Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Tsundoku_diva
Currently Reading: Raising Catholic Children
Bookshelf Size: 1074

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Tsundoku_diva »

I have only read a quick synopsis of it online and this is quite a catchy one.
I'm excited to read this one as I might have a lot to say after. Hehe!
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I haven't finished the Book yet but I definitely like what I've read so far. Looking at it from a senior citizen's point of view is definitely different then the way I would normally think of things. It makes me consider what I might do if I were in that kind of situation.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
Melanie70
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Melanie70 »

I think that its so pain staking reality,that our society is so cold,its sad that the writter can even come up with the book,what is the writter really going thru in their own life.yes its a readable book i enjoyed it for the most part. :roll2:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

stacie k wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 22:00
One of the aspects I enjoyed most about this story was how the author wove his message into the narrative of Vince and Trudi’s lives. He illustrated the progression of their view of guns, from disinterest to curiosity due to the current events in the world. He utilized Vince and Trudi’s circumstances to illustrate how easily one can be affected by fear and anger.
Excellent point. In some situations we saw what led the characters to the actions they took and to their change in thought processes. Other characters acted in a way that still did not make sense to me. Being treated rudely by a cashier does not typically drive one to murder. Can any of us get through an entire day without someone being rude? It seemed like a very rash response. With Trudy and Vince, we saw the events that changed their thinking, we got to walk with them as they explored different options. Their thoughts were open to us. That was very enjoyable and eye opening. It made it clear to the reader why people make decisions that don't always seem like the best options from an outsider's point of view.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

This book is in my "want to read list". It seems interesting. I love a good thriller!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I rate it full marks. I would definitely recommend it to as many people as I can. I loved the entire book. There is nothing in it I would change. The portrayal is simply mesmerizing. We need more books like this.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I've finished the book - and while I like the idea of it, it was too all over the place in writing style and subject matter for me. It tried to cover too many issues and imo, ended up not covering any of them well. Disappointed, I wanted to really like this book based on the summary.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

stacie k wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 22:00 One of the aspects I enjoyed most about this story was how the author wove his message into the narrative of Vince and Trudi’s lives. He illustrated the progression of their view of guns, from disinterest to curiosity due to the current events in the world. He utilized Vince and Trudi’s circumstances to illustrate how easily one can be affected by fear and anger. In spite of the serious nature of the subject matter, Van Fleisher was able to lighten the mood with some humor throughout the story. For example, the most memorable and entertaining part of the story to me was when Trudi and her friend Rasha attended the NRA event with a bold and daring plan.
I wholeheartedly agree! I finished reading this maybe an hour ago, and will write my "official" review tomorrow. But to preface my feelings, I thought it was such a clever device and I loved that they were seniors; too many books feature the young or middle-aged, so it was very refreshing. I especially loved how in-love Vince and Trudi still were and how they flirted with each other!

As to the actual story -- I LOVED the concept of a watch predicting when the wearer would die, though I would definitely NOT want one. I also loved the attention paid to prejudice, both racial and age. I don't want to include any spoilers, but I will also add that I too loved the clever ending; brilliant!

As you'll see when my review is posted, I'm giving it 3/4 stars, due to the multiple grammatical issues, but the story itself is definitely worth 4/4.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

The book is okay for a casual read. The best part about the book is it raises some relevant issues gun control, role of NRA, and the existential concept of death and freewill . However the narrative is not very gripping and at times predictable too.
RachelP1998
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelp1998.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by RachelP1998 »

I've only read the first few chapter and I am finding it a bit slow. Does it pick up? I am interested in the charter Vince but the story I'm not finding as intriguing as I first thought.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
L-Bro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-bro.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by L-Bro »

Over all this book was entertaining but had a few chapters that did not keep my attention enough to make me continue the book, I did like learning about the many people who have encountered the products offered in the book and think that those who carry a gun should carry carefully and store carefully to maintain the ability to carry, I believe in the rite to bear arms and know if people uphold legal standards while ill of health they should retain that rite and also knowing while I was ill with Cancer I refrained from using my weapons to victimize a person ('s) when thinking I was going to die, the ability to do commit an act that causes permanent damage so is strictly up to the person ('s) who pull the trigger.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I personally loved the book. I love the dystopian delineation in the book. It is definitely a 4 out of 4.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 07:30 The book is okay for a casual read. The best part about the book is it raises some relevant issues gun control, role of NRA, and the existential concept of death and freewill . However the narrative is not very gripping and at times predictable too.
Were you surprised by the scene at the NRA event. Wondering if this is included in your reference to predictability. I'm not always great at seeing how a story will end, even when I get to the end and realize how obvious it should have been but I really couldn't figure out what was going to happen. I found it shocking and wonderful although a bit unrealistic and risky.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I didn’t get past reading the sample. I don’t particularly agree with the stance on guns that is obvious even within the first several pages that I read, and I was irritated pretty much right off the bat. Even besides that, the pages I read didn’t really make me feel the need to continue with the book.
nyabuto lilian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nyabuto lilian »

I read the book and it was so amazing.I do agree with the author that whatever he has talked about in the book not forgetting that the issue of gun control is something that should be addressed well to the public.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”