What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by Snowhite189 »

The idea is there knowing the date of your passing, you get yourself prepared you go to church most hours of the day and ask forgiveness and the remaining hours is you spend it with your loved ones, and it never came out naturally and do you know the effect it will cause you, the agitate feeling of counting the years, the days and the hours and that i think that God never want us to experience, yes we are just visitors here on earth but it will never be a sin to enjoy our stay here provided that we always remember that all these things that we have right now are gift from God, never ever take it for granted and we should always be grateful.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

On one hand, it's terrifying to me to think about knowing when I'll die. I've started struggling with my own mortality recently, particularly at my birthdays, and I already feel like I have such little time on this Earth to become something and accomplish things I can be proud of. On the other hand, though, knowing when I'm going to die could potentially help me organize myself more so I can accomplish the things I want beforehand. Of course, I could also succumb to the pressure of it all and not manage to do anything at all. Plus, knowing when someone is going to do could make it easier for people who are actively dying from illnesses. For example, my grandmother is currently under at-home hospice care, receiving morphine every two hours, and supposed to pass away any day now due to lung cancer. And what are we, the family, doing? Sitting and waiting and wondering and praying it ends soon so she can finally be comfortable. If we knew when she was supposed to pass away, I think it'd be easier on us. It'd be easier on me, living in Japan and unable to be there for my family. I'm dreading that text saying it's over. It's emotionally draining.

I think if scientists do ever learn how to predict, accurately, someone's end, then they could announce it and allow those who want to know their death date to learn it. It should be an option, always. Those who don't want to know shouldn't be forced into learning it. I think it's greatest benefit could come from using it on terminally ill and actively dying folks, like I've said above.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

The idea of knowing when you will die is not a good idea to me. I won't want to know when I will die or what is in store for me in the future. I have seen doctors making this mistake of telling a patient when they will die especially if the illness is untreatable.

I think scientists can and might soon have the knowledge of how to predict someone's death. But even if they do get this information, I think they shouldn't let the information out.
Misshapencha0s
Currently Reading: Undeniable
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misshapencha0s »

The idea of death used to terrify me, sometimes it still causes anxiety attacks late at night, but I’ve come to accept that one day, all of us, and everyone who has ever lived, or will live, will eventually die. However, knowing when I would die is another story. I don’t want to know when, how, why, when, or where. I want it to be a random thing that I won’t anticipate. What fun would it be to countdown the days until your own death?
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

I don't think I would want to know. I think it would be amazing if science could know these things and if people had the option, but I think my quality of life would be worse if I knew exactly how much time I had left. Some of my favorite memories have been spontaneous and if I knew exactly how many days of life I had left, I would never do anything for the sake of maybe not having another chance. In the least cliche way possible, you only live once. I wouldn't want to spend that life thinking about when I will die. The only situation where I think I would want to know is if I were sick. For instance, if I had cancer and a week to live, I would spend it differently than if I had a year to live. For the most part, I think it's nice in theory, but I ultimately wouldn't want to know.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

When I am 100 years, I would really love to know when I will die but not before that. Also, I would like to know it from divine revelation not from science.
OKARONI JANET
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by OKARONI JANET »

The idea on one hand is terrifying and on the other a relief.Its terrifying in away that you will have to live knowing such date and time you will be no more.how sad! Leaving your family and friends behind and not being able to see them ever again is not that easy.
Its a relief on the other hand since one will be able to repent on hi or her sins,makeup with who wronged you and vise versa.You will have enough time to plan on your future and those of your kids if possible.
Prof_Reginald_Eke

Post by Prof_Reginald_Eke »

its a complicated question really but the reality is that when you have a short time to live, you will take life easy and cool,living better life, avoiding crisis due to the state of your troubled heart and mind that you will soon go.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Having this knowledge will teach us to number our days and therefore learn to act wiser knowing only up to when we will last. I have seen and read testimonies of people who started doing something good after being informed about a terminal illness, of how many years or months they have left to live. Imagine if everyone knows that, I think we would not be wasting so much time on useless stuffs because most people would like to live a lasting legacy.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

qsusan wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 07:08 My feelings are summarised in the statement
"Knowledge bred incidence even as it protected us from incidence."
- (a personal quote from me)

Knowing allows us to shield against known dangers but the mere act of knowing creates even more dangers. This is why Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden after they ate of the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Because they knew, they could sin. If i am colour-blind and I say red is green, have I told a lie? No. Why? Because I do not know.
Knowing changes things. However, I think the message of this book is not to fear knowledge but to be aware that all knowledge is a two sided sword- it can protect but it can also harm- and to guard accordingly.
This is exactly true! Knowing something doesn't exactly let you prevent it, but rather to be cautioned. And yet it doesn't change the fact that what is going to happen, will happen, whether you know it or not.

Would Adam and Eve have had tried the fruit, it they had not known it was evil? Yes, indeed they would've. But the knowledge of the evil in the fruit only prompted them to do it earlier. In case of death however, the knowledge might even make it earlier due to immoral mistakes.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
cianarae
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cianarae.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by cianarae »

This is such a hard question!

I think there are positives and negatives to this. Positives: You would be able to plan your life around it. For example, if I knew I was going to die at 22, I might just skip college and travel the world instead. Death probably wouldn't be seen as such a sad event anymore. Negatives: It would probably be really depressing to know your death day was coming up. I might get jealous of others who get to live longer lives than me. I also don't think our current world is set up for this. What I mean by that is that someone could just go into a ton of debt to do whatever they want before they die, and then just ... Well, die.

I think if scientists figured this out, we'd have to make some serious changes to our world before it would be ethical to release that information!
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I think knowing when you are going to die doesn't change much of anything. We all know we are dying at some point. Why should it matter when it will happen? There's this entire notion that if we know when we will die, for some reason that will change how we live. Well, we are all dying anyway, and I'd rather not know, and live my life the way I was intended, without regard to the expiration date.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

Lgs1089 wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 14:08 I think knowing when you are going to die doesn't change much of anything. We all know we are dying at some point. Why should it matter when it will happen? There's this entire notion that if we know when we will die, for some reason that will change how we live. Well, we are all dying anyway, and I'd rather not know, and live my life the way I was intended, without regard to the expiration date.
Every human being would die eventually, it is an universal statement. And yet, if we discover that we are going to die tomorrow, wouldn't we live our last day differently? In my opinion, for an average person, the knowledge of the date and time of their death would certainly change their whole perspective on life.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
kollygold

Post by kollygold »

Nobody knows when he dies, that's why he enjoy most time being alive because he does not know when he will pass out.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I would be so worried about my death that I couldn't enjoy the time I did have left. I know it seems like a nice idea that you could accomplish things on your bucket list that you've always wanted to do. There are so many issue this would cause though. Run up bills that you know you won't have to pay etc. It is a fun topic to ponder though, but I think if I had the choice I wouldn't want to know.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”