Did your views on guns change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Did your views on guns change?

Post by sepicatt »

My views on gun control remain what they were prior to reading this book. But like others I think technology and access are huge issues esp bc they are growing faster then we can control or even see potential consequences for. For example, even the fact that we can genetically test for certain diseases. There are so many consequences for that even down to possible "pre-existing condition" clauses from insurance companies if someone carries a gene.
Simpc12
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Simpc12 »

My views on guns have not changed. Laws need to be in place in order to protect people from irresponsible people. I do realize if someone is that determined they will get a gun regardless of the laws, but feel there could be some more safe guards put into place.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

In my reading thus far my views on gun control haven't changed.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Gun Control is the most important issue right now. According to my opinion, not everyone should have guns. What happens If a mentally unstable kid or man gets a gun and kills someone? My views on gun control haven't changed.
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

I have yet to read this book, but am interested in doing so now that I have read this post. I have specific views on guns and would be curious to what my views would be after reading this book. I doubt I would change my mind in how I feel about them, but would like to see what the book could do to alter that.
writtenbetweenthelin
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by writtenbetweenthelin »

Eventough the book is giving some more insight about guns,my view didn'the really change. I think we should be careful whom we allow to carry a gun. Im many countrys people bead a licence to be allowed to own weapons. This saves many peoples lives!
calebchuks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by calebchuks »

Yep! My iwn view about "Guns" has'nt changed either. Its a tool that should be used by those licensed to. I wonder how it would be if everyone in this world had a gun!!. :?
Krystel96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Krystel96 »

I share you opinion. Me i am un ivory coast and a lot of people carry a gun without a licence . And the government don’t do anything to control this.
Sorry for the faults i don’t speak very well english ne cause in my country we speak. french
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

For me, I think about why we have guns and weapons in the first place. They are supposedly for protection against the 'bad guys," but if there are none of the one, then there'll be none of the other. But it can't happen now, because society and modernization cannot stop a person's heart from craving evil and even if we take away the guns, they'll just find something else. So it's hard to find a real workable solution, after all, even those who ought to be in charge of safety and security sometimes work hand in hand with the people wreaking havoc all around. Nevertheless, the more accessible guns are, the more potential damage can result. It may end up not being for the greater good. I certainly look forward to the time when mankind will finally "beat their swords (or guns) into plowshares...and not learn way anymore."
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

The book did not cause me to change my views on guns- I was already pro-gun control. Nor did it alter my stance on innovation- even in the science community right now there is the constant debate on if we should even though we can, and what limits must be put in place to safeguard us against ourselves.
But the book did cause me to think deeply about society, in particular, the elderly population. How does their ageing affect them? What could have been different to prevent a society where our predecessors fail to obtain a sense of security?
Final Notice made me think and slightly alter my views on issues like those mentioned above.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I don't see my opinions changed much by this story. Stricter reviews of people buying guns and training requirements may stop a few deaths. However, most deaths come from friends and family or from criminal and gang behavior. Cities with the strictest requirements have the most criminal and gang killings. The criminals will get guns and use them. If they know the people around them are defenseless they tend to kill more easily and more often. If a person wants to kill their spouse or sibling they will find a way to do it with or without a gun.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

My views on guns did not change. The book shows how each side is entrenched in their views. The left places the blame on the gun and believes that banning or regulating guns will make us safer. Is that true? What about Chicago? On the other hand, the right says that the gun is an inanimate object and cannot do anything on its own. People who use guns need to be responsible for their actions. These deeply held views, on both sides, will be difficult to change.
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

I've always believed everyone should have a chance to protect himself from harm or an assailant. However, my views have slightly changed because of the incidences present in the book (like the shooting in the elderly home). The shooting was only possible because the elderly man had easy legal access to a firearm.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

My views remained the same. Its too easy to get a gun in America.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

My ideas on guns didn't change, but ita always good to get different points of views on things to better understand or solidify our choices.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”