Views on Immigration

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Re: Views on Immigration

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I don't have any problem with immigration no matter where the people come from. But they have to do it legally. I know it's very difficult and I know a lot of these people are running away from pretty bad situations. But if they do it illegally, they take the risk of being sent back. It's sad, but it is how it is. They need to prove they come here to work and contribute to society and they should follow our laws.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

The flow of immigration is up to the government, and certainly they could slow the flow when the economy can't support them, but right now unemployment is at a historic low, so you could argue it's not an issue at this point. If you're talking about whether or not we should allow or disallow Muslims specifically, the answer is no. Here in the US we have little things like freedom of religion and separation of church and state. No President, or no member of Congress can call themselves a true American if they want to keep someone out of the country on no other basis but their religion.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Immigration done legally should be allowed.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I am glad the author took up this theme. Maybe, economic migration should be discouraged, but forced migration needs lots of welcoming and compassionate attitude.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that the immigrants need to come here legally, but I think the majority of us are from immigrant backgrounds. So, how can we deny someone else the right to pursue a better life, especially if they have children and their children are in danger where they currently live?
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Aren't we all immigrants of different nationalities? I mean, in the US unless you are of Native American descent your ancestors came from a different continent. I'm only 3rd generation American, so the term "Immigrant" applies as much to my grandparents and great grandparents too.

That being said, who are we to judge who can come to this country and who cannot? I suppose government legislation can employ different things to regulate individuals, and/or what they can bring with them. But, to forbid it totally would also mean we are preventing good, decent, hardworking people from seeking a better way of life in a free country.

Just my 2 cents. ;)
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I think this author call for equality when interpreting and implementing immigration laws. How we treat citizens of our equally civilised countries from Europe should also be reciprocated on the other side. When immigration laws are enforced equally and in a just manner, then no one will feel descriminated.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

Totally concur. All people should be given a chance without prejudice. Muslims everywhere should be able to immigrate legally. They share the same fundamental human rights as everyone else because they are fellow humans.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I'm an immigrant, so obviously my point of view it's affected by bias. I understand that people get concerned about security, jobs, and much more that it's related or could be related with immigration. The problem is that the answer to immigration isn't easy and politicians sometimes try to make it look as easy so they can manipulate population.
Ngozi mouau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-mouau.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ngozi mouau »

I believe in supporting legal immigration and recognize that it is unjust to generalize and stigmatize all Muslim immigrants due to the actions of a few individuals. While there can be discussions about prioritizing the needs of our own communities, it is essential to approach immigration with empathy, understanding, and compassion. By extending a helping hand to those in need, regardless of nationality or ethnicity, we can foster a more inclusive and diverse society where everyone has the opportunity to contribute and thrive.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I don't think migration is a menace. The question is; who are these migrants, and how do they get in?

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”