What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
drunyan
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by drunyan » 28 Jun 2018, 22:37

I wish that I did know when I was going to die. Since I am going to have surgery to remove cancer from my body next week, it would be helpful to know whether I am going to die or not. If I am, I can plan on being strressed because I feel I need to invest that time in my family, preparing them for what is going to happen.

If there is not going to be an end at that point, I would continue to live life as best as I can, like I typically do. Making sure I balance expectations of close family, expectations of those I supposedly work with ( long story), and my (presently non-existent) hopes .

llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by llpwap » 29 Jun 2018, 11:05

I have always heard the saying, "ignorance is bliss." I think that saying defines exactly how I feel. There is no way I would want to know when I was going to die nor how I would perish. I think that if a person knew when they were going to die they couldn't fully live their life. They would be too cautious in some situations and a daredevil in others. I just believe knowing when your going to die goes against everything about living.

Rahul_Malviya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rahul_Malviya » 29 Jun 2018, 23:56

In case you already knows when you are going to die , you will loose the zeel and pleasure of life in presence , and actually you will die daily in worry of actually KNOWN death time..

juliecsa
Currently Reading: Adverbs
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by juliecsa » 08 Jul 2018, 11:40

I would not want to know exactly when I am going to die. I have terrible anxiety, and knowing this would make me feel like I am constantly wasting time (more than I already do).
I think this technology might make some people more reckless, if they have a short amount less, which might not be good for society as a whole.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”