What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
kennedibmth
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedibmth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by kennedibmth »

I think this is a bad idea and a good idea. People could end up spending their lives trying to do whatever to get out of death, or they could try to live their lives to the fullest before the date.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I don't think it helps you with anything. It doesn't matter if you know or if you don't. It doesn't change anything. But I guess it would be nice to say some goodbyes. Some people don't actually need that, I mean the ones that die of old age usually say their goodbyes because they have time. Anyway, it is said that when you are dying, you will know. That's why so many people in books and movies tell their loved ones they love them and then they die. There is some intuition, you know or you feel it.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I think my main worry would be if science made a mistake. Imagine living your life thinking you will doe on a certain day and live past it. I admit knowing when means I could live my days to the fullest but I like not knowing. I wouldn't want to feel like I'm forever counting down...
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
tanya shukla
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanya-shukla.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tanya shukla »

I believe the knowledge of death can make one more humble and humane
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I would never want to know when I'm going to die. The whole point of life is to be able to have plans for the future. If you know when your going to die you loose the ability to make those plans or have those hopes and dreams. Even when your sick and your doctor says you have four months to live there is still a chance that you might live for years yet or that you might die in weeks instead. I just don't see what there is to gain from knowing when you'll die.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

We would definitely live in a much different world if everyone knew when they were going to die. On a personal level, it would be interesting to see how much more seriously I would take the time I have on earth. But, I wouldn't like the pressures this would put on others to make decisions quickly on how they wanted to live out the remainder of their life. I would be very nervous to see everyone's reactions to this knowledge..
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

qsusan wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 07:08 My feelings are summarised in the statement
"Knowledge bred incidence even as it protected us from incidence."
- (a personal quote from me)

Knowing allows us to shield against known dangers but the mere act of knowing creates even more dangers. This is why Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden after they ate of the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Because they knew, they could sin. If i am colour-blind and I say red is green, have I told a lie? No. Why? Because I do not know.
Knowing changes things. However, I think the message of this book is not to fear knowledge but to be aware that all knowledge is a two sided sword- it can protect but it can also harm- and to guard accordingly.

I like the quote you gave. It's definitely a good summary of how I feel about it as well. I also agree that knowledge is a very powerful thing, well said!
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

I don't necessarily want to know, but as a sick person, I can't avoid it. My lifespan under current technological standings is pretty clearly laid out, so at 19, I already know the general age at which I'll die, which has me calculating the percentage of my life I've already spent. Only knowing 30 days in advance, the maximum prediction range in the book, therefore seems far too abrupt for me. I don't think I would buy into the final notice feature even if I were able-bodied; 30 days just doesn't seem like enough time for me to do everything I would want to do before I die.
Jackie99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie99.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC

Post by Jackie99 »

I can see pros and cons for knowing when we're going to die. It would be good if you wanted to wrap up things as jennyd2003 says, but what if you're not ready to go or you'd be leaving behind young kids etc. That would be very heartbreaking I think. That being said we can all take our exit from this mortal coil whenever we choose so maybe it's a rhetorical question.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I do not actually that it would be good because it may cause one to begin worrying as the day approaches. It is better to live the way it is now knowing that one day you will die but not knowing when. I believe God in His infinite knowledge knew why not He did not allow us to know the when one will die.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Brenna_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenna.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Brenna_ »

I would not want to know when I would die. I would be so panicked in the days leading up to it, that I wouldn't enjoy the last days of my life. I believe that everyone has an appointed time and place of their death and I am perfectly happy not knowing mine.
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 10:49 Anyway, it is said that when you are dying, you will know. That's why so many people in books and movies tell their loved ones they love them and then they die. There is some intuition, you know or you feel it.
Actually, I was dead for about 10 minutes a couple years ago and there was no intuition at all. I suppose it could be different for folks who have some sort of disease and see it coming, though.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

I think it shall be both a curse and a gift knowing when you will die. So many ideas popped into my head, being another Breaking Bad? Go wild? Or do charity instead? Joke aside, I just want to be who I am and how I'm going to live my life to the fullest, love my family, boyfriend and my pets.
Eric_jadel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eric_jadel »

I Think Knowing When To Die Should Be A Natural Gift From God.The Reason For Me Saying That Is, If You Know The Actual Day You Gonna Die, You Wont Feel Ambiguously Before Doing What Pleases You Because After All You Already Know When You Will Die So Life Goes On.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I don't want to know when i will die and i don't even want to be released when scientist find how to produce it. Do you know why?
Because more chaos would occur, more people will and number of terrorist will increase.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”