What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by drunyan »

I wish that I did know when I was going to die. Since I am going to have surgery to remove cancer from my body next week, it would be helpful to know whether I am going to die or not. If I am, I can plan on being strressed because I feel I need to invest that time in my family, preparing them for what is going to happen.

If there is not going to be an end at that point, I would continue to live life as best as I can, like I typically do. Making sure I balance expectations of close family, expectations of those I supposedly work with ( long story), and my (presently non-existent) hopes .
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by llpwap »

I have always heard the saying, "ignorance is bliss." I think that saying defines exactly how I feel. There is no way I would want to know when I was going to die nor how I would perish. I think that if a person knew when they were going to die they couldn't fully live their life. They would be too cautious in some situations and a daredevil in others. I just believe knowing when your going to die goes against everything about living.
Rahul_Malviya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rahul_Malviya »

In case you already knows when you are going to die , you will loose the zeel and pleasure of life in presence , and actually you will die daily in worry of actually KNOWN death time..
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Post by juliecsa »

I would not want to know exactly when I am going to die. I have terrible anxiety, and knowing this would make me feel like I am constantly wasting time (more than I already do).
I think this technology might make some people more reckless, if they have a short amount less, which might not be good for society as a whole.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I personally wouldn't want to know.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Jennifer Fernandez wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 19:54 I personally wouldn't want to know.
That makes two of us.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

If scientists are able to make an invention for you to know your own demise then surely there will be no mystery in life anymore. There will be a wordwide paranoia and as we know it certain entities might make this an scapegoat for their own benefits.
emmalorex
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by emmalorex »

Knowing when u will die is another pain than death it self.
Ann10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann10.html
Latest Review: Apparent Faith by Karl Forehand

Post by Ann10 »

I don't think that I would benefit from getting the date of my demise. It would benefit my family members more than me.
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ems2 »

I suppose that you could get your affairs in order, but I wouldn't want to know. I agree with the person that said it would suck out all of the joy in life. I want the mystery of when it happens, so I can make myself believe that it's way off into the future.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

kfwilson6 wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 10:10 Given that this is a medical device which tells you only when you will die of natural causes, I think it is a very useful tool. It doesn't seem that different from finding out you have a life threatening illness and the doctor giving you a timeframe for how much longer you will have. It is that concept on a broader scope. The watch may actually prevent your death if it is a natural occurrence and medical treatment would make a difference. We are often so unaware of what is happening in our bodies: why does my stomach hurt, is this a heart attack or heart burn, am I having a stroke? The watch could help circumvent the consequences of the majority of us not having medical degrees. We wouldn't have to ask the question of ourselves, is this worth going to the hospital for? The risk of not going is mitigated because we would know if it is severe enough to warrant it.

If we were talking about some mystical device that can predict your death no matter how it occurs (car accident, war, hunting accident, etc.), that I would not want to have.
I have to agree that it would be a very useful tool in predicting natural death. Just because the first instances were vindictive in nature it doesn't mean all results would be that way. It wasn't given a lot of attention in the book, but many did donate their things to charity, got their lives in order and said goodbye to loved ones. I would like to have the chance to do those good things.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I think I would love to know personally. So I know how much time I have to achieve my dreams.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Knowing your time of death in advance is a central theme of the book. It’s a very interesting topic. Personally, I wouldn’t want to know. I think it would result in a constant fear of impending death and take enjoyment out of final days
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I think knowing when I will die will get in the way of real living. I'd be forever planning around that eventuality and thinking about it constantly! I guess the way it is now is the best way possible, and thankfully, everything else is in the realms of science fiction.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I would rather not know when I'm going to die.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”