The Green Valley Gun Show Field Trip

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: The Green Valley Gun Show Field Trip

Post by britt13 »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 10:17 Stan Mason’s father was a resident at the Senior Citizen home, Green Valley. One day, Stan’s 89-year-old father started shooting other residents in the dining room until he was shot himself by the security guard. Before this, Green Valley had taken a field trip to a nearby gun show. Stan’s father purchased two guns with extended magazines. What are your thoughts on Green Valley making such a trip to the gun show? How do you feel about the residents having access to firearms at the home?
I thought this was an odd choice of activity for the home to make. That part of the story seemed weird to me. My grandma and great aunt live in a home like that and they do things like book club, mind puzzles, movie nights, water aerobics, and gardening. I know that different places can be different but what would be the need for a gun in a retirement home? Even with the self-defense angle, it should be a safe place to be! Then agian, so should schools....
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

britt13 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:39
Christina Rose wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 10:17 Stan Mason’s father was a resident at the Senior Citizen home, Green Valley. One day, Stan’s 89-year-old father started shooting other residents in the dining room until he was shot himself by the security guard. Before this, Green Valley had taken a field trip to a nearby gun show. Stan’s father purchased two guns with extended magazines. What are your thoughts on Green Valley making such a trip to the gun show? How do you feel about the residents having access to firearms at the home?
I thought this was an odd choice of activity for the home to make. That part of the story seemed weird to me. My grandma and great aunt live in a home like that and they do things like book club, mind puzzles, movie nights, water aerobics, and gardening. I know that different places can be different but what would be the need for a gun in a retirement home? Even with the self-defense angle, it should be a safe place to be! Then agian, so should schools....
I thought it was odd, as well. I worked at a nursing home for years, and couldn't imagine this being an activity the facility actually sponsored. What residents do with family and friends outside of the facility is one thing, but for the home to provide transportation and everything to an event such as a gun show is irresponsible (and unlikely). I also don't see the need to be armed as a resident within a facility. There is more potential harm than good in that scenario.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I think the organized field trip to the gun show was a bad idea as a thing for the facility to do, but it was a good idea for the book. It got me thinking about what rights people do or do not give up in living in a setting like that and how difficult it would be to monitor who has guns and who doesn't depending on the type of facility.

Watching older members of my family deciding when to give up driving their cars and knowing when it is not safe anymore and reading this book is making me think about whether a similar set of conversations occurs with gun owners about when they are no longer able to safely and responsibly own a gun.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

dtb wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 09:36 I think the organized field trip to the gun show was a bad idea as a thing for the facility to do, but it was a good idea for the book. It got me thinking about what rights people do or do not give up in living in a setting like that and how difficult it would be to monitor who has guns and who doesn't depending on the type of facility.

Watching older members of my family deciding when to give up driving their cars and knowing when it is not safe anymore and reading this book is making me think about whether a similar set of conversations occurs with gun owners about when they are no longer able to safely and responsibly own a gun.
Residents in facilities such as the one discussed in the book really do forfeit some of their independence when moving it. Even in the best of situations, this can't be helped. I agree that it would be difficult to monitor who has guns, even with the most observant of staff members. There typically are not metal-detectors, so a resident would have to be either obvious or careless for an employee to know about any guns.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I don't understand why the home authority thought that seniors might need guns to defend themselves, specially when they were being taken care of in the home itself. Couldn't an armed guard appointed by the authorities suffice? When the residents are senior and therefore are very likely to have physical issues such as decreased sight or hearing, not to mention mental and behavioural issues, why would one want to put such a dangerous thing like a gun in their hands? Doesn't it reflect negligence and thoughtlessness on the home authority's part?
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

There are so many questions that arise from that incident. The senior citizens home should have never taken the residents to the gun show. I'd think they would provide them with a calming experience like a trip to the fair. Their failure to keep track of what the senior citizens brought back with them, especially the guns, exposes a loophole that turned detrimental to the residents and the home.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Good question: and I'm still on the fence about this scenario. What more could anyone have expected when you take (unstable) senior citizens shopping for guns? At the same time, how were stable senior citizens able to protect themselves without being armed? It just seems like a no win situation.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by bobbiebryner »

I don't think we can group all senior citizens when making a decision on whether they should be allowed to own guns. On one hand, I know several senior citizens that still enjoy the sport of hunting. These seniors are active, healthy, and mentally fit. Those that have need for assisted living should be evaluated for their fitness and mental health. I believe that the assisted living facilities should be allowed to have a "no weapons" policy to protect their residents. My grandmother, for example, was on suicide watch in the nursing home. She was not allowed shoelaces, spoons, or even straws. If a resident in this facility would have had a weapon, this could have been a very dangerous situation. As for the choice of this fictional facility in the story, I do not believe this is a traditional field trip for these sorts of facilities. It would be more likely that a family member would choose to take a family member to one of these events. An event like this would be a huge liability concern because of the challenge of keeping track of the residents. Even if a family member would take a person to such an event, the facility would be able to determine whether to allow the firearm on the premises.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I think that it was very irresponsible for the home to take the patients to the gun show. Many people in retirement/nursing homes deal with confusion so why would you want to add a gun into the equation?
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I don't understand why the home would take its residents on a trip there. Why in the world would they have a need for guns when they are under permanent care in a nursing facility?
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I was thinking that it didn't make sense for a retirement home to allow such a field trip.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think doing a field trip is one thing. Those in nursing homes get restless always being inside a home and may not even have the family to come and take them somewhere for the day. I don't think it was necessarily the best type of field trip, but it was something to get them out of the home. However, there is really no need for the residents of a home to carry a gun, to have a gun, or any weapons. I think back to my own family members who have been homes. There are a lot of people with dementia, people who become combative. It wouldn't be safe for someone to have a weapon in there.
Mac :techie-reference:
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think taking the field trip was a rather odd thing to do with senior citizens. Doing an outdoor type show, a home and garden show, something like that I could see, but a gun show seems so random to take senior citizens to go and do. When I'm older, I'd rather go see the circus than go to a gun show. I am completely against elderly people having guns inside a nursing home. That wouldn't be safe on so many levels. There are going to be residents who are not with it, but could gain access to the gun and do a lot of harm. As health deteriorates, having a gun within reach is not good for anyone involved.
Mac :techie-reference:
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

It seems like if they are living in an assisted living home then they can’t live independently on their own they shouldn’t have access to guns. certainly not a field trip to a gun show. It would seem like the. Ursing bome would have a policy against guns for residents
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

jessinikkip wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:16 With the fact that the book emphasizes that discount for all AARP members and the NRA is really pushing guns on seniors, it didn't surprise me like I'd expected it to. What did surprise me about it was that they were allowed to keep their guns and ammo with them and that no one recorded who bought something that day. I was surprised the center hadn't written down like "Okay, this person bought these two and this much ammo. This person bought this." Just so they'd have an idea who was armed...
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, recording this type of information would be in direct violation of gun ownership rights in most states.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”