The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
berk_sumpter
Currently Reading: The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berk-sumpter.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: The Final Notice Option

Post by berk_sumpter »

I would not want the final notice option on my watch! While that kind of scientific discovery would be amazing, I would be too anxious knowing when I would die. However, I think that it would come down to a personal choice on whether or not someone would like to have the final notice option.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I, personally, would not want the final notice option on my watch. I would prefer to trust God and live with the knowledge that my days are indeed numbered. I know that there are a variety of opinions on this matter, though, so I do not fault them for trying the technology on the alpha test group. What I do question, however, is continuing it on the beta test group after gaining the knowledge of unintended consequences the first time around. It seems they were more interested in personal gain and fame than the welfare of their test subjects and those around them.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think I would be conflicted. While it would be nice to have time to prepare my affairs, I think it would cause more anxiety and stress for me than good.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

This is not a feature I would want for myself - I have enough anxiety about not getting things done on time as it is. Imagine if I had a set date and time! Although I can see the allure of this feature, there are many things out there that are better left unknown.
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

I think that VitalTech was well justified in keeping the Final Notice option in the original test group; however, due to the controversial nature of what happened during the test, I feel they should have done a split test in the Beta group. Not on who has guns, but those with the feature and those without! This would give them feed back on whether or not the feature was really necessary for the sales they wanted to make.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Frankly, I just think it was irresponsible to put this technology in a sports watch! It could certainly be put to more effective use by hospitals, and those with chronic health conditions. Then again, I can believe that the sports watch consumer base would want a product like this. It seems like exactly the sort of advanced technology that would catch the eye of sports fanatics looking to find a way to optimize their game.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

It sounds to me like deathclock, but accurate. So yes, I think I would like that option, especially if there are people who might be upset at my passing. Giving them a few days to come to terms with my death before I actually died will make mourning me when I'm gone easier. I compare it to the difference between euthanasia and an unexpected death. Euthanasia sometimes has a set date, for example, when our cats started to die of old age, we took a few days to come to terms with it and say goodbye before the day they died. This helped us grieve for them. On the other hand, our youngest cat died suddenly, and we still have trouble accepting that he's gone. So I think a warning is as fair to the living as well as the one who is about to die.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

One day soon it will be the norm for all people to have fitness watches. As everyday goes by more people want to better themselves, become healthier, and possibly reverse adverse health to extend their life on a different better path. If a persons intention of buying the fitness watch was for prolonging their life, then I believe the inclusion of the final notice would help towards people making their decisions and to support their outcome. Ideally the hope is for the most time but if you were not living the best life, you could make the best of your remaining time. If you were unhappy in your job, you could change careers, you could pick up new hobbies, could travel the world, meet people that inspire you, it would be the push some people need to take risks and truly live a fulfilling life. I can imagine some people never learning how to use all the features of their watch and possibly never knowing of the final notice function.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I definitely wouldn't want to be in the first groups (especially the test group!) for the Final Notice warning, because even if the watch told me I only had a few days to live I wouldn't believe it if it hadn't already had a great deal of success. Once it was shown to be so accurate I would absolutely want the warning though - it would be wonderful to have a wonderful last few days, celebrate and even prepare (write out a will, say what I wanted to say for people, funeral arrangements etc.).

Overall, for the reasons this book shows, I'd hate for everyone in the world to have the ability to know; some people really aren't able to handle that. But if it was out there, sure, I'd love to know.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would want to know. On the one hand, it would be useful to me making sure that my personal affairs were taken cared of but on the other hand, I would more than likely stress to the point of overthinking and that wouldn't help me at all. It would really depend on how much I change and grow as a person since I'm still fairly young and hopefully have a long life ahead of me.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

It all comes down to the attitude of an individual. In some it may trigger them to resort to depression and revenge; in others it may egg them to live life to the fullest or make amends. I personally would not want this to be included in my sports watch. The human mind is very fickle and not infallible.The bad consequences will always outweigh the good.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I don't think I would ever want to know. I would find myself more worried about when I would die and how than living life to the fullest. I would much rather continue to live life the way I am now, none the wiser and hope i wake up tomorrow. I wouldn't want a timeframe set on my life, like a deadline.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I don't think it was wrong to include the option because I think that having the option for more information is infinitely better than withholding information purposefully. Just like how a doctor gives their opinion in similar situations, the Final Notice serves the same purpose, but is available to more people and is presumably with them more often than a doctor, giving a more accurate timeline.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Quithilion wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 02:14 I think that VitalTech was well justified in keeping the Final Notice option in the original test group; however, due to the controversial nature of what happened during the test, I feel they should have done a split test in the Beta group. Not on who has guns, but those with the feature and those without! This would give them feed back on whether or not the feature was really necessary for the sales they wanted to make.
Of all the posts I've read on this book, this is the first time I saw this suggestion. Despite the fact that the focus group indicated they would want the feature, Vitaltech never determined what it was really worth to them. I have learned a few things about focus groups like it is very different if you ask someone "what would you pay for this?" and if they actually had the opportunity to buy it for that amount. More people will say they would buy a product in a focus group setting where they aren't actually committed to a purchase, than people who would actually follow through on the purchase.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I would love to say that I would never want to know when I'm going to die. But you can never really tell unless you are put into that situation. I also don't think it's a great idea for people to be given their own expiry dates. Humans are pretty emotional creatures - who is to say that this wouldn't cause total worldwide chaos? I'm glad it is never something I have to deal with in my lifetime - hopefully!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”