How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Re: How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Post by Eileen R »

The NRA does have its own share of responsibility in mass shootings. However, the perpetrators should also be held accountable. No one party is solely responsible for mass shootings.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Purely in the context of the book: the way NRA is portrayed leaves no option but to say yes, they should have been way more responsible! Not only did they fail to take responsibility for the mass shootings in two schools, they blatantly encouraged the teachers to acquire guns! I wonder how can a dangerous and fatal weapon be used to 'reduce' violence?
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

When a drunk driver kills someone, they blame the driver and not the car manufacturer. How is that any different than blaming a gun instead of the shooter? I believe the NRA should make restrictions with acquiring certain guns. I don't like that the book portrayed them as evil and insensitive. That seemed like a one-sided stance.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I think the NRA leaders were portrayed as careless and insensitive. The gun not only protected the senior citizens, it encouraged killings and murders. I feel seniors would have been given security guards and bodyguards to protect them instead of being given guns.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
butterflyinaweb
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb »

None. People are responsible for their own actions. I think a lot of what is wrong with todays world is the fact that so many fail to accept the responsibility of their actions or point the finger of blame where it doesn't belong.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

The NRA is just a company. They have no responsibility for what happens with their products after they are sold (assuming they function correctly), all they are responsible for is getting as much profit as they can legally.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

The NRA does have some responsibility in the issue of mass shootings. Afterall it actively promotes wider use of guns and helped make guns more easily available to those predisposed to such gruesome acts. However, I feel the majority of the responsibility still falls on society and the individual.
Isabelleva
Currently Reading: The Fountainhead
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelleva.html
Latest Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

Post by Isabelleva »

I think there is some responsibility to the NRA because they hold such a powerful platform and have a lot of power to manipulate what they want.
Felice01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Felice01 »

I think a lot of responsibility falls on NRA I mean how can they continue to be okay with selling, making guns available to the wrong people. people are dying daily inocent people. Wow money is the root of all evil. The sad thing is their is not change in sight how many more have to die.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

khusnick wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:00
kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:52 I'm not so sure. When a drug that the FDA has approved turns out to be deadly, people blame the drug manufacturer not the FDA. Isn't this similar?
The FDA doesn't try to push for the things they approve to be used or bought. The FDA doesn't lobby for political campaigns. The NRA has been harassing survivors of the Parkland shooting. Personally, I don't think anyone in the FDA would be doing that if someone survived after taking drugs that killed other people or to the people that were related to the deceased.

The FDA looks into their mistakes. They're willing to change their approvals when things become deadly. The NRA pushes for more guns in response to a gun problem. It's not quite the same. They absolutely are responsible because pumping more guns into the hands of angry and clearly sensitive people is their only answer. They want more sales because they get their money from corporations that want more sales, and they use that money to convince politicians to be complicit in the deaths of innocent people in huge numbers.
I agree completely. The NRA actively promotes the sale of more guns "for protection" in the wake of such mass shooting atrocities as Parkland. Their advertising and offering a "discount" just makes it worse. Anyone with even an ounce of common sense will tell you that the answer to a gun violence problem isn't more guns. Yet that is exactly what the NRA promotes. They also actively lobby and instigate legal action against any proposed change to gun laws in any US state, no matter how small. I too have witnessed first-hand their harassment of student mass shooting survivors on Twitter. From what I've seen, the NRA has absolutely no moral or social conscience. They might pretend they do, but in reality all they care about is selling more guns. So yes, they are largely responsible for the gun violence problem in the US.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

My dad was a card carrying member of the NRA and he taught my sister and I that guns are dangerous and should be handled with care. He was a hunter and only used guns in that respect. But back then, the NRA was all about gun and hunter safety so for us, it was a resource for gun use. I don't remember ever noticing a huge focus on the absolute right to bear arms but it was understood that gun ownership was a heavy responsibility and something to take very seriously if you decided to own one. Now it's all about promoting gun sales and limiting gun control. Due to this focus, it's clear to me that the NRA is a major contributor to the violence we see today. We need reasonable, responsible gun laws and the NRA hides behind the second amendment to insure that gun manufacturers and gun sales are protected instead of human life.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Considering that the author depicts that it was the NRA leaders and members idea, yes, I think they should be held just as responsible for the actions of others, as they appeared "none responsible for their own".
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

For at least a few of the shootings they should have taken some responsibility because of the senior discount. Some of their news segments were in very poor taste as well but for some of the shootings, I wouldn't say they played a part.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Absolutely they should. They only care about profit and couldn't care less about the safety of U.S. citizens. Their approach after a mass shooting is to sell more guns for "protection."
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I think they are portrayed as responsible in the book. They manipulated the media and issued the senior discount to fill their coffers not caring about the consequences. They are not responsible for the decisions people make but they are responsible to give easy gun access to people who make bad decisions.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”