How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Post by Makena Mugendi »

n-dai che wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 22:17 You're right! The watch was created with good intentions, but the holder do not know how to handle his/her Final Notice in a nice way. Why is it they chose it that way? The concept of the story happens in reality either.
It's human nature. I don't know if something can really be done. We can try to regulate wrongdoing as much as we can, but we can't curb the urge for revenge
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Makena Mugendi wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 17:50
n-dai che wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 22:17 You're right! The watch was created with good intentions, but the holder do not know how to handle his/her Final Notice in a nice way. Why is it they chose it that way? The concept of the story happens in reality either.
It's human nature. I don't know if something can really be done. We can try to regulate wrongdoing as much as we can, but we can't curb the urge for revenge
Yeah, right... When we are in conflict, we longed for revenge.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

n-dai che wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 20:12
Yeah, right... When we are in conflict, we longed for revenge.
What do you feel about these things though? I have been seeing a lot of your responses that are about a sentence long that just repeat what the person said. I get that you are trying to have the most posts but this is a discussion. I what to know what you think and feel about the book and about what people are saying about the book.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

yeah, scientific innovation makes our lives easy, but on the other side is fatal like this issue of guns.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

There are always two sides to a scientific discovery. The atomic bomb carried with it a large number of deaths, not to mention that it inaugurated an era of terror and paranoia. At the same time, the scientific principles behind it were used for what is today our maximum source of electrical energy, although not the most desirable one.

There is also the case of dynamite. Who says that its creator thought that it was going to be used in something more than the demolition of structures or in mining? Should I remind you his name, and to what famous award it is applied :lol: ?
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Then, what is the name?

Scientific innovation plays an important role in our society because it tries to make possible things out of nothing or from dangerous thing. They tried to modified like the dengue vaccine in our country, yet it damage many lives.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Technological and scientific development must go hand in hand with the emotional and intellectual development of each individual and of society as a whole, from that point, almost all developments can be carried on without the fear that people will misuse them.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:39
What do you think? Do we allow innovation to continue without reserve or guidelines? Is that ethical? Is there a way to be more careful without losing out on new inventions that will truly help the world?
It seems that every new invention comes with a new consequence that it can be used for harm as well as for good. The book of Ecclesiastics states that, apart from belief in God, everything is meaningless. I am not sure I believe in God anymore, but experience also has made me come to the conclusion that despite all of our great inventions, there remains hatred and murder, and we seem to just be going in circles trying to improve the moral environment surrounding the status of our world, and that there seems to be nothing new under the sun.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

We must recognize that every scientific innovation has its consequences. These innovations must be regulated to prevent the end of the world. The government should seriously consider this before accepting any more innovations.
JLS
Currently Reading: The Foundation Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jls.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by JLS »

The biggest risk that humanity faces are ' Black Swan' events. Essentially creating a technology whether it is for good or ill and being completely unaware of the impact it might have. That is to some degree why regulation, while wise, can only help so much because as it has been said before ' we don't know what we don't know'.
Rameen Shahid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rameen-shahid.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Rameen Shahid »

The World and this life isn't a piece of cake. There are ups and there are downs, there are issues resolved and there are problems created. While eliminating one problem, another can rise in less than even a minute! We can't eliminate every problem existing on the planet but what we can do is try, and make the most out of however much we get to explore. Live for yourself and in that, live for others.
Coming to the point where it relates to the book, death is inevitable. Thinking about death gives you anxiety, it's a proven fact. Let's agree to disagree with the belief that no one can stop death, no matter where technology goes. This body is made to deteriorate one day, even the highly preserved bodies (Egyptian Mummies) decompose to a certain level.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

This question makes me think of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep/Bladerunner." By their nature, computers are set to think in terms of yes or no. If AI gets to a point where it's making decisions about our planet, who knows what could happen? For example, if the computers suddenly decide oxygen is no good for their processors and get rid of it, we would be in a bit of trouble. Obviously, this is an extreme example, but it makes one wonder. On the flip side, technology has done so much to better our lives. AI in the medical field could help so much. As for a line between ethical and not, I'm not sure where to draw it or if it can even be drawn. There is good and bad to everything.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I have always held that technology is a necessary evil at times. Thinking about the past times we read about when no one would imagine of mass killings that could happen in seconds. A time when atomic bombs were not imaginable and when the only threat was mainly disease, you begin to see the big difference. But then here we are. The thing is that ethical issues should be held on in all technological advances. It may be hard to imagine the human race being wiped out but still ethics count much in any society at any time.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
KatePanlilio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katepanlilio.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by KatePanlilio »

People today are lucky that they live in this time wherein technology has been updated wherein even the most trivial matters can be solved by it. We move in a fast pace world and it has its advantages. Work has been made easier and quicker for us. However, the development of technology has its disadvantages. At some point, us humans cannot control of the power we have in this society to the point that we do not only ruin our environment but each other as well. We need to wake up and control how we govern our society. Lastly, we need to be kind to each other and widen our perspective in everything!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I think a lot of this depends on who is responsible for it. You can do amazing things with science but if the person responsible doesn't regulate it, it can quickly escalate out of control. Science is advancing quicker then our ability to morally understand all of the consequences
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”