The Role of Age in Today's Society

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Re: The Role of Age in Today's Society

Post by Storm+ »

I think that Fleisher's depiction of the current treatment of the elderly is fairly accurate. Much of America's older population has to face aggression and neglect on a daily basis. However, we cannot confuse our society's views of the elderly with the world's views of the elderly. In some cultures, treating the elderly with respect and taking care of them is a priority, whereas in American culture, it is not. If the demographic had changed from (mostly) white elders to, say, Chinese elders, the whole narrative might have shifted. The same problems might have arose in regards to guns, but with very different motivations.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I wish more books explored the point of view of the elderly, though I suppose only elderly authors can truly experience - and perhaps therefore accurately describe - what it actually feels like ..
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I just started reading this book the other day. Unfortunately, people do target elderly individuals as easy targets. We hear all the time about the phone scams or older people being taken advantage of. I don't necessary think it's to the degree as listed in the book, but I do believe our senior citizens get targeted for being used in numerous ways because of their age.
Mac :techie-reference:
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

Parents are people who we must respect and respect, especially our own parents, namely our mothers and fathers, according to the teachings of my religion, serving our parents, especially our mothers, is the closest road to the end of the life of entering heaven.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

"Elder" in literature usually means two things- either "Elders" which implicates knowledge and control or "elderly" as in weak of mind, body and usually also stuck in the past somehow. Generally, in books set in modern times, the latter is most common.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

As the daughter of senior citizen parents, this book really strikes a chord with me. I still see my parents as capable adults, and functional members of society despite ailments and signs of age. As a sufferer of chronic illness, I sometimes perceive that they are more capable than I am most of the time. LOL ;)
And, I know that they appreciate that and would prefer me to see them that way rather than to coddle them. They would be annoyed if I did that.

On the other hand, I see how businesses and organizations prey on the elderly. My late grandpa was taken in many times by door-to-door merchants who were pushing what was to become "the next big thing." Mind you I'm only 10% through this book as of this post, but I see how the senior discount on firearms inspired the characters to jump on the bandwagon.

Just like older women buy overpriced fashion jewelry from shopping networks, some corporations see them as "easy prey." I see so many television advertisements are pushing everything from "jitterbug" cellphones to emergency devices for the elderly. I wonder how much is well intended for the care and protection of our elders, and how much of it is corporate greed. Perhaps a fair amount of both, but so many people prey on the vulnerability of the older generations.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

The book focuses on the security issues faced by seniors and would have been very different it another age group had been chosen.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

There are a ton of people who are very dismissive and sometimes even hateful towards the elderly. I once watched a video of a man in his twenties harassing an elderly couple who did nothing more than walk on 'his' sidewalk, similar to the scene when the elderly gentleman was harassed by the young man in Final Notice.

With America's climate, all you have to do is go on social media to see videos with Muslims,Mexicans and African Americans, among others, being the target of racial hate.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I do think he portrays our current societal view of the elderly correctly. Everybody is too busy to slow down enough to care about elderly people. That work is outsourced just like kids in daycare. I think the elderly have special circumstances that made them a viable demographic for the story. They are old and their bodies and minds are declining, but they are still healthy enough to make decisions for themselves. I don’t know that another demographic would have worked in the same way.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think the elderly are treated very well in our society. They are seen as having old-fashioned views and their opinions are often dismissed. In fact, they, themselves, are often dismissed. I think that the behavior described in the book is seen as easily attributed to this segment of the population. Any other demographic would have had to have had their actions explained further.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

To an extent, i think the present generation seem to be careless towards elderly. However, we live in a dynamic world that keeps changing everyday. It is important that the older generation should give way for younger generations who are up to date with the current trend on technological and political advancement to lead the way.
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

I had a lot of thoughts about this. I felt some things felt a bit stuffy to me and I realized that may be because this book would speak better to someone older.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”