Was the authors style distracting from the plot?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: A Scribe Dies In Brooklyn by Marvin J Wolf

Re: Was the authors style distracting from the plot?

Post by pricklypurple » 30 Jun 2018, 08:21

I didn't find any of these things distracting. I thought the book flowed nicely and was easy to read. I just found the dialogue a bit dull at times.

mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by mac83 » 30 Aug 2018, 12:31

All of the back and forth has made it hard for me to truly get into the book. I'm following along better now, but in the beginning it was so hard to stay focused and in the book. I'd come into another character and need to try and remember who this character is as I'm reading along and question if I had already been introduced or not.
Mac :techie-reference:

Alicia09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alicia09 » 02 Sep 2018, 18:33

I found the chapters to be the most distracting, because in the first half of the story, every chapter focused on a different person. Then in the last half of the book I found chapters that tried to include three different peoples lives in the same chapter. This was distracting because I was expecting only one persons perspective per chapter.

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: A Study in Scarlet
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: The Art of Sane Aging for Women by Camille Goscicki
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 07 Sep 2018, 18:57

britt13 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:51
I found many instances where the Fleisher's style of writing was incredibly distracting to me. It was hard for me to stay engaged with the book and/or plot because of this. Examples are excessive use of ellipses and parenthesis, choppy chapters, technical jargon, and changing names of things to something similar (obviously so he does not get sued, I understand why it was just annoying to me personally). Did this affect anyone the same way? Did you notice these elements and like them? Did you not even notice some or all of these? I am very curious to know how others felt about this.
Absolutely hated his style and his lack of skill. The dialog was the worst, especially in the corporate offices of Vijay. How many different times did he think we needed to read a list of the employees he wanted at a meeting?

And then adding in lines about how the secretary is calling them and who is coming to the meeting. What the heck??.

By the end, I vowed never to recommend this book to anyone. So I gave it one star.

:tiphat: :tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: A Study in Scarlet
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: The Art of Sane Aging for Women by Camille Goscicki
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 07 Sep 2018, 18:58

KLafser wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 10:01
I am so on the same page with you! In some places, he was telling a story, in others, it felt like a screenplay with a whole bunch of unnecessary dialog. Still other places, it felt preachy. When he started speaking directly to the reader about 2/3 in ... sigh, I found it very disruptive.
Lots of unnecessary dialog and overly preachy.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 08 Sep 2018, 09:52

Yes! Thank you for bringing this up. I felt that the sentence structure was often confusing. I found myself having to re-read long meandering sentences to grasp what he was trying to tell us as readers.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”