Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

It was a fun read, great concept, and I liked that they paired it with a psychological thriller concept. I have definitely recommended it! 3 of 4 stars.
Van F
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Van F »

Hi fellow OBC members: Just a quick weigh-in to thank all of you for your comments, criticism and praise. For you Reviewers, thanks, too, for identifying errors which are being captured in a new version of the Kindle edition and a reprint of the paperback. I apologize if the errors infringed on your enjoyment. Many of your comments have already helped me as I write the sequel.

If you have any questions that you'd like to ask me, you can reply to this comment and I will do my best to answer them. :tiphat:
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

The premise of Final Notice is intriguing and, to be honest, the reason I decided to read it. The idea of a device that warns users of their impending death, and how they would react to it, would make a great story. Unfortunately the political commentary keeps getting in the way. I was prepared for the author’s stand on guns and the NRA after reading the author’s note. However, there are a multitude of literary means to accomplish that goal within the story. Instead the reader jumps out of the story for pages of political commentary that diverts the reader’s attention from the story. And the author’s poorly veiled allusions to actual people was almost childish (for example, referring to Breitbart as BrightFahrt).
nanzirihadijjahyasin
Currently Reading: Heartache - Bad Boy Vibes
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanzirihadijjahyasin.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by nanzirihadijjahyasin »

I came across this book yesterday, I was attracted by the title so I read the official review to learn what it is all about. I find it interesting to have a machine that can predict your future days. I look forward to reading this book and will return to discuss more.
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

I read the sample of Final Notice and found the book a bit slow for me. I would like to read the complete novel and hope it will give me more insight than the sample version.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

This is one of those books I feel like reading with a red pen in hand, wishing I could send the corrected copy back to the author. If you want to publish a best-seller, pay someone to edit it for you! Even if I could ignore all the glaring mistakes, I thought this book was poorly written. There are hundreds of examples of great political satire. This is not one of them.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

jessinikkip wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:23 I am about 25% of the way through the novel right now, having almost immediately chosen to download it after reading what it was about. The part that I liked the most is the interaction of Vince and Trudi. They very much are just a normal couple going about their day in this crazy world of this novel, wondering who is right. The descriptions of people just really brings the characters to light for me. What's rubbing me wrong though is that the NRA is involved in this whole "Arm the Seniors" campaign to the point even assisted living places are taking their residents, and then NOT keeping up with who buys anything. It's like they want their senior residents to start shooting up the place.
I agree with your assessment of Vince and Trudi. I felt like the author really got deeply into the though process over whether or not a person should get a gun and used them as a way to weigh all the pros and cons.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

drunyan wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 02:12 I agree. I can see senior citizens purchasing guns for protection. I wondered at one point whether the author had that as his agenda#
I had the same thought when reading this book!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I read the sample and it sounds like it's at least a conversation starter. I don't know if I will finish it. While I do believe in the right to bare arms, I do believe we need to have a discussion on some things and I think this book is doing a good job to keep that at the focus and it's such a perfect time to have this discussion with everything in the news right now.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I enjoyed reading the book though I really don't subscribe to the author's opinion on guns. However, I recommend it, it's a good book.
Lovestoreadb00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovestoreadb00ks.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Lovestoreadb00ks »

I have not yet read this book, but it is on my bookshelf. It will be an interesting read.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

Tbunde5 wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:27 Unfortunately the political commentary keeps getting in the way.
That's the main reason I decided to not read this book. I get enough politics on the news and late-night talk shows. Reading is something I do to relax, not get more stressed out about the world we live in. But, that's just me. I'm happy for the author, who has had some positive feedback, and I'm happy for the people who have enjoyed reading the book. It's not for me, but that's okay.
roamnoor
Currently Reading: God? Very Probably
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roamnoor.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by roamnoor »

An interesting and captivating. Van Fleisher managed to keep me hooked to reading the book and finding out what each character did after receiving the final notice.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I haven't read the book as yet but based on the Topic and the discussions, it sounds like an interesting book which I will definitely read in the near future. However, I believe that whatever we do in this life, there should be some balance. There should be systems put in place that will determine the persons suitable to possess guns. To leave citizens without gun protection is cruel based on the many other means and methods that someone could use to harm or kill another person. If this pattern should be followed, then knives, ice picks, scissors etc. should be banned also.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

bookreviewer2016 wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 00:45
Tbunde5 wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:27 Unfortunately the political commentary keeps getting in the way.
That's the main reason I decided to not read this book. I get enough politics on the news and late-night talk shows. Reading is something I do to relax, not get more stressed out about the world we live in. But, that's just me. I'm happy for the author, who has had some positive feedback, and I'm happy for the people who have enjoyed reading the book. It's not for me, but that's okay.
My thoughts exactly. I was expecting more thrills than political discourse, based on the synopsis, but c'est la vie. Not for me, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who'll like it more than I did. :)

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”