The Elderly and Retired; Thoughts from Final Notice

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Sefiros2211
Favorite Book: Eye of the World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sefiros2211.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: The Elderly and Retired; Thoughts from Final Notice

Post by Sefiros2211 » 03 Jun 2018, 14:48

It's because people perceive themselves as immortals. They have to. They must selfishly believe that bad things happen to other people. If they truly see themselves as vulnerable, that they're the same as everybody else, no one would get out of bed. We reject fear to live without it.

The elderly live with that. They may not say it, but they think of it. Anyone can be Vince Fuller. They get knocked down by a terrifying, intimidating and overwhelming presence, and something precious is robbed from them. Their sense of identity. Their peace of mind. Some seek violence because violence has been done to them -- it's a physical solution, a reaction, a justification. Big strong man knocked me down like a cockroach? Let's see how tough he is with a Colt .45 in his face.

I'm not saying gun violence is justifiable. I'm saying its a channel from which some people are using to escape that feeling of worthlessness. When they choose that channel, the rewards for re-establishing who's on the top of the pyramid is fleeting. The rush of superiority does not last. And for what? Hurting someone? Killing someone? What would you do to get that confidence back?

Almost anything.

The elderly may be our grandparents, but they're still human. They still make mistakes. Relying on a gun is a pretty big one. Just saying.

Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 » 05 Jun 2018, 09:04

jessinikkip wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 02:54
From the perspective of living in the US, I'd say the book very accurately portrays how the elderly are treated. I was reading an article just the other day about how someone can be declared unable to care for themselves and set to a retirement home with a "caretaker" over looking their stuff. This is all legally binding and the caretaker is whoever is on the court payroll - NOT family of the elder. Then that caretaker can take payments from the person's bank account, sell their house and car, keep their family from seeing them....
I think it's sad that the elderly are treated this way. In my culture, the scene is different. If you don't want to treat them with love, at least show some respect! You may not live as long as they did.

CheyenneR
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 113
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR » 18 Jun 2018, 22:23

I think that his depiction and your description are somewhat accurate with many people. I don't feel that older people are a burden at all but it is all too easy to see how many younger people feel the opposite way. I just returned from a trip to Japan and it was very interesting to see the difference in how the elderly are treated there (extremely respected) versus how they are treated here (somewhat a burden).

pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by pricklypurple » 30 Jun 2018, 08:22

I really think there a far fewer bitter, resentful old people as portrayed in this book. I think the majority of people as they age stop caring much and realize their life's values have been skewed in the wrong direction for the majority of it.

Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear » 06 Jul 2018, 11:57

Discrimination and abuse against the older generations in society is prevalent and worsening. There is so much talk of sexism and racism but ageism is rarely discussed. It is covered up and older people are sidelined in society (I live in the UK and see it all the time here). I haven't read all this book yet but feel so strongly about the subject having seen my elderly neighbours suffer through a very poor care system. This book resonates so much with me.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”