The Role of Age in Today's Society

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: The Role of Age in Today's Society

Post by Misael Carlos »

The young ones will eventually become the old ones. With this in mind, they would realize the importance of placing great value to not only the elderly, but everyone. Every age bracket contribute to the society, regardless how small or big it might be.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I think that it is unfortunately very relevant to today’s society. It shows us how we need to change to take care of our elderly.
danjumma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by danjumma »

i truly appreciate your point my brother. The real truth is that we are where we are today not because of our efforts alone but the contribution and advice given to us by our elders... We should therefore place a great value on them because we will one day get to the stage...
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

This is a good question and honestly, I would have to say I think the answer is yes. Which is unfortunate
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The elderly have done so much in our society, especially in bringing us up.The bare truth is that we all get old some day and we should regard the elderly with the same respect and affection we would also like to be accorded with once we grow old. No one wishes to be weak and vulnerable but sadly those are some of the downsides of getting old.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

It seems like what we define as elderly is changing in that people are living longer and with better health. I do think society is more focused on helping people stay at home and being independent longer, but maybe it's because I think about that more as my parents get older and I get older so I'm paying closer attention to the options.

I think the book had a good range of older folks living different types of lives.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Yes, it does in some places, particularly in the United States. I feel the result might be the same depending on the group chosen. Resentment at their treatment is the main cause of the tragedies of Final Notice. Hence any demographic that harbors intense resentment will likely produce similar results when placed in the novel setting.
jenniferty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jenniferty »

Many of my older-adult patients wanted to make a difference in the world but, finding no role for themselves, were treated as socially useless. Having created a new stage of life,
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I find that in today's world, older persons are sometimes underrated and discriminated against. Younger folks should always remember that older folks are sometimes better equipped with experience, knowledge, and intelligence than they are.
Darront24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darront24.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darront24 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 17:18 I find that in today's world, older persons are sometimes underrated and discriminated against. Younger folks should always remember that older folks are sometimes better equipped with experience, knowledge, and intelligence than they are.
Depending on the context I agree with you. This is a very back and forth situation largely because of the societal and technological changes in the last couple decades.

Perspective and heritage are two aspects older generations have that I tend to value pretty highly (with grains of salt as needed when you're from the South like myself). Other things like how we communicate with each other are so vastly different that there's a gap even between the Millennials and Gen-X'ers.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

britt13 wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 19:15 I thought about this quite frequently. I felt some things felt a bit stuffy to me and I realized that may be because this book would speak better to someone older. I talked to my husband about the chapter where the Pitbull attacks Vince and his sweet little Corgi, and he (my husband) pointed out that the older generation have a lot of bias against Pitbulls. That is just one example of many that I noticed.
This is a great point! I think that a good portion of this book was catered towards an older generation (for good reason) - I did not originally pickup on the analogy of the pitbull being something that the elderly have a bias against, but I think you are correct.
ostercl

Post by ostercl »

Britteney wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 19:01 Our elders has taught us many thing from how to take care of our selves to all about Life... They have been our greatest role models and passed down knowledge that cant be taught in a classroom. We should honor our elders and show them the same curtesy that they have shown us...
I do agree! Different generations should be more open to older, AND newer generations because we all have something to learn from each other.
ostercl

Post by ostercl »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 18:43 Unfortunately, the book is realistic in it's depiction of how the elderly are treated. I admit I am guilty myself of impatience in dealing with the feeble old. A sobering thought is that one day soon, I will be at the receiving end.
I too had this same thought while reading this book - we all need to show a little more compassion and patience, because we will all be on the other side eventually.
ostercl

Post by ostercl »

crediblereading2 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 17:18 I find that in today's world, older persons are sometimes underrated and discriminated against. Younger folks should always remember that older folks are sometimes better equipped with experience, knowledge, and intelligence than they are.
Although I do believe the elderly are equipped with more, and different intelligence/knowledge, that knowledge may not necessarily be better. Of course I am playing devils advocate - but at any point do you think the younger generation may have a similar amount of knowledge to offer? Do knowledge and wisdom always intertwine?
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

From what I've observed pertaining to society's interaction with the elderly, the portrayal of how the former deals with the latter is mostly true. There's ofttimes this impatience in the younger generation with the older because we think of them as slow, or maybe because we know eventually that's going to be us and we hate facing that possibility. There are exceptions, however, when some rare individuals have no problem relating to the elderly.

I think it can be looked on from another perspective too. If the younger generation was placed in the role taken in Final Notice, there'd be hints of that same disparaging theme. The younger generation is frequently thought of as foolish and naive and generally treated with little to no consideration for their opinions or input.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”