What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Lovestoreadb00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovestoreadb00ks.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by Lovestoreadb00ks »

I would not want to know when the end of my time is coming. I think that every day we have is precious and we should always be trying to live each day to the fullest. Doing the things we love and being around the people we love is what makes life worth living. If they ever figure out through science how to predict when people will die, I hope they never release anything about it.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

stedape wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 08:04 I'm not sure I really want to know. I just try to live each day as it comes; I try to do as much as I can while the time lasts.
I agree with you. Each day has a reason for us to smile because when we are gone, we created sweet memories for those who still live.
Derekthaboss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Derekthaboss »

I don't like the idea of knowing when I'll die not that I'm scared because I'm not I know without a shadow of a doubt that I'll be alright when I die I'm going to heaven cause I'm a Christian and I'm saved by the blood of Jesus
Britt_patch99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Britt_patch99 »

I would not want to know when I would die, I just feel that would lead to anxiety and always freaking out that that moment is closer. I honestly don't think I would be happy especially if it turned out closer than expected.
Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas
Currently Reading: Not Dead Yet
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinwale-taiwo-ilyas.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas »

I don't think I'll like it. Such awareness will create much anxiety that will lead to making series of urgent decision without thinking it through. though it will be of advantage to a religious person who have an understanding of life after death.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have often wondered.. What would I do if I get to know that I have very little time left to live? Would I even want to know? Or what my reaction will be if I do get to know? Will I be continuing my work, hoping to achieve something before I have to beg my leave? Or should I leave work and just stay home, spend my last few moments with my parents and relatives, may be reading my favourite books for one last time? Or should I be up and 'fight till the last breath'? Everything has such a sense of finality in it, I really cannot grasp the significance of it all.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

I'd be into the idea, you won't leave anyone in a mess if you know when to have your affairs in order in a way. You also have the opportunity to resolve any issues that you may not want to take the the grave. or the other way, you can really stick it to someone you hate and make sure you get the last word in. I'm petty, i'd very much like that tbh.
amcanelly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcanelly3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by amcanelly3 »

There is some merit to the old saying ignorance is bliss. For some enlightened people, knowing the day your time comes could be beneficial, but for most of us it would be detrimental to any success in our life. We strive to get done what we can while we can because we don't know when our time is up. How we live our lives would change drastically, and I don't think it would be for the better.

Can you imagine, though, the conversations that could come from that?
"No, sorry, I can't go with you to your best friend's wedding, I'll be dying that day. Want to come hang out now?"
"My dog walking services will be ending September 14th as I will be meeting my maker. But I am happy to walk Bobo up until the day before!"
"I'm dying next week so all I'm doing this week is binge watching The Office as many times as possible."
Courageart
Currently Reading:

Post by Courageart »

:( :( :shock: it s really scary to know when you will die especially when it is no longer far from you
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Britt_patch99 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:09 I would not want to know when I would die, I just feel that would lead to anxiety and always freaking out that that moment is closer. I honestly don't think I would be happy especially if it turned out closer than expected.
your right! you will die easily because you know the end of your life instead of enjoying for the last moment of your life. high blood pressure might rise up easily. :x
Shrijitaa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Shrijitaa »

I think this type of a technology would change the course of our lives altogether. As everything else in our world it too has solid pros and cons. The positive is we may want to live to the fullest every moment henceforth as we know and realise that our time here has a deadline.

But the con, which is what I assume the human nature would get more inclined to commit is trying to change the truth. Trying to do something about it even after knowing we can't. This would lead to devastation, exploitation and brutality.
Thus, I prefer not getting to know when I'll breathe my last because it might then kill the essence of living due to the fear of dying.
Felice01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Felice01 »

I wouldn't want to know and what if the date is wrong what if its sooner than you think. Knowing would make you crazy I think. It's better not to know.
bet12345

Post by bet12345 »

Sometimes this topic seems to scare.Nevertheless scientist who may come up with a way to knw when one will pass on,shld on do so but now it will dilute the matters of faith as our religions teaches.
Ampeekaa1380

Post by Ampeekaa1380 »

When you know the date of your death. Life becomes dark without any challenges. You do not have the trill to leave . Life becomes fearfull and bored . However , My point of view, it is always depends on the every individual , how they want to drive their destiny. Personally for me , i will.make sure i enjoy to the fullest before my death..tq
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I wouldn't want to know. I totally understand why some people would want to know, but having actual hard proof of my own impending mortality would sent me into a death spiral (pun intended) of anxiety and regret. Better not to know and just enjoy the ride. :)

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”