How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
JR Mercier
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Re: How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Post by JR Mercier » 01 Jun 2018, 04:35

It's not black and white and it's different in every field. There are pros and cons to everything.

prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 132
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: The Dragon's Harvest by Jason F Boggs

Post by prospero360 » 01 Jun 2018, 17:55

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything but scientific innovations will always be weaponized and is a threat to the world. Which is sad :(

prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 132
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: The Dragon's Harvest by Jason F Boggs

Post by prospero360 » 01 Jun 2018, 17:59

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything, but I think scientific innovation is a threat to the world because it will always be weaponized, which is sad. The only way to stop it from ruining the world is to; firstly, stop all weapon development in every country and I don't think its possible. So....

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

Post by teacherjh » 06 Jun 2018, 00:41

This is something I felt was not completely addressed in the book. I was saddened that the older couple spent so much time on the computers once they bought them. Yes, a whole new world was open to them, but they lost out on all the long walks and talks and quiet time they had before.
Latest Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

TashaCrispin
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin » 06 Jun 2018, 06:01

This discussion of the effects of technology has always constituted a giant pool of opinions that cannot be termed as right or wrong. Technology has its pros and cons. It's just that we can't sit and hope that there won't be people who will misuse inventions to do bad. We cannot also depend solely on regulating crime with the law. I think consistently going back to the roots of humanity is what can regulate the bad in our society. Awareness of how our actions affect fellow humans.

hernanma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hernanma » 21 Jun 2018, 21:19

There’s an often recurrent expression in the scientific world that “competition drives innovation”. This can of certainty, occasionally be true. However in my active comprehension, the reality most of the time is that competition can be hugely wasteful and damaging to research. We need a new model of working that encourages transparency, openness and may improve research standards. Because far from driving scientific progress, competition is actually taking a negative toll on research output. A new grant application system from the Wellcome Trust is a nice beginning, to which applications will encourage openness by publishing proposals regardless of their success. I have confidence that we can be open about our ideas before we work on them and establish a system where we can embrace our competitors.

burhan patel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by burhan patel » 25 Jun 2018, 17:20

"curiosity leads to invention innovation" If our curiosity is on positive then way we can get success in innovation without ruining the world. In field of science and technology innovations are great but these are ruining our world we have to think about helpful things such as in field of medicine this will help the biological science to get success in new methods and ways of treatment.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”