Views on Immigration

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Views on Immigration

Post by authorswrite »

Listen, immigration is fine as long as it is legal. Illegal immigration stinks. We have to take care of our citizens first. Did you know that in some parts of our country Sharia Law is the law of the land? That really bothers me. Sharia Law is NOT our Constitution. If people are going to come here, then they must obey our laws and salute our flag. Period.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I don't think, as a country founded by immigrants, that we should "close our borders". Many of the providers I work with on a daily basis were not born in this country. These are gifted individuals who are innovative, and are saving lives on a daily basis. We benefit from having them here, and I hate to think of how future generations would suffer if we did not allow others who contribute greatly to our society inside our borders.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

Camille Turner wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:07 A big question but I have to say blocking immigration completely is not the answer in my opinion. Take, for example, the Syrian refugees in the book. If you and your family were fleeing the same disasters and tried to flee but no one would let you into their country, how would you feel? I know we have to take care of people at "home" but in my view, people are people and if I was trying to save my child by sending them to another country rather than living a horrible life in the one they were just unluckily born into, I'd hope people would receive them with open arms rather than saying they needed to take care of their own children first. Talking about stopping immigration is one thing, but could you really look into the eyes of those humans and tell them to go back to their war-torn countries if face to face with them? Not wanting to get into political debates, just offering another viewpoint. I for one, would not be capable of refusing entry to someone who wanted a better life. We must find another solution.
Very well said. I have always said the same sort of thing (just not so eloquently). I know the worry is also that terrorists will be planted in the refugees but it just kills me to think that people are out there just wanting to live without the constant threat of death. I know this is a messy and huge issue that takes a ton of manhours to figure out, I just feel my heart break that I am afforded safety (relatively) just because of where I was born.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

kwame1977 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 18:04 Religious differences shouldn't affect immigration. Although there might be some problems I suggest for the purpose of unity, we must be silent on stopping immigration
I have never understood people that use the different religions argument. We already have so many different religions in this country. It is not like we are adding something new, just more of something we already have.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Quithilion wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 20:55 Why especially with regards to Muslims. They are just like any other religious fanatic and the world is full of them.

Just talking about immigration, I believe that the Earth is populated by humans, and we should be allowed to live anywhere we want to. Now if E.T. wants to move in, then I guess that depends on whether or not he wants a new life on a new planet, or if he is trying to flee from the law.
I agree with you. I have no idea why people can look at Muslims and say that they are dangerous but not look at factions of Christianity like the West Burro Baptist Church and see the same thing. When talking about groups there will always be a small handful that makes everyone look bad.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

holsam_87 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 19:22
kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 16:14 What do you think about the views about immigration espoused in Final Notice? Do you agree with the characters in the book regarding continuing to allow immigration especially as it relates to Muslims? Why or why not?
I think that immigration should be allowed as it continues to foster good relationships with countries that are outside of our borders. Preferably it should be done legally but in the event that a person can be an asset to the U.S. then we should make it easier for them to come into our nation. I understand that a lot of times it is next to impossible for people to immigrate legally because the cost exceeds $1,000. There are a lot of things and situations that need to be considered, like the fact that those who want to immigrate more than likely will not have the finances to come.

If anyone is interested in seeing a breakdown of what an immigrant needs you can go to this website: https://legalbeagle.com/5378708-much-co ... grant.html. It should be pretty recent because the copyright date is listed as 2018. I think that it does a pretty good job of breaking down all the steps that must be attained in order for someone to legally come here. However, I think that the way immigration is handled should be reevaluated because not everyone is carrying over $1,000 on them when they make such a crucial decision.
Thank you for your research and sharing the link. I had no idea it cost that much. I know to some in this country that does not seem like a lot, but for many who live here, that is a ton. Basically, a huge chunk of our population just got lucky to be born here because they would not have been able to afford to come here.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

britt13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:39
Camille Turner wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 15:07 A big question but I have to say blocking immigration completely is not the answer in my opinion. Take, for example, the Syrian refugees in the book. If you and your family were fleeing the same disasters and tried to flee but no one would let you into their country, how would you feel? I know we have to take care of people at "home" but in my view, people are people and if I was trying to save my child by sending them to another country rather than living a horrible life in the one they were just unluckily born into, I'd hope people would receive them with open arms rather than saying they needed to take care of their own children first. Talking about stopping immigration is one thing, but could you really look into the eyes of those humans and tell them to go back to their war-torn countries if face to face with them? Not wanting to get into political debates, just offering another viewpoint. I for one, would not be capable of refusing entry to someone who wanted a better life. We must find another solution.
Very well said. I have always said the same sort of thing (just not so eloquently). I know the worry is also that terrorists will be planted in the refugees but it just kills me to think that people are out there just wanting to live without the constant threat of death. I know this is a messy and huge issue that takes a ton of manhours to figure out, I just feel my heart break that I am afforded safety (relatively) just because of where I was born.
Thank you! Yes, that is a huge worry that people have, you're right. As my stepfather works in the FBI, I can say that he's told me that terrorists are already in the US (not to scare people, but it's just a fact) so those types of people will find a way no matter what, I personally feel, so why punish the kind people along with them? I completely agree with you that it is a messy issue that will take a long time to figure out and that it seems heartbreakingly unfair to have safety when others don't through no action of our own. Here's to hoping we can find a kind solution in the future!
aaldaco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaldaco.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by aaldaco »

Immigration is a difficult issue to discuss. My great-grandparents immigrated to America, and if I search further back in my family history I know I would find many more members that have immigrated here from another country. I believe it should be done legally.
ValentineT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valentinet.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by ValentineT »

I feel immigration in any country shouldn't be stopped. With this process continuing, every country should make it possible for all its occupants to have access to all the needs. To take care of their own before getting other people in. Immigration should be legal, so that no side businesses or illegalities are done.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Makena Mugendi »

Its morality versus practicality. You can't really win on this one.
In my view, it is okay to close your borders for a period of time. I am in a country where there are refugees fleeing from their war torn regions to our nation and sometimes the living conditions in the refugee camps themselves become horrible and the government is left with the choice to drop development projects intended for its citizens to focus on the immigrants or lock out the rest of the people, which might mean a bad fate for them. There is no good answer. Its checks and balances the whole way.
Aidyl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aidyl.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aidyl »

There's so much I don't want to get into about this topic, but I will say that God commands us to love the fatherless and the widow and the foreigner... so that about sums it up for me.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I view immigration as a privilege extended to everybody as long as they come here legally without harmful intent. I agree that the state should take care of its own citizens first, especially when so many of homeless are veterans that served our country.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I am very for immigration. I feel that it is an important issue and needs to be dealt with a scalpel, and not a hammer.
rusalka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by rusalka »

As an immigrant, I tend to look at these topics a bit more personally, but am also not blind to the simple fact: as long as the immigrant is white (as I myself am), (first world) people have no issues with them - even if we are unemployed or threatening to ‘take their jobs’. I suppose what I’m saying is that it’s all still looked at pretty unevenly. People of color have it a lot harder than the rest, and if someone decides to leave their country, you can be sure it wasn’t a decision made lightly. Everybody deserves to live a decent life in a safe environment.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Almost 500 years ago, the Catholic government in England burned Protestants at the stake. Once the Protestants took over the government, they began beheading Catholics. Hundreds of years of civil war all over religion.

I am a Protestant Christian. Let's say you are a Muslim. While I don't agree with your religion, it is not the basis of my feelings toward you as a person. There are plenty of Catholics, Protestants, and atheists that have committed atrocities, even in the name of religion (read up on the Crusades if you don't believe me). There are terrorists who are not Muslim (see Austin bombings) and rapists who are not Mexican. The best known serial killers were all white.

I applaud Fleisher's creation of the Khan's, as well a Qasim and Rasha. Through these characters he showed that many immigrants are just like everyone else. I don't believe you can ban someone from coming to this country solely based on religion. This entire country was founded on the principal of Freedom of Religion. It's what brought the Puritan Pilgrims here. On a boat called the Mayflower. Right after their government started burning Puritans at the stake.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”