts: 49
Joined: 08 Feb 2018, 20:55
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl » 09 Apr 2018, 12:19

crediblereading2 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 17:18
I find that in today's world, older persons are sometimes underrated and discriminated against. Younger folks should always remember that older folks are sometimes better equipped with experience, knowledge, and intelligence than they are.
Although I do believe the elderly are equipped with more, and different intelligence/knowledge, that knowledge may not necessarily be better. Of course I am playing devils advocate - but at any point do you think the younger generation may have a similar amount of knowledge to offer? Do knowledge and wisdom always intertwine?

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”