What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Myah Schultz
Currently Reading: Peace Like a River
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myah-schultz.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by Myah Schultz »

Personally, I hate the idea of knowing when I’m going to die. It might not be so bad if it turned out that I had a very long lifespan, but I would rather not know if my life is going to end soon. I wouldn’t be able to convince myself that anything mattered. I would probably spiral.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I would not want to know. In my life there have been circumstances that came along, and had I known of them in advance, I would not have handled it as well. I don’t mind the element of surprise..it makes for a great novel and life! We all know we are going to die someday, so there is a clock ticking, so enjoy everyday and be of good cheer. And be kind to others.
Everything happens for a reason...
tirzahhawkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by tirzahhawkins »

Are you talking about science being able to predict the future? Otherwise are they just predicting your medical death?
It would be ominous to have a date that you were told you would die on. Like Julius Ceasar and the ides of March.
kabuga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabuga.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by kabuga »

I think its cool because you will plan accordingly not this type of world were someone sleeps and fails to wake up.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Great statement and questions. "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only" as Christ stated; wherefore, I would rather not exactly know my expiration date. And I believe that potential technology will be out of order and should not be allowed to predicate such a thing. Suppose there's a clinch with the thing? Therefore, I would not be in agreement with scientists to release this information, granted they learn how to do so.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

I think that I would want to know when I died. But that's more of my personality. I like to plan things out, to know every possible scenario. If I knew I could plan out my will, and make sure everything is taken care of.
jackheathwriter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jackheathwriter »

Most people work harder and accomplish more with a firm deadline. I think knowledge of your death date would help people live better lives' at least until they get stressed towards the end.
abijah nange bwalya

Post by abijah nange bwalya »

life is the simple cycle that dependant upon the survival to one another.we live in order to full fill that passion that we have within us.its therefore to a call for all to understand the the present and the past in order to understand the full Dan of life .
as the day falls you went to bed and have a nice sleep in your bed......
later in the following day you are told that you are going to died after two days ..........
this it would bring the sad face to my face ... knowing that after two to three days i will be no more ..
no body in this world want to die but all want to ;live because we all want to get the most out of our self..... within us....... and want every things to be well at all times......
the Udall of life a calls us to be aware of the unknown ...because were we step is the death trap..
Boluwaji angus 01

Post by Boluwaji angus 01 »

We have all said it all, but to add a little girl to what have been said, I will add that : life is filled of funs and enjoyment. No matter hw bad or tough d moment might seem to b, we still don't want to live soon or rather so soon. :D
Most especially when we have a decision to make, between death and life, I believe that no one might have been a dead man. :lol2:
I really like this topic a lot, an example was shown in d holy bible. (Hezekiah was a victim. God sent a priest to tell him (Hezekiah) that he should get prepared for his death because he will not escape is sickness.
Actually, I assume what would be Hezekiah's reaction after he heard d word of the priest. Of course, his reaction was as expected. Hezekiah wasn't happy but rather fearful so he prayed to God for his dear life which attracted d miracle that came after. :techie-studyinggray:
So my opinion will not be different to what have been said. I will never want to know when my death will come... I repeat I will never want to know.
But as a Christian, I so much believe God will grant me a well end.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

I think it would be great to know when I'm going to die. It would have its drawbacks, but I think I would live much more freely and less influenced by fear. On the other hand, I may live with more fear of death, because I would be more consciously counting down the days until it happens.
PaigeA

Post by PaigeA »

tirzahhawkins wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 10:14 Are you talking about science being able to predict the future? Otherwise are they just predicting your medical death?
It would be ominous to have a date that you were told you would die on. Like Julius Ceasar and the ides of March.
Great reference! I love it!
PaigeA

Post by PaigeA »

jackheathwriter wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 23:48 Most people work harder and accomplish more with a firm deadline. I think knowledge of your death date would help people live better lives' at least until they get stressed towards the end.
Interesting thought. Thanks for the comment.
PaigeA

Post by PaigeA »

ValBookReviews wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 21:55 Great statement and questions. "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only" as Christ stated; wherefore, I would rather not exactly know my expiration date. And I believe that potential technology will be out of order and should not be allowed to predicate such a thing. Suppose there's a clinch with the thing? Therefore, I would not be in agreement with scientists to release this information, granted they learn how to do so.
I don't think science will every be able to predict exactly when we are going to die. But they are getting better and better at making estimates. But it can always happen at any second.
PaigeA

Post by PaigeA »

kastle wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 23:17 I think that I would want to know when I died. But that's more of my personality. I like to plan things out, to know every possible scenario. If I knew I could plan out my will, and make sure everything is taken care of.
Exactly! Why should I take out a bunch of student loans if I'm only going to live another 2 years? I'd rather know so that I can spend those 2 years doing something better than something that will help me in the long run.
PaigeA

Post by PaigeA »

Myah Schultz wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 11:43 Personally, I hate the idea of knowing when I’m going to die. It might not be so bad if it turned out that I had a very long lifespan, but I would rather not know if my life is going to end soon. I wouldn’t be able to convince myself that anything mattered. I would probably spiral.
Why do things matter if you have a longer time to live, but don't matter if you have a short time to live?

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”