Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by k2rugman »

The topic of this book seems to come at an interesting time. The debate for guns vs no guns is a hot one. I might have to read this and see where it stands.
Smaug
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smaug.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Smaug »

I am currently reading the book and so far I find it very interesting. What struck me most at the beginning was the Fox interview where the NRA rep couldn't answer basic questions about statistics and just brushed off the seriousness of those things. Now, I'm not a fan of Fox, so I'm a bit biased, but I thought it was a good representation of a lot of people (not just Fox) and their attitudes toward important issues (not just gun control). I found it very real and very infuriating. So good job with the writing! :wink2:
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

lori_parker2003 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 09:26 Had trouble getting through the few pages they give to check out the book. Found it slow and I am a pro-gun person so this biased my view I think. Probably will not buy the book to read in full.
I would advise you to read the book. For me, i think its interesting and you should give it a tryout. Maybe the part given wasn't fascinating but if you're truly a pro-gun person as you said, I would advice you to check it out.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

k2rugman wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:26 The topic of this book seems to come at an interesting time. The debate for guns vs no guns is a hot one. I might have to read this and see where it stands.
I'm also thinking the same thing.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I have read and reviewed the book, and overall the idea was very good. And tge relevance of the book couldnt have been better than in these times. With all the shootings and terror acts undertaken by people in schools, especially. My rating for book is 3. Considering that it could have been written a bit better.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

What I like most about Van Fleisher's novel is the challenging topics it addresses. Gun ownership with its many pros and cons is one of them and the other would be the threat and implications of death foretelling. I have read the begging of the story and Vince's realistic description as well as the authenticity of the domestic scenes between Vince and Trudi made a good impression on me. I have every intention of continuing to read the novel because it triggers my curiosity to see how different people react to the knowledge of their upcoming death.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
lori_parker2003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by lori_parker2003 »

Hephzi Lolami wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 22:26
lori_parker2003 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 09:26 Had trouble getting through the few pages they give to check out the book. Found it slow and I am a pro-gun person so this biased my view I think. Probably will not buy the book to read in full.
I would advise you to read the book. For me, i think its interesting and you should give it a tryout. Maybe the part given wasn't fascinating but if you're truly a pro-gun person as you said, I would advice you to check it out.
Well I may change my mind because I really hate to give up on a book. I know it is an interesting and thought provoking subject
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

Makes me sad to think that so many people may have cold-blooded murders on their bucket lists...not that I'm totally immune to the thought. I watch Mafia dramas all the time...still.
Also, some of the time reading this, I felt like I was in an Apple commercial. I get that he was trying to show ordinary details but I felt it veered close to product-placement at times.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I saw the email and read a few reviews. I have to be honest when I say that I don't like guns and I am not looking forward to owning a gun. And the concept of knowing when a person is going to die also doesn't sit well with me. But perhaps I will give the book a try once I finish the one I am currently reading.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

lori_parker2003 wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 10:16
Well I may change my mind because I really hate to give up on a book. I know it is an interesting and thought provoking subject
That's great to know.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I thought the idea of the watch that predicts your death was intriguing. It sounds like science fiction - but maybe not so much!! I liked how the author developed the double plot of the shootings and the story of Vince and Trudy. I did not like that he used the elderly as those who did the shootings. That was too far-fetched. I rate this book a 3 because of the formatting and spelling errors. Also, it was inferred that Trudi was doing something justified when she started the shootout at the rally.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

This was an interesting read for me. At first I couldn't get that far into.it. but I let it go for a day and then came back. And really enjoyed the rest.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

JessNWheeler wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:08 I enjoyed the plot of this novel. It is so important right now. People should take it seriously in the same way we should take “The Handmaid’s Tale” seriously. Both are works of fiction that could easily become the reality of our future. I rated the book 3 out 4 when I reviewed it, only because (1) there were a few grammatical errors, and (2) I wish that the author would have created a character that would have appealed more to the gun lovers out there. They need this novel more than anyone.
I haven't finished reading the book yet, but I do agree that a realistic character who supports the 2nd amendment would be helpful. The character wouldn't need to be extreme, just realistically supportive. The novel would likely reach a wider audience, and thus make more people step back to think.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

k2rugman wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:26 The topic of this book seems to come at an interesting time. The debate for guns vs no guns is a hot one. I might have to read this and see where it stands.
Guns and gun control has definitely been a hot topic for years, and will likely continue to be. With all the recent school shootings and such, this novel is indeed timely. So far, I find it very interesting.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

I agree that it would be beneficial to try to read more of the novel. I haven't finished it yet, but is has already made me pause a few times to think - not just the parts about guns and our access to them, but also the parts about the Final Notice option. Don't get me wrong, if you really can't stand the book, or the ideas of the author, then forcing yourself to read it isn't going to accomplish anything positive. There's definitely nothing wrong with having a strong opinion about issues that matter to you. I am pro-2nd amendment, and am reading with an open-mind. I think there is a happy medium that can be reached if we listen to each other.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”