Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Misael Carlos »

I really want to review this novel; however, this is not available in my country. I hope it will be, someday, though.
Haasiette_01
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Haasiette_01 »

I loved the book! It shows how the unknown in our everyday lives is related to the Final Notice and how the choices we make will determine the outcome. The outcome is that many of us do not have guns in our lives but if we are able to obtain them easily such as with a Senior BOGO then most likely the choice will be made to get the bargain as we all like to achieve those in our lives. Easy access makes it easy to make the choice to buy a gun but if they were harder to obtain it could deter people from getting them and therefore save several lives in the process.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by zilizopita1998 »

I have been encouraged to read this book very soon. This is after reading several well written official reviews from this forum. I really love to read books revolving around guns. Your replies here have also deepened my curiosity and so I have been motivated to read it.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I agree with quite a few others that I probably wouldn't recommend the book. It's a really slow piece and there's not enough intrigue behind it
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This book was a lot different than I thought. I assumed it would be only about the final notice. But this book tackles a lot of issues that are relevant right now. Racial and age discrimination, the NRA, the right to bear arms are all discussed in a thought-provoking manner. Was it all presented in an unbiased manner? No. But it forces you to start the conversations which is what I liked best about this book.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

Izesicle wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:29 I liked the sample. I think that the premise is interesting and invites thought.
The previous comment made me want to finish reading the book. I really like The Handmaid's Tale.
What did you like about the sample? I honestly did not even read it because I just started reading the book. Did you end up deciding to read it?
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Mouricia25 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:05 I am still reading the book, however, I am not so fond of it. I am not pro-gun and some things keep rubbing me the wrong way.
That is totally understandable, I am anti-gun and things still rubbed me the wrong way! What did you find most annoying? Also, I am always curious what people mean exactly when they say they are “pro-gun” because it seems to mean different things to different people.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

jessinikkip wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:23 I am about 25% of the way through the novel right now, having almost immediately chosen to download it after reading what it was about. The part that I liked the most is the interaction of Vince and Trudi. They very much are just a normal couple going about their day in this crazy world of this novel, wondering who is right. The descriptions of people just really brings the characters to light for me. What's rubbing me wrong though is that the NRA is involved in this whole "Arm the Seniors" campaign to the point even assisted living places are taking their residents, and then NOT keeping up with who buys anything. It's like they want their senior residents to start shooting up the place.
The only parts I really enjoyed fully of the book were those with Vince and Trudi. You are right, it felt so real. I am not as old as they are by any means, but a lot of their day to day stuff is so similar to my husband and I. I thought he did a very good job developing those characters. Have you finished the book now? If so what are your thoughts now?
britt13

Post by britt13 »

k2rugman wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:26 The topic of this book seems to come at an interesting time. The debate for guns vs no guns is a hot one. I might have to read this and see where it stands.
Did you end up reading it? The debate is for sure a big one, especially right now in this current climate in the United States. It feels just as “hot” in the book. That is something I worry will hurt the book in the future, it seems like it so clearly will date itself, but I guess time will tell!
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Smaug wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:56 I am currently reading the book and so far I find it very interesting. What struck me most at the beginning was the Fox interview where the NRA rep couldn't answer basic questions about statistics and just brushed off the seriousness of those things. Now, I'm not a fan of Fox, so I'm a bit biased, but I thought it was a good representation of a lot of people (not just Fox) and their attitudes toward important issues (not just gun control). I found it very real and very infuriating. So good job with the writing! :wink2:
I do not like Fox either so I am also biased. Let's face it though, the author is super biased. The thing is, I am not sure that really matters when it comes to fact. This administration has tried to yell fake news at anything they do not like (and yes I know that Fox is not the only ones who spew fake news but they seem to be the only ones not under fire for it). Fact is fact though, just because it does not fit with your narrative does not make it not fact. All of that to say, I agree with you, I think he captured this element really well!
britt13

Post by britt13 »

azerikaj wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 15:14 Makes me sad to think that so many people may have cold-blooded murders on their bucket lists...not that I'm totally immune to the thought. I watch Mafia dramas all the time...still.
Also, some of the time reading this, I felt like I was in an Apple commercial. I get that he was trying to show ordinary details but I felt it veered close to product-placement at times.
That is something that upset me about the book. These seem like totally ordinary people, I found it hard to believe that so many would have the urge to go killing people. Also, THANK YOU!!! I have been saying it feels like Apple paid him to write about their products. It was so over the top, even more so than most product placement in movies and such.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

mamalui wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 16:45 I saw the email and read a few reviews. I have to be honest when I say that I don't like guns and I am not looking forward to owning a gun. And the concept of knowing when a person is going to die also doesn't sit well with me. But perhaps I will give the book a try once I finish the one I am currently reading.
Did you decide to give it a read? Also what do you mean by you are not looking forward to owning a gun? Just curious :D
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Libs_Books wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 15:38 I've just finished reading the book. I really wanted to love it because, as far as I'm concerned, the writer's heart is in absolutely the right place on all the topics mentioned in this book. However, the writing style is a bit pedestrian. I agree with a comment made above that the relationship between Vince and Trudy (not forgetting Miles!) is genuinely touching, but the writer explains and elaborates everything - there's nothing left for the reader today. And pretty much everybody in the book talks to each other in the same way.

I found the basic idea of the watch implausible, but I liked the way that the tech company people were seen as honest and genuinely concerned about what might be happening with their product.

In the end, I'm glad I stuck with the book - it starts to get genuinely gripping towards the end, and I found the finish rewarding (not sure if spoilers are allowed here, so I won't go into details.

Rating? Hmmm... tough one. If I could give it 2.5 out of 4 stars, I would. I need more time to think.
I totally agree with the sentiment of “I wanted to love it”, I had such high hopes. I was quite disappointed by what I viewed as pretty weak writing. Every once in a while it felt like I was reading a piece from a different author because it got really engaging but then it would drop off again. Also, I wish we could do half stars!
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

I loved this book. I am a public school teacher and a mother of school children, but also a gun owner and a policeman's daughter, and so gun control is something I think about. This book made me think more. And it was entertaining, to boot.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. "~Groucho Marx
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

britt13 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 20:00
azerikaj wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 15:14
That is something that upset me about the book. These seem like totally ordinary people, I found it hard to believe that so many would have the urge to go killing people. Also, THANK YOU!!! I have been saying it feels like Apple paid him to write about their products. It was so over the top, even more so than most product placement in movies and such.
You are welcome... for the record, my bucket list is more like "See Hamilton...Go to tahiti," although, if pressed,I could have a hitlist. Not sure it would be a priority, though.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”