Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
gunnyswife
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnyswife.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by gunnyswife »

I wrote a review for this one, and I'll give a quick overview. I loved the pacing and how it made one think on topics that really aren't discussed. I disliked all the political stuff. I recommend this one for the thinkers and those wanting to know more about the issues presented in this book. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars despite my dislike of the politics because it's just that good.
It's amazing to see the world through the eyes of children. It's more fun to read with them, too.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I very much dislike this book. I am going to feel horrible when I write my review. I expected to love it, it sounded like an amazing concept. I found very little that I thought redeemed the things I disliked about it, and it is not like it is because I am pro-gun. I hate guns. I am dreading writing my review because I never want to hurt an authors feelings and I am thankful I was able to read their book for free, but I feel that it is in everyone's best interest to be honest in your reviews. I read through some of what people were saying on this feed and it sounds like many did enjoy the book. That just goes to show that everyone enjoys different things, and that is part of why I love this site!
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I read the sample because the concept of knowing when you were going to die and what you would do intrigued me. However, there is nothing in the sample that related to this. Instead, it seemed to be more of a political statement regarding guns and the NRA. Maybe I am reading too much into it or just need to delve into the book more, but I haven't decided if I am going to read the book or not. I appreciate all of the reviews on the forum, as they are extremely helpful in deciding what goes on my Currently Reading shelf next!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Honestly, I find the topic of gun control an extremely depressing one. Some of my family is in high school, so while I try to stay informed, I'm not too eager to jump into a book that deals with themes like that, just for my own peace of mind. I appreciate the discussion it's sparking, though!
Genna H
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genna-h.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Genna H »

I thought this was a really good read. I didn't agree with everything the author had to say, but where's the fun in reading books that always align with your preconceived ideas? I ended up giving the book a 3/4 because it was SO polarizing with its politics and there were some grammar issues. I absolutely LOVED the idea of the VT2 because it does open up a lot of questions that you have to really dig deep on...
The only question I have is, what does Mrs. Martinez wife do for a living!? I'm married to a cop and I would have to have a pretty awesome job to be able to afford to live in the same neighborhood as the Fullers!
Workingfromhome2
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Workingfromhome2 »

I couldn’t finger out lots of his words . It’s ok book for me but I will not ready any more somthing like his .
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I enjoyed this book. I don't like guns, other than a BB gun, but have no problem with people going through the proper channels and getting one. I do think we need to be safe with guns while at the same time not keep people from having them. I think the book showed how things could happen if everyone has a gun and goes off half cocked with the scene at the NRA rally. No one owning a gun is a problem as well since criminals don't follow the law already so they wouldn't follow this one. I didn't like the school shootings that went on but they do show insight into today's society. Overall I would recommend this book to people on either side of the fence on gun laws. It was very well written.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I found the book to be an overall a masterpiece considering it's intent. I especially appreciated the depth of the characters lives and emotions. I do not often come across many Middle-Eastern folks during my regular day, so I do not often get to garner their opinion on the things happening to them. This book was revolutionary in bringing about honest understandings during a highly charged time. The white American perspectives showing time to hear out another's history and then to have compassion for them is genuine, and a much-needed example. These were my favorite parts of the book.

I did not like the story being told without a character from the NRA giving an insider look. Although I see the intention being to bring light to their callousness, the story may be better received by nay-sayers if there was more balance in the sharing of all perspective- including the NRA. If I didn't see all of the real-life ads and news reports myself, I would believe this book was just bashing the NRA. That being said, I give the book an overall rating of 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend the book to all mature readers. A definite must-read.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
mbray22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by mbray22 »

Started reading the first few pages of this and I had to put the book down ...I couldn't get into it for the life of me.
halismom1016
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halismom1016.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by halismom1016 »

I read the sample and for me it was somewhat interesting for me, however it didn't grab my attention all that well.
fatemeh133
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatemeh133.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by fatemeh133 »

I am starting to read it. The part about the doctor's coming up with a system to tell time of death was what got me started on the book. It hasn't been bad so far, but I am not sure I will finish it. I'll come back and tell you how it goes.
TESLAPOLO
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TESLAPOLO »

I felt there were two books wrapped in one. I really enjoyed portions of the storyline, and feel that the premise was unique. Responding to the Author's initial intent (Forward), of highlighting the Seniors and guns, I liked the concept and was intrigued by the concept of wearing a countdown clock of sorts. Characters were believable, had some really great lines and I enjoyed their interaction.

Where this one fell down on me- I was bored by the way some of the ballistics and gun permitting was presented; it was a stream of consciousness data dump. In this instance, less would be more. I'm a liberal gun enthusiast. I got the feeling the author was hoping to send a message to gun enthusiasts, however, I feel MORE avid gun owner would shy away from this book because it seems to be from the liberal perspective. There was perspective about FOX and a few other current event politics that would make the target audience shy away.

Two suggestions for the Author to achieve the goal presented in the forward -

1) Remove the moral to the story feel of converting Gun enthusiast and ballistics, permitting factoids. The main storyline is solid and intriguing. An epilogue could be added to get the author's desired political point across.
or
2) Start with characters that are AVID gun owners and offer subtle positive references to fox, trump enthusiasts, then reform the characters to turn in their guns. Again, factoids should be less, not more.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

lori_parker2003 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 09:26 Had trouble getting through the few pages they give to check out the book. Found it slow and I am a pro-gun person so this biased my view I think. Probably will not buy the book to read in full.
I don't like the books that are slow paced and I found this exactly what I didn't want it to be, Slow. Apart from that, the book was good.
-R
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I have to say what i like most about final notice is the struggle between impending morality and also gun violence throughout the story. I guess you could say it helps to understand basic human nature, to be torn between light and darkness. I couldn't find any thing wrong but that's just my personal opinion. I would really like to recommend this book to anybody with a love for action and drama
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I adore the whole concept of the book entwined in thrill and fantasy...while I think its very creative of the doctors to invent such a device that estimates one's life span, I don't believe its accurate enough in the event that the device was made for a patient on the basis of sickness and old age. So in the end this would lead people to worry unnecessarily (and raise their blood pressure, killing them even faster lol!) since science is not magic (even though it has proven itself to some extent) but is situated on a trial and error platform. I believe average citizens should have access to guns on the basis of a psychological evaluation and criminal record.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”