Views on Immigration

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Re: Views on Immigration

Post by KasieMiehlke »

rylahn wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 12:11
sepicatt wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 06:57 Ok, loaded topic here. But I will say my view is to currently not allow immigration right now. We have enough children and people who are homeless and need assistance that already live here (regardless of whether legal or illegal- they are here). Take care of them first. For example, there were currently 25,000 homeless children in NYC right before winter approached. Put your resources into taking care of them. Once you solve that problem then re-evaluate immigration. It's like going to help and spend your money on the neighborhood when your own house and family are falling apart but you aren't taking care of it.
I don't believe that we should, in any given circumstance, completely block immigration just because we have inner issues that have always existed (such as homelessness) our country. We should concentrate our resources in helping problems running rampant now, yes, but that doesn't mean we should restrict immigration flow because of it.

I fully agree with you.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

CheyenneR wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 14:08 I think immigration is fine but two things need to happen first. The first thing is any country should take care to help their own people first, you can't be a land of opportunities and yet have so many people that still need housing and food in your own country. Secondly, I think any immigration needs to be done legally, to immigrate anywhere "off the books" really causes problems later down the road not only for the person/people immigrating but for the country as a whole.
I totally agree. Immigration process should be done legally.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

Gosh this really is a difficult issue to debate isn't it? So many valid points for both sides come up. If my husband hadn't legally immigrated to this country I would never have met him, and most of my family have immigrated around the world (legally) to get away from crime. We are all on this world for such a short amount of time, and since we are invested in keeping our families safe, it would be a shame to be stopped for trying to do something legally because of fear that has arisen through deeds of others.
gunnyswife
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnyswife.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by gunnyswife »

As this is a nation founded by immigrants and colonists, I don't feel stopping immigration is a good idea, as there is much we can learn from other people. We should focus our resources on helping those in need on our own soil first, but still, immigrants are very hard workers that only want to live the American dream. Why stop others from doing what our ancestors did long ago (and maybe not that long ago too )
It's amazing to see the world through the eyes of children. It's more fun to read with them, too.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

I think receiving immigrants is not as bad as what others may think. Given that there are security risks in some cases, it is still highly possible to accommodate foreign people without discrimination provided that the laws about it are improved and strictly implemented.
There's nothing else more exciting than making a rough place your comfort zone. :wink: --kc fernandez
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I have always been of the idea that immigration is a good thing, no matter the religion of the person coming in, as long as they do it the right way. If it's legal then by all means, please come on in. It's the illegal immigration I have a problem with. Besides, if America didn't allow immigration and it was just Native Americans here, how many people would actually live in America that live here now?
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I agree that we need immigration reform. The pathways to citizenship and general immigration are extremely difficult. This encourages desperate people to enter the country illegally and punishes legal immigrants. I agree that we should help the homeless and poor who are citizens, but immigration and homelessness shouldn’t be considered as mutually exclusive.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

Our nation was built on the influx of immigrants from all over the country. As long as immigrants are doing something to better their own lives AND the lives of others, they should be welcomed. They need to pay taxes like the rest of the United States Citizens, and contribute to the society that they are trying to be a part of.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

I totally agree with Melissy370. Laws should be put in place and also enforced, not only for the citizens' protection, but also specfying the penalties for any undocumented immigrant apprehended, as well as special cases in which they can be legalized, for instance in cases of natural disasters and so in. This will serve as a deterrent to others who are planning to tow this line.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

khusnick wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:06 The homeless issue expressed above is entirely separate. We have a ridiculous amount of empty houses and apartments across the country. They're sitting, falling apart, with no one living inside them. There will probably never be anyone living inside them again.
This is an incredibly perceptive note khusnick. My husband studied urban development when we were in college and I spent a lot of time with him going over zoning and repurposing plans for abandoned "projects" and neighborhoods. I certainly don't know the path to making these homes livable again but it is heartening to see it acknowledged by others. :tiphat:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

khusnick wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:06 Immigration is honestly the least of our problems. It's pushed to seem super important, but most people have not and never will be harmed or affected by an immigrant in a negative way.

The homeless issue expressed above is entirely separate. We have a ridiculous amount of empty houses and apartments across the country. They're sitting, falling apart, with no one living inside them. There will probably never be anyone living inside them again. The affordability of housing and assistance programs in getting homeless people back into actual homes are something we need to work on, yes, but that has no relation to immigration. There's no reason we can't do both.
I totally agree with you. I think immigration is not at all a problem. There are many problems other than immigration.
Katepcell13
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katepcell13.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Katepcell13 »

I believe immigration is what made this country. Immigration isn’t a problem if immigrants come legally. I agree that homelessness is a huge problem! We help other countries all the time which is amazing but we need to help our own country first. Our country is failing because we can’t simply help ourselves first. That may sound selfish but sometime you have to be selfish. So I don’t think immigration is a problem at all. There are probably some things that need work with immigrating laws but with immigration it’s self isn’t an issue.
Frank Rod
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Frank Rod »

innah96 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 08:49 As a person born from Macedonia, that moved to the UK, I will tell you what I think on this.

In Macedonia, we have people with all sorts of different cultures. Apart from the Macedonians, there are Albanians, Turks, Romans, Bulgarians, Bosnians, Serbians etc. etc. All of them have different religions - Christian (ortodox), Christian (catholic), Muslim...
People have somehow learned to live together, but there are and always will be provocations, issues, attacks and what not.

At the moment, Macedonia is on the way of becoming a two-language country (Macedonian/Albanian), which is something that I don't agree with at all.
It is getting hard now for Macedonians to get jobs, because people would prefer hiring an Albanian person, just because that person has a 1+ advantage on a language.

On the other side, there is the UK, which is struggling with a lot of foreigners coming to the country. One of which is, well, me.
There is no discrimination at all, and people can get jobs easily if they have the knowledge and experience needed. I have managed to find a wonderful job and climb the ladder, despite my nationality, and the fact that English is not my main language.

Please let me know what you think, and ask me anything, I am happy to answer :)
I too was born in another country and migrated to the U.S.A. which is the best country in the world. this is my opinion. I married an American young lady and have 2 boys. They are doing extremely well. People say "America was established through foreigners." True! However, we are now in 2018, and these times are different from the past. they have people that have blown up our towers and many other buildings. These individuals have killed and beheaded many individuals. There exist a serious drug culture and not to mention human trafficking. The only way to slow down this problem in the U.S.A. is to establish what President Trump wants, and that is a wall and a careful review of who wants to come here. these issues did not exist in the 60s or 70s. They do exist now. I am a retired cop and tend to think along the same lines as other police officers and this is what we want and need.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

The views on immigration were much-needed in this day, with all that is happening. The immigrants narrative is not being told by mainstream media. You do not see any of them on TV being interviewed or sympathized with. Without all narratives having a chance to be heard, it creates an atmosphere of ignorance and misunderstanding. If there is anything "fake" about the news, it is that it doesn't tell the whole story or all sides, as they believe they need to cram everything they can into one hour and call it comprehensive journalism. We are conditioned to accept that for news because growing up news was more comprehensive. This book made sure we saw into the possible lives of those we might come into contact with. A true glimpse into what we need to see in order to form real understandings and make sound decisions in our world.

In regards to the Muslim question- I believe that it is imperative that more people see them as human beings and not just terrorists. They are women and children, and men, all with dreams and ambitions of their own. They also have their own history and suffrages that are never talked about. I would like to hear from anyone that truly learned about these groups of people growing up, rather than simple geography and important vocabulary? Nearly none of us have actually learned about the plights of their countries as we know the plights of ours. Not that our country has a great job of telling the whole story there either.

All much needed insight for the modern human being.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Kelaine
Currently Reading: The Left Hand of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelaine.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Kelaine »

khusnick wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:06 Immigration is honestly the least of our problems. It's pushed to seem super important, but most people have not and never will be harmed or affected by an immigrant in a negative way.

The homeless issue expressed above is entirely separate. We have a ridiculous amount of empty houses and apartments across the country. They're sitting, falling apart, with no one living inside them. There will probably never be anyone living inside them again. The affordability of housing and assistance programs in getting homeless people back into actual homes are something we need to work on, yes, but that has no relation to immigration. There's no reason we can't do both.
This, yes!!
Legal immigrants (mostly) get jobs, buy things, pay taxes, and contribute to the whole economic system. Illegal immigrants still (mostly) get jobs and buy things, and contribute to the whole economic system. If illegal immigrants aren't paying taxes, they also aren't accessing free/subsidized public services to the same degree that tax-paying citizens can, so they aren't actually pulling those tax-based resources out of the economy to any significant degree.

Immigrants contribute so much to so many aspects of society; preventing immigration slows down progress working on other internal issues, including homelessness.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”