What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Elvis1+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by Elvis1+ »

Well, to me I don't want to know because,
It will become a pressure on me
MrsDarcy
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdarcy.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by MrsDarcy »

As a knee-jerk reaction, I'd say it would definitely be beneficial to know when you're going to die--but this is coming from someone who hates not knowing things. However, after giving it some thought, I think it would NOT be a good idea for people to know when they're going to die because it takes away the mystery and appreciation of our everyday lives. Unless the date in which you will die is 100% accurate, thus nothing you do up until that point would be fatal or detrimental to your life, then I could see the appeal in this knowledge. Because then you could basically do whatever activity you want, no matter how dangerous or life-threatening, and be reassured that you won't die from said activity.

Needless to say, it's an interesting topic to think about!
Worrin

Post by Worrin »

it can be a very interesting topic because for someone to know when he will die, i know they will try or do everything that they heart desire before dieting. the topic will help people to prepare for it. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Heck no, I would never want to know. I would not be able to live my life if I were consumed with the ticking by of the clock, painfully aware of what each tick signified. As far as wanting to know if I was going to die as a result of a violent crime...yeah, in that case I would want to know to at least feel like I had a fighting chance to avoid it.
bhaswati

Post by bhaswati »

Well franking saying I don't want to know how much time i have left and when i'll die.. Life is precious and want to live it. Sometimes it's better to remain something unknown. If we do get to know when we are going to die, it'll create extra burden to our mind. We will rush to do everything possible to live but forget to live freely
pambennington
Currently Reading:

Post by pambennington »

I don't want to know.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Knowing when you're die has its pros and cons. One can have the chance to make amends or do things they've been wanting to do but just didn't have the courage before when they know that they will soon not have the opportunity to do so. The bad side is when a person holds grudge and could not accept his death and might do something bad in order to take revenge or just to cheat on his death.
Afoaayoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Afoaayoe »

I do not think there is something bad in telling me when i will die, but even the doctors cannot say exactly what time talk less of a machine which can make errors. What about a criminal that been sentenced to death. what would such a person do? Thanks for your question and concern.
Anibejp2
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Anibejp2 »

To me, Such knowledge can reduce the life span of a man due to fear of death which can brings about death. Having the sole knowledge that one day you will surely report back is better than the knowledge that one is going to die on 21th March, 2018 (knowledge of the exact date of your own death). I bet you, this knowledge will strip man of his life even before the stipulated date. Let this be reserved to God and him ALONE.
Brandust17

Post by Brandust17 »

Dear god no..every second would be a count down.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die? I would say very irrelevant and needless in our pursuit of life. What thrill will there be left in living? As many have said, life is the journey and not the destination. As in a race if you already knew the result beforehand this could posit many awkward situations. If you knew you will be the winner, then how will you act? If you knew you will be the loser, what inspiration will you have?
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
garciaelay

Post by garciaelay »

If we will know when we'll die, then everything will be planned out. Gone are the thrills and excitements. Ignorance truly is a bliss. Everything is more fun when unplanned so why deprive yourself with the chance to enjoy life if you're constantly worrying about the time you're given in this world?
kegoffeney
Currently Reading: Elastic Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kegoffeney.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by kegoffeney »

Ugh. This is one of those instances where it's best that I don't even have the option of finding out. Because the short of it is that I don't want to know. But if there was a way out there for me to find out... I think the temptation would be too great. Even though I'd know I didn't want to know and it would drive me crazy knowing, I'd probably still check on a whim, then regret it forever.

So yeah. Don't want this technology to exist. At all. Ugh.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I have had more time to evaluate this question and while I still stand by my original post.. I have decided I think I be better to know than to not. Many people would be able to appreciate life and the people in their life better.
nyabuto lilian

Post by nyabuto lilian »

I think this is a big issue.I personally i would never want to know when i will die because i could not handle the fact that there is nothing i would do to change it.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”