The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
sozburn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sozburn09.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Re: The Final Notice Option

Post by sozburn09 »

As a mother with young children I think I would want to know. Not only would if give me time to say goodbye but also to create a few more memories with them. This would also give me time to make sure things are in order for my family.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The idea of a Final Notice does not sound so scary to me. Maybe it should, but actually we are all aware that the end is somewhere in store for us and it will ultimately come. So, in a way, we have already been given a Final Notice, just a longer one. :) To cut a long story short, I think I'll wear that watch. I envy people who say they live every day as if it were their last day. I wish I could do the same. The watch may do the trick for me.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

I feel like I would want to know. I'm sure I wouldn't go out and kill anyone, but I would definitely want to say some goodbyes and maybe have a few more good experiences.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

sozburn09 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 10:19 As a mother with young children I think I would want to know. Not only would if give me time to say goodbye but also to create a few more memories with them. This would also give me time to make sure things are in order for my family.
I love the idea about using that time to create a few more memories before you die. But I can't help but think if those memories would be tainted by the fact time is almost up. Would you tell your family/friends or would you create those last few memories without them knowing?
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Is there a way to change your Final Notice? Like get healthy or have surgery or whatever? I mean I think having the notice is nice but, as is portrayed, people can and will do stupid things with that knowledge. So can we use the knowledge to change our fate if possible.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I would not want to know when I would die. It would cause me to spend all my days worrying and not living life to the fullest.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

The Final Notice was the aspect of the book that most intrigued me when I read the synopsis and as I read the book. The focus groups that Vitaltech utilized indicated they wanted that feature, which was a large part of the reason Dr. Patel and his team kept it. I don't think it was wrong to include it. People can decide for themselves what they want and anyone who didn't want to test it could have said no. Every user was or should have been well informed before choosing to be in the test group.

I think I would use the Final Notice feature but would take it more as a warning to go to the doctor ASAP and see if they could treat me rather than take it as an absolute death sentence.

It would have been less of a shock and destroyer of hope if the alert only went to Vitaltech and the user's doctor rather than to the user. The doctor could then intervene and add that human touch that was missing from Vitaltech's alert.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by mnmueller »

The idea of right or wrong here is a grey area. Is it wrong to provide an option to those interested, even knowing that the outcome could be polarizing? How much responsibility do you attribute to the providers of that option when people make decisions based on the results? Ultimately, gun stores are not held responsible for what people do with the guns they buy. The ultimate decision to use the feature rested with the individual, as did their reaction to the information. In that sense, I don't think it was wrong to provide the option.

I do feel that it was irresponsible of them. I don't believe that even a machine could be exactly accurate about impending death, or that there would be nothing that could be done. Sometimes unexplained things happen and people recover from something that should have killed them, as far as anyone can tell. Some people would take it to mean that they should give up hope and not look for alternatives. I think the notification should have been termed differently and should have been marketed as a flag that meant the person needed to talk with a doctor very soon. The doctor could then have a discussion with the patient about what was going on and what could be done about it.

Doctors could also use it as a way to prioritize those patients who may not be able to wait weeks for an appointment. At the very least, they could refer the patient to someone else. A whole new type of clinic could possibly be established to deal with these notifications and their outcomes.

In short, I think the way the Final Notice feature was labeled and how the information was handled were done poorly. If I did include a similar feature on a smart watch, it would not be marketed as a ticking clock counting down to your death.
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

Why anyone would want to deal with the knowledge of the exact time they're predicted to die is way beyond my understanding. It sounds like unnecessary workload and a makes room for early heart attack. Who knows, a person might actually die earlier than predicted From constant worrying, anxiety and heart attack.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

BookInspector300 wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 20:35 Why anyone would want to deal with the knowledge of the exact time they're predicted to die is way beyond my understanding. It sounds like unnecessary workload and a makes room for early heart attack. Who knows, a person might actually die earlier than predicted From constant worrying, anxiety and heart attack.
Like the last line of this comment. Hahaha it might really happen if you keep worrying.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Now that I have been reading the book, I believe I would use the option. I wouldn't want to leave my kids or family off guard. I do think that using it on the first test subjects with no other fail-safes was not smart at all. I believe that since they were using doctors to administer the devices than they could have at least set up and alert for the doctor to know that this notice has come to pass. The book is placed in our modern day and so knowing about Life Alert technology, why wasn't 911 automatically called? How could their device have that bug problem, if already worked out with technology like Life Alert. At the very least- that bug should have been worked out before the testing started and more consultation about the "Final Notice" upon patients receiving the device.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

I definitely would not want a Final Notice. The fear of death would be too much to handle, and knowing the specifics would most likely do more harm than good.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

It would be a great idea since it would enable one to make plans in that timeframe. Also it would make some people nervous and anxious as they tried to extend their life span.
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

The whole premise reminds me of a Black Mirror episode, but instead of knowing when you would die, you found out how long your relationship would last. It seemed the better relationships ignored the timeline, I wonder if the same idea applies here.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

The more I think about it, I wouldn't want to know for sure. However if there was a way to change things, that is completely different. If you could use the watch, find out you're going to die because you have an illness, then go to a doctor and maybe get cured, then it's worth it. That means the watch could help save your life. But if there is no changing anything, I wouldn't want to know.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”