The Role of Age in Today's Society

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Post Reply
User avatar
ReadingRebecca
Posts: 240
Joined: 17 Jun 2017, 13:07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Mercy by Rebecca Chianese
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
Location: North Carolina, US

Re: The Role of Age in Today's Society

Post by ReadingRebecca » 28 Mar 2018, 15:57

Very interesting. There was a time I felt the elderly were not treated as well as they had been in the past. But it depends which past we're looking at. A few centuries ago, the elderly amongst the poor were given no more consideration than any other age, perhaps less so since they could no longer work. However the premise of the elderly being left behind is an interesting one. As a younger person I have wondered why they don't "keep up" with change since everybody else does, and it would be to their benefit.
* *I miss snow!* *
* * * * *
* * *
* *

User avatar
Kelebogile Mbangi
Posts: 822
Joined: 28 May 2017, 05:20
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: THE WAY I SEE IT: A Head-to-Toe Guide to Common Orthopedic Conditions by Thomas neviaser, MD
Location: Pretoria, South Africa

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi » 28 Mar 2018, 16:59

britt13 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 19:15
I thought about this quite frequently. I felt some things felt a bit stuffy to me and I realized that may be because this book would speak better to someone older. I talked to my husband about the chapter where the Pitbull attacks Vince and his sweet little Corgi, and he (my husband) pointed out that the older generation have a lot of bias against Pitbulls. That is just one example of many that I noticed.
Wow, I never knew about that particular bias. Its interesting how people can have different experiences or reactions to the same book, all depending on their unique perspectives.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

User avatar
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 3117
Joined: 02 May 2017, 20:17
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Just a Shelter Dog by Sally H. Cronk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 28 Mar 2018, 18:43

Unfortunately, the book is realistic in it's depiction of how the elderly are treated. I admit I am guilty myself of impatience in dealing with the feeble old. A sobering thought is that one day soon, I will be at the receiving end.

User avatar
Aubrey Cana Laine
Posts: 99
Joined: 23 May 2017, 02:01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-cana-laine.html
Latest Review: Dreaming of Daniel by J M Admore

Post by Aubrey Cana Laine » 29 Mar 2018, 02:08

In regards to this post, I feel like I should express my opinion about the elderly. People will grow old someday, that's for sure. It's not like it's their fault that their minds can't process as quickly as it was back then, that their bodies are becoming weaker and such. The elderly should be respected, not cast aside like useless people in the world. This kind of behaviour that occurs in society most of time really gets on my nerves and makes me sad at the same time.

User avatar
See_B00kReaDs
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 09:18
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 04:58

Gunnyswife wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 18:36
The major difference with those elderly and ours is that most of them seem to be able to live independently instead of what we have been doing is putting our elders into nursing homes or forcing them to stay with family once something bad happens to them.
This is so true, I pity those elders who are in the nursing homes when they should spend their last remaining days with their loved ones.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan


God bless you! :D

User avatar
See_B00kReaDs
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 09:18
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 05:00

Miriam Molina wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 18:43
Unfortunately, the book is realistic in it's depiction of how the elderly are treated. I admit I am guilty myself of impatience in dealing with the feeble old. A sobering thought is that one day soon, I will be at the receiving end.
It's a great reminder to respect and love our elders.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan


God bless you! :D

User avatar
See_B00kReaDs
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 09:18
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 05:04

n-dai che wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 06:14
Britteney wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 19:01
Our elders has taught us many thing from how to take care of our selves to all about Life... They have been our greatest role models and passed down knowledge that cant be taught in a classroom. We should honor our elders and show them the same curtesy that they have shown us...
You're right! :tiphat:

Our elders often times neglected because of they became a liability to some. And usually, their children put them in the home for the aged. :(
Sad but true :( I hope our society will value our elders more than let them feel insecure and depressed by putting them in nursing homes.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan


God bless you! :D

User avatar
See_B00kReaDs
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 09:18
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 05:09

Aubrey Cana Laine wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 02:08
In regards to this post, I feel like I should express my opinion about the elderly. People will grow old someday, that's for sure. It's not like it's their fault that their minds can't process as quickly as it was back then, that their bodies are becoming weaker and such. The elderly should be respected, not cast aside like useless people in the world. This kind of behaviour that occurs in society most of time really gets on my nerves and makes me sad at the same time.
People becomes more impatient and disrespectful towards the elderly not thinking they would become one too in the end.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan


God bless you! :D

User avatar
See_B00kReaDs
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 09:18
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 05:18

Camille Turner wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 15:09
I believe the elderly are treated with neglect and often overlooked in general today.
I just hope that the elders will get the respect and love they deserve.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan


God bless you! :D

User avatar
n-dai che
Posts: 247
Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che » 29 Mar 2018, 05:21

See_B00kReaDs wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:04
n-dai che wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 06:14
Britteney wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 19:01
Our elders has taught us many thing from how to take care of our selves to all about Life... They have been our greatest role models and passed down knowledge that cant be taught in a classroom. We should honor our elders and show them the same curtesy that they have shown us...

You're right! :tiphat:

Our elders often times neglected because of they became a liability to some. And usually, their children put them in the home for the aged. :(
Sad but true :( I hope our society will value our elders more than let them feel insecure and depressed by putting them in nursing homes.
Yeah, my grandma's brother was planning that they will move to the home for the aged because they are being rejected by their own children. Their children and grandchildren oftentimes cursed them. So sad.

User avatar
n-dai che
Posts: 247
Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che » 29 Mar 2018, 05:26

See_B00kReaDs wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:18
Camille Turner wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 15:09
I believe the elderly are treated with neglect and often overlooked in general today.
I just hope that the elders will get the respect and love they deserve.
Hoping for... In my current location, I often heard my neighbors shouting, cursing, and saying unkind words to their elderly. I don't like to hear them. So sad. If only I could report it to the cops. Maybe soon.

User avatar
n-dai che
Posts: 247
Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che » 29 Mar 2018, 05:29

See_B00kReaDs wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:09
Aubrey Cana Laine wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 02:08
In regards to this post, I feel like I should express my opinion about the elderly. People will grow old someday, that's for sure. It's not like it's their fault that their minds can't process as quickly as it was back then, that their bodies are becoming weaker and such. The elderly should be respected, not cast aside like useless people in the world. This kind of behaviour that occurs in society most of time really gets on my nerves and makes me sad at the same time.
People becomes more impatient and disrespectful towards the elderly not thinking they would become one too in the end.
Yeah, it so sad to hear from their own children's curse. They keep on throwing back the sad memories. The elder couple will just cry .

User avatar
n-dai che
Posts: 247
Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 20:41
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che » 29 Mar 2018, 05:34

See_B00kReaDs wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:00
Miriam Molina wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 18:43
Unfortunately, the book is realistic in it's depiction of how the elderly are treated. I admit I am guilty myself of impatience in dealing with the feeble old. A sobering thought is that one day soon, I will be at the receiving end.
It's a great reminder to respect and love our elders.
If only my grandma and grandpa were still alive. I want to cherish their remaining days. Sadly, they already died when I was still young. I am grateful because I saw them both though a little time.

User avatar
See_B00kReaDs
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 09:18
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 06:50

n-dai che wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:26
See_B00kReaDs wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:18
Camille Turner wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 15:09
I believe the elderly are treated with neglect and often overlooked in general today.
I just hope that the elders will get the respect and love they deserve.
Hoping for... In my current location, I often heard my neighbors shouting, cursing, and saying unkind words to their elderly. I don't like to hear them. So sad. If only I could report it to the cops. Maybe soon.
That's too terrible! How could they do that to their own elders? I feel you...
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan


God bless you! :D

User avatar
See_B00kReaDs
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 09:18
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 07:01

n-dai che wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:34
See_B00kReaDs wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 05:00
It's a great reminder to respect and love our elders.
If only my grandma and grandpa were still alive. I want to cherish their remaining days. Sadly, they already died when I was still young. I am grateful because I saw them both though a little time.
My grandparents passed away long ago too. That's why I cherish my parents now since they are already senior citizens, they need to feel loved and respected all the more.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan


God bless you! :D

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”