Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
rusalka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by rusalka »

I'm still only at the beginning of the book, but there's a bit of a slow start to it. I'm giving it at least 50 pages to get me really interested, although the sample I've read beforehand didn't have me too hopeful. I've already spotted a couple of grammar mistakes, which doesn't look too good on 'book of the month'.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It didn't move at a super fast pace, nor was it too slow. I think the author was very clear on his purpose of the story and I think he did a good job at getting his point across.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

This book is an emotional roller coaster. The book is on the surface about a doctor who creates a watch that monitors a person's health and alters them if they are soon going to die. However, the social messages in this book go way beyond the watch. This book is about corrupt politicians, the media and "fake news", and definitely portrays the NRA as a vile and evil entity. I like the fact that the book really makes you think about gun control laws but the book is really slow at some points and seems to drag on in parts unnecessarily.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

azerikaj wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 15:14 Makes me sad to think that so many people may have cold-blooded murders on their bucket lists...not that I'm totally immune to the thought. I watch Mafia dramas all the time...still.
Also, some of the time reading this, I felt like I was in an Apple commercial. I get that he was trying to show ordinary details but I felt it veered close to product-placement at times.
So funny bc now that I think about it, I can totally see Apple coming up with some feature like this. I don't own an Apple watch but with Fitbit and all the others I am sure Apple would get involved. I mean, I know people now who look at their sleep patterns based on what their Fitbit records. But I was so concentrated on some of the political issues I guess I kinda just pushed the product placement aside as I read. I can totally see your point.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

It is a very enjoyable book and I give it 3/4 stars. I thought it could really use a good editor. In terms of the content, it was very suspenseful and interesting. There was a lot of discussion about the law and guns but Fleisher did a great job of presenting it. He is clearly concerned about all people and their safety and how they are treated by others. That was my favorite thing about the book. My least favorite thing was that occasionally the book almost sounded like a handbook on gun safety. I got a little bored with Vince and Trudi's conversations. The book ended really well. I didn't expect what happened and thought it was cleverly written. Very good book.
Afoaayoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Afoaayoe »

This book is actually a reality and what is going on. but it is unfortunately that most of our doctors here in "Nigeria" are bias in this regard. They are heartless and do not give true facts concerning their patients even if they have an hour to live. I recommend this book to doctors in Africa and I give it 4 out of 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Afoaayoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Afoaayoe »

Farmgurl1 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 17:22 This book is an emotional roller coaster. The book is on the surface about a doctor who creates a watch that monitors a person's health and alters them if they are soon going to die. However, the social messages in this book go way beyond the watch. This book is about corrupt politicians, the media and "fake news", and definitely portrays the NRA as a vile and evil entity. I like the fact that the book really makes you think about gun control laws but the book is really slow at some points and seems to drag on in parts unnecessarily.
This book is actually a reality and what is going on. but it is unfortunately that most of our doctors here in "Nigeria" are bias in this regard. They are heartless and do not give true facts concerning their patients even if they have an hour to live. I recommend this book to doctors in Africa and I give it 4 out of 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I give it a 3 out of 4 stars. I think it's a good book. I felt like there was an overall story arc missing, but what held the book together was the final notice on the watch. There are a lot of controversial topics covered, and I feel like it could spark a good bit of discussion on these matters. I think that's very important, and I would definitely recommend it to others!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I read the sample and I immediately fell in love with the book. Personally I love such themes in novels and movies. I'll definitely read the book.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Farmgurl1 wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 17:22 This book is an emotional roller coaster. The book is on the surface about a doctor who creates a watch that monitors a person's health and alters them if they are soon going to die. However, the social messages in this book go way beyond the watch. This book is about corrupt politicians, the media and "fake news", and definitely portrays the NRA as a vile and evil entity. I like the fact that the book really makes you think about gun control laws but the book is really slow at some points and seems to drag on in parts unnecessarily.
I thought the book moved quickly at most points but when Vince and Trudi started discussing the pros and cons and Vince asked a lot of questions about purchasing guns and using guns, it felt like a handbook on gun safety. A lot happened in what I consider to be a pretty short book.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 16:52
Christina Rose wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 01:07
cristinaro wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 06:29 What I like most about Van Fleisher's novel is the challenging topics it addresses. Gun ownership with its many pros and cons is one of them and the other would be the threat and implications of death foretelling. I have read the begging of the story and Vince's realistic description as well as the authenticity of the domestic scenes between Vince and Trudi made a good impression on me. I have every intention of continuing to read the novel because it triggers my curiosity to see how different people react to the knowledge of their upcoming death.
I agree that the author wisely chose challenging and controversial topics to discuss in his novel. Even outside of the two main topics, the author addresses various forms of discrimination - another hot topic in this day and age.
You're perfectly right about that. You'd think that living in the 21st century would be enough to make people more open-minded and ready to accept difference, yet reality proves us wrong time and again. More needs to be done for people to rule out prejudice and misconceptions.
You couldn’t be more right about that. Sometimes, I think we’re going backwards, instead of forward.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I read the sample. The concept seems interesting, but the writing style doesn't appeal to me. I won't be reading any more of the book, but I hope other people enjoy it.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

I gave it three out of four, also. Sometimes, I thought the style was...preachy or something. A few too many characters, too.
ssmithy
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssmithy.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ssmithy »

I'm still reading the book but I've found it very thought-provoking and relevant to our political environment in the U.S. I have read through the Florida story and with each story my opinion on gun law changes. I think the author does a great job showcasing three different topics (gun law, technological advances, and mistreatment of the elderly) without being over-bearing. Because the author chose to have the story's main character be a curious tech-savvy older man we are able to be curious with him and see his point of view. So far it's a great book.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I haven't read the book but it should be a good takeoff point for discussing the liberty of access to handheld weapons. Communities in the world known to wield weapons while going about their business are both warily respectful of each other and hardly solve their problems without a fight. Think of any nation where weapons are common and you see a lot of underlying societal issues and a lack of respect for rule of law.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”